Hardware Switch Unresponsive After Battery Unplug

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took apart my Switch to unplug the battery because of drainage issues. I unplugged the battery, plugged it back in, tried my best to reconnect the microSD reader (it’s connected I think it’s pretty sturdy), and decided to turn it on to test it. I have AutoRCM, so I turned on the Switch and sent a payload for the newest version of hekate with my injector.

Keep in mind the events that follow happened before, then the Switch started working for unknown reasons, then it broke again randomly when I was putting the screws back.

I then encountered this strange and slightly scary screen, which is an error message from the creator of my Trinket M0 payload injector. It stays on until I click the power button, when the system seems to shut down. When I connect it to a computer in RCM, nothing detects APX.

Can anyone guide me back to a working Switch? I am really confused and worried on why it’s suddenly broken again. I don’t think I did anything. At least the battery is working correctly again.

Attachments

• 764FE5F2-3541-4636-A3B3-01EBF0E56F52.jpeg
    764FE5F2-3541-4636-A3B3-01EBF0E56F52.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: OrGoN3

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the switch worked before you took it apart ? battery drainage issues are because of AutoRcm. Taking it apart and unplugging the battery can not change that(maybe I am missing some thing)

From what I understand you took it apart in hopes to fix a known issue in a manor that can not fix the issue... and now your switch does not work at all...

sound like you did not put it back together right or broke some thing.

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the switch worked before you took it apart ? battery drainage issues are because of AutoRcm. Taking it apart and unplugging the battery can not change that(maybe I am missing some thing)

From what I understand you took it apart in hopes to fix a known issue in a manor that can not fix the issue... and now your switch does not work at all...

sound like you did not put it back together right or broke some thing.

Yes, it worked, but it was draining from 100% to 0% in 60 seconds. Huh? No, I heard unplugging the battery is the only way to fix that issue. Apparently, there’s also a software fix, but it didn’t work for me.

No, I took it apart in an effort to fix it in a way many, many people were saying is how to fix it. I didn’t do anything but unplug the battery and plug it back in firmly along with unplugging the SD card reader and plugging that back in firmly.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it worked, but it was draining from 100% to 0% in 60 seconds. Huh? No, I heard unplugging the battery is the only way to fix that issue. Apparently, there’s also a software fix, but it didn’t work for me.

No, I took it apart in an effort to fix it in a way many, many people were saying is how to fix it. I didn’t do anything but unplug the battery and plug it back in firmly along with unplugging the SD card reader and plugging that back in firmly.
Clearly, you didn't put something back correctly, otherwise this wouldn't be showing up. You mention the error screen is from your trinket payload. How about asking the creator (mattytrog?) what that error message means. Then use brain power to figure out why you are seeing that error message and what needs to be fixed.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1st post never said it was happening in just 60 seconds... Huh! Yes. The battery is shot get a new one, and find what ever damage you make taking it apart and correct it.

next time you take it apart you may as well add new thermal paste.

Last edited by Undwiz,

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly, you didn't put something back correctly, otherwise this wouldn't be showing up. You mention the error screen is from your trinket payload. How about asking the creator (mattytrog?) what that error message means. Then use brain power to figure out why you are seeing that error message and what needs to be fixed.

I’ll try to send him a message if the following doesn’t change anything. I guess I’ll reopen the Switch and do all the steps I did over again. It’s just weird: it was working fine with the backing exposed and everything plugged in. I turned it off. Then all I did was screw the backplate in, and it broke right after. It doesn’t make any sense because it’s just a covering.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1st post never said it was happening in just 60 seconds... Huh! Yes. The battery is shot get a new one, and find what ever damage you make taking it apart and correct it.

next time you take it apart you may as well add new thermal paste.

Yes, a lot of people have had that drainage problem after leaving their Switch unused for an extended period of time. Many of them have to just power their Switch on every once in a while for no reason because of that issue, which is kind of ridiculous. I’ll look into getting a new battery. All right, good idea.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ll try to send him a message if the following doesn’t change anything. I guess I’ll reopen the Switch and do all the steps I did over again. It’s just weird: it was working fine with the backing exposed and everything plugged in. I turned it off. Then all I did was screw the backplate in, and it broke right after. It doesn’t make any sense because it’s just a covering.

Did you bridge/spark something by accident? Were you wearing anything to prevent that?

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you bridge/spark something by accident? Were you wearing anything to prevent that?
I’m not sure. I don’t believe so since I was being as careful as I could, but I could be wrong because I’m not that knowledgeable about dealing with hardware, and I probably wouldn’t recognize it if I did. No, I wasn’t.

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not sure. I don’t believe so since I was being as careful as I could, but I could be wrong because I’m not that knowledgeable about dealing with hardware, and I probably wouldn’t recognize it if I did. No, I wasn’t.
I mean, if you're going to be doing this again, wear gloves if you don't have any ESD protective gear. Regular doctor gloves or whatever they are called.

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, a lot of people have had that drainage problem after leaving their Switch unused for an extended period of time. Many of them have to just power their Switch on every once in a while for no reason because of that issue, which is kind of ridiculous. I’ll look into getting a new battery. All right, good idea.

