Gaming Switching from a physical game to a eShop version...

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I have not seen this question asked anywhere. Can you use a save made from a cart game on an eShop game? I found out that games installed to internal NAND load faster then cartridge games. So I want to swap my physical copy of Breath of the Wild for the eShop version. But I don't know if the eShop version will be able to use the save I had made while playing the cart version. On other systems this would have been a silly question. But the Switch doesn't use carts for saves because of Nintendo's bone headed decisions. Saves are on NAND for cart games unlike the 3DS and older cart based consoles where the save was stored on the cart. (excluding some older N64 games where the save was on a controller add-on instead)

Has anyone attempted this? I would like to know if I can still use my save on the eShop copy before I consider doing this.

I don't really feel like having the cart version anymore because the save is always on NAND anyways and if the console dies, it will take the save with it. It's one of the things I don't like about the switch. So at this point I don't really feel the need to hold on to the physical copy anymore especially if the eShop version is going to load faster. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Reactions: Quantumcat

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As the saves are not stored on the carts, it should work without any problem.

But the difference of loading times between the two versions aren't that much, it's like a 2-3s difference from what I remember (I saw a video which was comparing them).

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah in theory. But the OS may still treat it as a separate title. I don't want to spend 60 bucks on the game and find out I can't use my old save on it...I need confirmation from someone who's actually done it.
Just think, you could be the first! Your contribution would help others until the end of time, and your name will live in infamy.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see why not. Wii U games use the same save for both disk and digital versions - I should know, as i started out all disk then went full digital halfway through.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure this works fine. Heard someone mention that it worked on a Podcast. Worked on Wii U just fine.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
convenience? it is so much easier to have all the games digitally downloaded, rather than having to swap around discs
Plus the discs can be misplaced or damaged, especially if you have siblings.

Between me and my three sisters somewhere in our respective houses we had several movies in the wrong cases and vice versa - though by now it seems that several have now been tossed because the movies aren't theirs.

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm I put 150 hours into botw via cartridge and last night I deleted all game data {not save data} and purchased and installed botw {along with installing all updates and dlc place holder} and yes my save is there and works just fine..

Reactions: Apache Thunder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: