Homebrew RELEASE Switch Remote Play - Stream your PC to your Switch

medwinxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys! First of all I would like to thank Moehammered for the great amazing job! My Laptop GT940MX 8gb RAM was able to stream and it looks good on my switch.
@Moehammered , can you do a rumble feature on the switch controller as I believe it is already x360emulated?
Many thanks again!

Sayshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi there, new user here just to say thank you so much for making this!

Everything works as intended, though I notice when I connect to the TV the audio output suddenly gets quite static-y. It's fine when in handheld mode though.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong?

Vaddum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi! First of all, I'd like to thank Moehammered for this amazing homebrew! Secondly, I'd like to know if there is a way to use the tactile screen of the Switch to move the mouse pointer? For instance, this option is fully functional in ScummVM and it is really useful to play point and click games. If you already answered this kind of question, I'm sorry to ask it again.

Moehammered

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi guys! First of all I would like to thank Moehammered for the great amazing job! My Laptop GT940MX 8gb RAM was able to stream and it looks good on my switch.
@Moehammered , can you do a rumble feature on the switch controller as I believe it is already x360emulated?
Many thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words :)
Looking at the ViGEm driver code, it looks like it is possible for me to get rumble data from the emulated controller.
I can't make any promises however, as I'm backlogged and quite busy.
If you'd like, open an issue on the github page and mark it as a feature request. That way I won't forget when I have more time.

Hi there, new user here just to say thank you so much for making this!

Everything works as intended, though I notice when I connect to the TV the audio output suddenly gets quite static-y. It's fine when in handheld mode though.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong?

Thank you for confirming this bug. It is an open issue (see here) and I haven't had time to investigate it yet. I also have the issue of not having a TV or monitor available for me to test during development so this bug will take quite a bit of time to be solved hence it's low priority for me at the moment. Handheld is prioritised but I will be introducing a feature to disable audio streaming as a band-aid till I can determine the audio issue.

Hi! First of all, I'd like to thank Moehammered for this amazing homebrew! Secondly, I'd like to know if there is a way to use the tactile screen of the Switch to move the mouse pointer? For instance, this option is fully functional in ScummVM and it is really useful to play point and click games. If you already answered this kind of question, I'm sorry to ask it again.

Appreciate the nice words. The touch screen at the moment is only used to toggle mouse/controller input modes.
Adding the ability to simulate mouse inputs via the touch screen will be implemented in the future. There is an open issue for it here.

A word to all users (both current and future)
For future reference, I have a Kanban board to show what I'm currently working on at the moment here.

The hardest parts are half done for the upcoming release. Soon I will be updating the PC program for the next release.
The next release will be a major release and will break compatibility with older configs. This is due to configuration being split into multiple files (as well as other code related issues).
So when the next release comes out, please make sure to read the update notes carefully.

ETA? I don't want to give one because I am quite busy due to full-time work and preparing to take on freelance work (having 2 jobs).
But fret not, I am actively chipping away at the project and am very keen to make the next release :)

Thanks to everyone who has been patient!

Moehammered

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am on 11.0.1 but will it still work if I update to 12?
I can't know for sure (I'm still on 10.x myself) but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If it doesn't work you can roll back the firmware update. Or you can wait for someone in the thread to report that it works on that version.

If you do pull the trigger and update, can you report back whether or not it does work so anyone else in the future will know?

D

Deleted User

I'm not updating yet but just trying to find out. But from what I've read most apps are broken on 12 that were working before 12.

Moehammered

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Drum roll please... Switch Remote Play v0.9.0 has been released! (I'm kinda scared)

This release includes so many changes, I can't and don't want to rattle them all off. Most of it is refactoring the UI to support some new features and make it easier to add encoder codecs. That's right add encoder codecs!