There is also a drainage issue that comes with using autoRCM. You failed to mention the battery dies in 60 seconds in the 1st post. at that point would seem the battery needs re-calibrated.

but in the end software not helping or taking it apart and now is worse..... it don't work now because you did not put it back together right..... figure out what you did wrong.... and check back in.. to many reasons it may not work after taking it apart....

No one here can tell you what you did wrong when you took it apart.

Last edited by Undwiz,

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if you're going to be doing this again, wear gloves if you don't have any ESD protective gear. Regular doctor gloves or whatever they are called.

All right, I’ll wear gloves tomorrow.

There is also a drainage issue that comes with using autoRCM. You failed to mention the battery dies in 60 seconds in the 1st post. at that point would seem the battery needs re-calibrated.

but in the end software not helping or taking it apart and now is worse..... it don't work now because you did not put it back together right..... figure out what you did wrong.... and check back in.. to many reasons it may not work after taking it apart....

No one here can tell you what you did wrong when you took it apart.

I thought it could re-calibrate itself if I plugged out and back in. At least, that’s what I was led to believe. It seems like that draining issue is happening to normal stock Switches as well after long periods of not turning it on, so how does autoRCM specifically cause that?
Okay, I’ll try to redo it and see if I can do it better.
Yeah, you’re right....

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I’ll wear gloves tomorrow.

I thought it could re-calibrate itself if I plugged out and back in. At least, that’s what I was led to believe. It seems like that draining issue is happening to normal stock Switches as well after long periods of not turning it on, so how does autoRCM specifically cause that?
Okay, I’ll try to redo it and see if I can do it better.
Yeah, you’re right....

Being you never actually said the time of drain and the fact that the Autorcm thing is known thing, that's why I would assume rcm drain, you said it was hacked in 1st post so the stock thing does not apply. in the end just trying to help and figure out the situation, since you failed to mention everything in 1st post. Not going to reply any more because you are kinda cocky and think you know it all. I don't know it all either was just trying to figure thins out..

But...... in the end you broke it cause you took it apart with out care LOL ...... good luck

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being you never actually said the time of drain and the fact that the Autorcm thing is known thing, that's why I would assume rcm drain, you said it was hacked in 1st post so the stock thing does not apply. in the end just trying to help and figure out the situation, since you failed to mention everything in 1st post. Not going to reply any more because you are kinda cocky and think you know it all. I don't know it all either was just trying to figure thins out..

But...... in the end you broke it cause you took it apart with out care LOL ...... good luck

I might’ve come off as a bit rude because I am upset and because some very reputable people were saying in another thread that recalibrating the battery is what I should’ve done (so kind of like which opinion would I value higher). I did take it apart with care...not a fan of you assuming. Okay, I’ll take that luck.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jesus you guys, stop being such dicks just because you wannabe know it all messed up. you assumed a wrong issue 'cause you didn't recognize the known battery issues that would lead someone to unplug the battery.

Like half the posts are people shitting on op for not mentioning this wasn't an rcm issue which you could've also deduced yourself.

Back to topic,
It seems to me that something could be wrong with the trinket itself? Maybe a wire broke when you reassembled your system?
Static could've also broken something as mentioned, but if that's the case, you won't find out without a multimeter and tons of time...
So I'd bank on the trinket for now

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus you guys, stop being such dicks just because you wannabe know it all messed up. you assumed a wrong issue 'cause you didn't recognize the known battery issues that would lead someone to unplug the battery.

Like half the posts are people shitting on op for not mentioning this wasn't an rcm issue which you could've also deduced yourself.

Back to topic,
It seems to me that something could be wrong with the trinket itself? Maybe a wire broke when you reassembled your system?
Static could've also broken something as mentioned, but if that's the case, you won't find out without a multimeter and tons of time...
So I'd bank on the trinket for now

It’s okay, I’m pretty stupid in some ways anyway.

Hm, could be that. I was having problems with the Trinket today as well, and I only fixed it by flashing it with an old version of the software. I’ll be taking a closer look at the internals tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll notice something if anything seems off. Sorry, I’m a little confused by the slang; you mean I should keep trying the Trinket? I haven’t actually tried TegraRCMGUI, and I might as well try literally everything....

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because that error isn't your switch but the dongle. Something is wrong with the dongle.

Do you happen to have a USB-A to USB-C cable?
https://webcfw.sdsetup.com/ - try using this site if so.

If you APX doesn't show up, your battery might just be faulty. It's thankfully really easy to remove and put in a new one! It's just really sticky according to guides so you need to take it slow taking it out.

Also you might need to leave the Switch charing WITH THE NINTENDO CHARGER for a while, before it starts. Your battery might be completely empty.

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because that error isn't your switch but the dongle. Something is wrong with the dongle.

Do you happen to have a USB-A to USB-C cable?
https://webcfw.sdsetup.com/ - try using this site if so.

If you APX doesn't show up, your battery might just be faulty. It's thankfully really easy to remove and put in a new one! It's just really sticky according to guides so you need to take it slow taking it out.

Also you might need to leave the Switch charing WITH THE NINTENDO CHARGER for a while, before it starts. Your battery might be completely empty.

Ah, yes, it is. I have tried using web injectors, but they don’t detect the Switch. Hm...could changing the battery bring a Switch back to life?

I have been charging my Switch for quite a while, so at this point, I don’t think that’s going to let it turn on :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse