Switching from SD to USB HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NJim, Nov 24, 2010.

Nov 24, 2010

Switching from SD to USB HDD by NJim at 2:55 PM (471 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. NJim
    OP

Newcomer NJim Member

Australia
    Hi, I'm extremely new to the whole Wii softmodding thing.. I just followed the 'complete softmod guide' in this section of the forums today, and everything is working great. I'm burning games onto DVDs and they work fine, but I realised that there are a lot of games I wouldn't be able to do this with, in particular those on Dual Layer DVDs.

I figured the way around this would be to switch to loading games from a USB External Hard Drive, but I have no idea how I would go about doing this.
    Can I just copy the files on my SD card to the HDD and plug it in and have it work?
    Is there anything special I need to do to get dual layer games to run with a USB loader?

Thanks.

2. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    read this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=179085

you can leave all the apps on the sd card, the games will go on the usb drive. some, but maybe not all, apps can also be stored on your usb drive if you really don't want to use the sd card.

3. NJim
    OP

Newcomer NJim Member

Australia
    Thanks a bunch.

Whats all this about all different cIOS's and stuff though.. Its a little bit overwhelming and I don't want to end up bricking my Wii . The easy softmod guide was simple enough because it told me exactly what to install.