I'll keep this post brief, go on to the release page to see all the changes but the main ones are:
  • AMD GPU Hardware Encoder Added (H264 AMF)
    • This is in the Encoder Configuration screen when you change the codec and use the d-pad left/right to go to the codec options page
  • CPU Encoder Simplified
    • Simplified the CPU encoder parameters and also added a couple more
  • Invert Analog X and Y axis! (Kept you waiting, huh? @mathew77
    • Can now invert the X and Y axis for the left and right analog respectively
  • Complete configuration overhaul
    • Old configuration files are no longer compatible
    • Configuration files are now split up to make it easier to read the values and store them
  • Wiki pages added!
    • Added some wiki pages to help make maintaining documentation a bit easier
Please get the latest version, go to the wiki, and get setup!

Thanks everyone for being patient with this release. I cannot explain how busy I've been and still am! To make this release I had to spend the 50 minute train rides to work chipping away at it for the past few months.

And I managed to wrap up the changes and do lots of testing the past weekend. Then I spent around 6 hours today doing some final testing, and writing up the documentation on the wiki. So I'm a little bit burnt out but it's satisfying to have this release finally out!

If there are any issues, feel free to post them into this thread and I'll get around to checking them out some time tomorrow.

Enjoy!! :D

Sayshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Atmosphere updated, yay!

Tested the latest build. Two things:
- The audio is now crackly and inaudible at least in my version. This is both when in Handheld and TV mode
- Could we get some new recommended default settings for the new settings? I'm not sure which ones I should be using (which could be related to the above bug.

Moehammered

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Atmosphere updated, yay!

Tested the latest build. Two things:
- The audio is now crackly and inaudible at least in my version. This is both when in Handheld and TV mode
- Could we get some new recommended default settings for the new settings? I'm not sure which ones I should be using (which could be related to the above bug.

Awesome to hear it's working on the latest Atmosphere CFW.

For recommended settings, I've just finished writing up a very extensive set of pages. In them there are sample settings. Give them a look.

For the audio issue, there are a few open issues already about it. See this wiki page to learn for potential fixes you can try.

Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: hippy dave

TheZampo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Any way of connecting through the usb?
I've been looking through USB tethering implementations, and a USB mode would be incredible for this. It would be basically a second handheld monitor for gaming, almost lag free and without "hickups". I might look into helping developing something if is doable...

Also, I got the same issue that someone said before through the Wi-fi.

Panic occurred while running atmosphere.
Title ID: 010041544d53000
Error: DABRT (0x101)

Press POWER to continue.

In the pc console:

[gdigrab @ 0000025a5585ee00] Capturing whole desktop as 1280x720x32 at (0,0)
[gdigrab @ 0000025a5585ee00] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
Input #0, gdigrab, from 'desktop':
Duration: N/A, start: 1625879412.076808, bitrate: 1769497 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: bmp, bgra, 1280x720, 1769497 kb/s, 60 fps, 1000k tbr, 1000k tbn, 1000k tbc
[tcp @ 0000025a55867b00] Connection to tcp://192.168.0.101:20003 failed: Error number -138 occurred
tcp://192.168.0.101:20003: Unknown error

Last edited by TheZampo,

Moehammered

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Any way of connecting through the usb?
I've been looking through USB tethering implementations, and a USB mode would be incredible for this. It would be basically a second handheld monitor for gaming, almost lag free and without "hickups". I might look into helping developing something if is doable...

I've mentioned this in the past, but I have no interest in developing a USB viable version. There is quite a lot involved in doing so. The main thing making me completely disinterested with it is writing a USB driver for it and then writing the related driver code for the Switch. This will then lead to needing a USB driver written for the Linux host version when I get around to that. And doing so via USB makes no sense for me considering if it's plugged in via USB then I may as well just connect my PS4 controller to my PC and play.

The second monitor usage I have looked into it, and have thought of a way to implement it over WiFi but setup for the end user is quite involved. I might end up making this idea as a project in the future because I can see a use for the Switch as a secondary monitor.

USB also has some potential issues with interference. Regardless, I understand your suggestion. Thank you for the idea! I'm just not interested nor do I have the time for it. Sorry.

Also, I got the same issue that someone said before through the Wi-fi.

Panic occurred while running atmosphere.
Title ID: 010041544d53000
Error: DABRT (0x101)

Press POWER to continue.

In the pc console:

[gdigrab @ 0000025a5585ee00] Capturing whole desktop as 1280x720x32 at (0,0)
[gdigrab @ 0000025a5585ee00] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
Input #0, gdigrab, from 'desktop':
Duration: N/A, start: 1625879412.076808, bitrate: 1769497 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: bmp, bgra, 1280x720, 1769497 kb/s, 60 fps, 1000k tbr, 1000k tbn, 1000k tbc
[tcp @ 0000025a55867b00] Connection to tcp://192.168.0.101:20003 failed: Error number -138 occurred
tcp://192.168.0.101:20003: Unknown error

I'm guessing your Switch crashed? The only time I get it to crash is when I put the quality settings far too high on the AMD codec.

When did it happen? What were you doing? Did you try changing the encoder settings?

Please when reporting issues make sure to include the configuration information and your PC hardware/environment.

Can you tell me the following?
  • PC
    • Windows version: 64 or 32 bit?
    • CPU
    • GPU
    • RAM
    • HDD or SSD
    • Network card: Wifi or Ethernet?
  • Switch
    • Atmosphere CFW version
    • System Firmware version
    • Clock rate
    • Encoder configuration: CPU or AMD codec?
    • Encoder settings for the CPU or AMD codec
Please also make sure to attach the following files from the switch/switch-remote-play directory:
  • common.ini
  • h264_cpu.ini
  • h264_amd.ini
Hopefully we can solve your issue for you :)

TheZampo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And doing so via USB makes no sense for me considering if it's plugged in via USB then I may as well just connect my PS4 controller to my PC and play.

Yeah, I completely agree. My setup is very uncommon, and I use a 5-meter baseus USB c cable. So this cable reaches the PC, and I can use the monitor to watch something while chilling in the bed with the switch.
My idea was initially to use the USB C to connect to the network, and not transfer directly through the USB. I'm pretty sure it's doable in the android, just curious about the switch. It sounds annoying, but just maybe you have some knowledge to point me in some direction, it shouldn't be that hard for me to code it.

I'm guessing your Switch crashed? The only time I get it to crash is when I put the quality settings far too high on the AMD codec.

When did it happen? What were you doing? Did you try changing the encoder settings?

Let's start the troubleshooting then!
Yes, it did crash, multiple times. It didn't work even once.
It happens when I'm connecting to the PC host. The connection starts, the PC changes the resolution and the frequency... but the switch crashes and that error shows on console.

Already tried leaving the PC in the correct resolution, changing the resolution on the switch, the framerate. Multiple settings, and same error always.
And also the encoder settings made no difference as far as I know. I didn't change that much, because I didn't want to "trial and error" with a panic error. So I guess it's better at least know what I'm doing to troubleshoot through here.

Please when reporting issues make sure to include the configuration information and your PC hardware/environment.

Can you tell me the following?
  • PC
    • Windows version: 64 or 32 bit?
    • CPU
    • GPU
    • RAM
    • HDD or SSD
    • Network card: Wifi or Ethernet?
  • Switch
    • Atmosphere CFW version
    • System Firmware version
    • Clock rate
    • Encoder configuration: CPU or AMD codec?
    • Encoder settings for the CPU or AMD codec
Please also make sure to attach the following files from the switch/switch-remote-play directory:
  • common.ini
  • h264_cpu.ini
  • h264_amd.ini
Hopefully we can solve your issue for you :)

PC:
Windows 64 bits
Intel Core I5-9400F
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super
32gb RAM
SSD
Ethernet

Switch:
Atmosphere 19.2
Firmware version 11.0.0
Tried multiple clocks. The default and overclocked
Encoder configuration and settings are default so far. I thought messing with this would make it better/worse when it works, but not "fix my problem".

Here are the files!

Thank you for the help, and this amazing tool! Hope to get it working soon! :)

Attachments

• switch.zip
    785 bytes · Views: 104

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1