ROM Hack Switch Update From 5.1.0 Safe?

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running Version 5.1.0 with SX OS and loaded up the .xci file for octopath traveler. When I launched it from SX OS I was told there was an update for the game but in order to get the game update I must first update my System.

Are there any negative consequences of updating the system? Will SX OS loose ability to function? Can Microsoft tell that I am running SX OS? etc etc

Also, if updating the System is a bad option -> is there a way to still receive the update for Octopath Traveler?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you update via official means, you risk a ban because it involves connecting to Nintendo's online servers and normal/soft bans now prevent game updates. Your alternative is to download the Octopath Traveler update files in .NSP format and install them using either the title manager built into SX OS or Tinfoil (recommended).

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you update via official means, you risk a ban because it involves connecting to Nintendo's online servers and normal/soft bans now prevent game updates. Your alternative is to download the Octopath Traveler update files in .NSP format and install them using either the title manager built into SX OS or Tinfoil (recommended).

I'm sure a quick google search can turn up the results needed for the Octopath update in nsp format.

Is there a way to "install" the Switch Update file w/o connecting to the Microsoft servers? Or is there a way to "block" my switch from connecting to the servers?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure a quick google search can turn up the results needed for the Octopath update in nsp format.

Is there a way to "install" the Switch Update file w/o connecting to the Microsoft servers? Or is there a way to "block" my switch from connecting to the servers?
If you download it from your computer then install it offline via your Switch, then that doesn't involve connecting the console online.

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No those are considered copyrighted content and has be to downloaded from a designated warez site which cannot be shared here, even through PM. You will have to scour the Internet on your own.

Got ya - I did not realize those files had to be obtained through warez sites as well. I've got a few up my sleeve to locate the file.

Thanks for the knowledge!

chalupabatman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex -> I used ChoiDujourNX to install the firmware files, then selected to shut down my switch but now the switch will not power back on....

EDIT -
I held the power button for 30 seconds and then used SX OS to boot. I was able to select the Boot Custom Firmware option, but once that is pressed the screen goes black and never comes back on...

Last edited by chalupabatman,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex -> I used ChoiDujourNX to install the firmware files, then selected to shut down my switch but now the switch will not power back on....

EDIT -
I held the power button for 30 seconds and then used SX OS to boot. I was able to select the Boot Custom Firmware option, but once that is pressed the screen goes black and never comes back on...
What version of SX OS are you using?

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You should be about as safe with your Nintendo Switch connecting to Microsoft servers to update as your iPhone is likely to get updated by Blackberry... so don't worry, you're good! B-)

I normally don't mock people over a little mistake but you called it 'Microsoft servers' even after Draxzelex said 'NINTENDO SERVERS' and then you asked a million more questions that are literally answered everywhere else... forgive me for losing the desire to get more involved.

Maybe Google 'laziness' and 'attention to detail' before you decide if hacking your Microsoft Switch is worth it or not.

Last edited by Albytrozz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey