• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,694
  • Replies 9
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
If you are at or below firmware 3.0 do not update, do not connect your Switch to the internet and do not play any games which require you to update.

If you are on 3.01 then it will be a few years, if ever before you can run homebrew.

I will not be responsible for any damages caused by this FAQ whether direct or indirect in any way, shape or form.

I doubt anyone still reads this so I will not update it anymore.

This was last updated on the 29th of August 2017. The information below may be out of date.

Now, for the FAQ:

I updated to 3.01. What do I do?

Downgrading is not possible due to the presence of e-fuses. As of 18/08/2017 if you buy a brand new Switch you will be fine.

Can I update to 3.0?
Launch copies of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle contain the 3.0 update.
As I mention several times below, re-runs may contain an update above 3.0.

If the system says an update is ready what version am I on?
At the time of writing it means you are on 3.0 or below. Do not update.
You can check the exact version by holding the + and - volume buttons while booting the system.
This thread explains how to remove update messages.

Is being below 3.0 bad?
Probably not. The exploit in question below exists in all system versions below 3.01.

What update is found on game x?
If it was released in September 2017 or later it will most likely be 3.01 or above.
Future prints of games already released may include an update beyond 3.0. This has not happened yet.

Can I download DLC and game updates?
Not without first updating the system.

What can I do on my Switch without updating?
You can play BotW, Mario Kart, Disgaea 5, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and ARMS.
Remember newer runs of these games may include an update above 3.0.

Can I block updates on game carts?
In the future, probably. Not yet.

Can I access the eshop without updating?
No.

Can I link my NNID without updating?
No.

My kid/sibling updated HELP!
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

How do I stop someone else from updating for me?
Say it's broken and keep it well-hidden. If you want to play it lock your door and use headphones.

Last edited by ,

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
No. There are no games with the 3.0 update on them. If you are below 3.0 remain where you are.
adding onto this, it should be impossible to update manually by installing titles too since the expected number of burnt fuses will be incorrect, resulting in a panic upon boot.

edit : blame my memory :(, this is false.

Last edited by iAqua,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adding onto this, it should be impossible to update manually by installing titles too since the expected number of bent fuses will be incorrect, resulting in a panic upon boot.

I don't think so actually. If the Wiki is accurate, if the number of efuses is *less* than what the firmware wants to see, it will burn them until it reaches the correct amount. It only panics if there are more efuses burned than expected.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think so actually. If the Wiki is accurate, if the number of efuses is *less* than what the firmware wants to see, it will burn them until it reaches the correct amount. It only panics if there are more efuses burned than expected.
-snip-
I lack basic intelligence.

Last edited by iAqua,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Did you read that? Essentially what that says is if too few are burnt, the bootloader will write the correct amount and then force a reset. So having too few efuses is fine, it's too many that causes a panic.

Reactions: iAqua

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
...Did you read that? Essentially what that says is if too few are burnt, the bootloader will write the correct amount and then force a reset. So having too few efuses is fine, it's too many that causes a panic.
oop, sorry for wasting your time man, that's my bad :).

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can add this to the FAQ: If the system says an update is ready. Then you are, currently, on 3.0.0 or lower. Do not update in this case.

This question has popped up enough to warrant a bullet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...