• Views 75,214
  • Replies 255
  • Likes 21

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
All firmwares to my knowledge have exFAT support. However, exFAT is not enabled by default. When you insert an exFAT SD Card into a Switch it will pop up saying you need to update. Really what is happening here is that exFAT is patented by Microsoft, and to get around paying license fees for every Nintendo Switch they made it call home to activate. If you are on the latest firmware the activation downloads a Pkg2 that has exFAT enabled, else it will require you to update to the latest with exFAT already enabled. Instead to enable exFAT you can follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ -OR- you can just format you SD Card as Fat32 using guiformat: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tm...iformat-fat32-simple-windows-sd-card-t2960190
Ok, thanks for the reply !

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All firmwares to my knowledge have exFAT support. However, exFAT is not enabled by default. When you insert an exFAT SD Card into a Switch it will pop up saying you need to update. Really what is happening here is that exFAT is patented by Microsoft, and to get around paying license fees for every Nintendo Switch they made it call home to activate. If you are on the latest firmware the activation downloads a Pkg2 that has exFAT enabled, else it will require you to update to the latest with exFAT already enabled. Instead to enable exFAT you can follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ -OR- you can just format you SD Card as Fat32 using guiformat: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tm...iformat-fat32-simple-windows-sd-card-t2960190
exFAT support is only found in firmwares 2.0 and above. So for those of you who have been patiently waiting on 1.0 to use hacks have no other choice than to use FAT32.

Reactions: chronoss

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be wrong on this but I think that tutorial uses a game with the same firmware as your console to grab the exFAT update that's available for your firmware. The exFAT update is not linked to a system update or being on the latest firmware. However, Nintendo won't let us grab the update without updating our system (annoying but clever).

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I might be wrong on this but I think that tutorial uses a game with the same firmware as your console to grab the exFAT update that's available for your firmware. The exFAT update is not linked to a system update or being on the latest firmware. However, Nintendo won't let us grab the update without updating our system (annoying but clever).
Yes, it's for the game with the same firmware as your console...

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
exFAT support is only found in firmwares 2.0 and above. So for those of you who have been patiently waiting on 1.0 to use hacks have no other choice than to use FAT32.
Not that this affects the outcome, just idle curiosity, but is it actually true that 1.0 didn't include exfat support, or is it just that there's no way to activate it? Like hypothetically if 2.0 hadn't been released by launch, would 1.0 (as the latest firmware) have been able to go online and activate exfat?

Reactions: Deleted User

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that this affects the outcome, just idle curiosity, but is it actually true that 1.0 didn't include exfat support, or is it just that there's no way to activate it? Like hypothetically if 2.0 hadn't been released by launch, would 1.0 (as the latest firmware) have been able to go online and activate exfat?

all firmwares since 2.0.0 (and no firmwares) contain the exFAT support, it depends on how you get it and what NCA gets installed as package2
This is where I got that information from unless someone thinks he's lying

Reactions: hippy dave

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks, that's not super specific but it's something.

1. its not an SDXC cards update, it's an exFAT update that only shows up if you have exFAT as your first partition on the microsd
2. since exFAT requires paying royalties to microsoft, none of the firmware versions come with a kernel (package2) that supports it by default, it requires phoning home to nintendo to get the licence and new package2 (which will just update you to latest firmware if you arent on it already)
there is a package2 with exFAT support for each firmware version since 2.0.0, it doesnt require the latest one, but nintendo will only send you the latest one because why would they want you to be running old stuff ?
SomeGamer, if you actually have a 1.0.0 with exFAT support you should share your nand dump (without PRODINFO stuff to keep your certs safe) because nobody has had that before
Don't know if this helps, but it sounds more specific. Also removed rajkosto's username so he doesn't get bogged with notifications.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if this helps, but it sounds more specific. Also removed rajkosto's username so he doesn't get bogged with notifications.
Thanks, yeah he also had this reply to someone:

The games with 1.0.0 firmware like Zelda have a update partition and inside of it are the exfat package2. I extracted it but I don't have a 1.0.0 switch to try it. I also tried the same method with a 3.0.2 console and works.
You can't use that package2.
It's signed/encrypted for devkits, not retail consoles.
...which suggests exfat on 1.0 would have been possible with the right package2 available, but that hasn't happened. Maybe the dev-signed package2 could be made to work when booting a patched eg. Atmosphere 1.0, but not sure if anyone would want to or how you'd get on with an exfat card if your OFW didn't support it.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Downloaded 2.0.0 and placed all files just before 2.0.1 got released. Updating to 2.0.1, can I just replace the switchblade.bin, or should I also download the sdfiles?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies