Hardware Switch overheating issues causing supply issues?

D

Deleted-355425

What has burning your finger got to do with anything? Heat effects electronic components and shortens their life span, if they used thermal paste this will also go bad sooner and you will get the whole thing over heating.

what testing are you taking about with the switch? Considering it's not been around for very long yet we haven't seen the effects kick in yet.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has burning your finger got to do with anything? Heat effects electronic components and shortens their life span, if they used thermal paste this will also go bad sooner and you will get the whole thing over heating.

what testing are you taking about with the switch? Considering it's not been around for very long yet we haven't seen the effects kick in yet.
If it were overheating then I would agree with you. But operating at normal temps the switch won't break down any faster than any other system. Spawnwave did a video where he actually attached a temp sensor to the switch SoC and that you have to intentionally conver up the switch to get it to start overheating beyond normal operating temperatures. It is a more cramped container than a pc, but the chip is also much lower powered so that argument is really ineffective.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The temperature to where plastic and metal in the Switch can be warped is far higher than the temperature limit that causes the Switch to shutdown by itself. The only way you're going to get it to warp/melt is by some external circumstance.

Just recently, someone reported that their Switch was getting very hot while docked, even when completely turned off and simply siting there for hours on end. Thought it was a battery issue. Turned out that the power bar his dock was plugged into was defective. When he plugged into the wall, everything was ok.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-355425

If it were overheating then I would agree with you. But operating at normal temps the switch won't break down any faster than any other system. Spawnwave did a video where he actually attached a temp sensor to the switch SoC and that you have to intentionally conver up the switch to get it to start overheating beyond normal operating temperatures. It is a more cramped container than a pc, but the chip is also much lower powered so that argument is really ineffective.

If you cram electronics in a confined space with little air flow it will die quicker then a system that has more room in the case, its as simple as that.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you cram electronics in a confined space with little air flow it will die quicker then a system that has more room in the case, its as simple as that.
Again that would only be true if it were overheating, which the switch isn't. The switch has enough air flow for its fairly low powered chip. Confined space only causes issues when it creates overheating issues, which it's been proven the switch doesn't have.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
time will tell, its still a new product.

This is an interesting read: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2850-nintendo-switch-temperature-noise-and-throttles
For those who don't want to read the article and want bullet points:
Sensors were placed on SoC and one mem chip
Switch was docked the entire time and botw was used to test
Throughout the play session the temps stayed within operating temps (below 60 ie not overheating)
Frame dips mentioned, but article dates before BOTW updates that resolved those issues a bit
Fan is loud

D

Deleted-355425

You missed the bit:

These thermocouples only give us an effective case temperature, so we don’t have a junction temperature as of now.

It's going to be hotter then what they read,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There does not seem to be a heating issue.... The third part support is the hardest for Nintendo. they got a popular product. its now a matter of the douche bag third parties making for it.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add on to this subject, today while plying in hand held mode I noticed the fan is unreasonably loud on my switch. I can hear it over the volume at halfway playing botw and when I tilt the unit I can hear it get progressively louder. I've never dropped it and I take good care of my systems. I'll see if I can upload the audio... And it won't let me, I'll try tomorrow

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add on to this subject, today while plying in hand held mode I noticed the fan is unreasonably loud on my switch. I can hear it over the volume at halfway playing botw and when I tilt the unit I can hear it get progressively louder. I've never dropped it and I take good care of my systems. I'll see if I can upload the audio... And it won't let me, I'll try tomorrow
Yeah, that's happened to me to in BotW, but only ever after having it on for a long time while playing, and it doesn't even get that hot

D

Deleted-355425

Everything I've stated is either fact, backed by fact or an educated guess based on fact.

I work in electronics and SMT for a living, you are only stating opinion and a stupid YouTube video. Board and internal component temps are way different to just a case temperature.

Last edited by ,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work in electronics and SMT for a living, you are only stating opinion and a stupid YouTube video. Board and internal component temps are way different to just a case temperature.
We've seen more evidence proving the switch doesn't overheat. Give me evidence of it having overheating problems and I'll listen, but right now any evidence we have shows the switch is not overheating. Loud yes, but not overheating.

D

Deleted-355425

We've seen more evidence proving the switch doesn't overheat. Give me evidence of it having overheating problems and I'll listen, but right now any evidence we have shows the switch is not overheating. Loud yes, but not overheating.

as I said earlier time will tell as it's still a new product, it gets so hot it affects gameplay. As this argument started out this thing won't last as long as a system that is spaced out and has room in the case compared to the switch which is packed into a small enclosure. You brought the Over heating thing up... not me, over heating isn't a set temperature either. It's set to switch off at an agreed temperature and that can be high enough to shorten the life span of parts of the product/pastes.

I'm stopping this argument now because you have no idea what you are talking about and YouTube is your evidence.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Your computer components are not crammed into a little case with a tiny hole in the top for the heat to escape.
Nor were your computer components designed to be. Tegra X1 is very much meant for a smaller form factor. And I've never seen it overheat once, in my Shield TV or Switch. I should also note that my Shield TV is used in the same room as a hot tub, where it's about 20 degrees hotter and about 80% humidity all the time. In other words, you'd have to do something very stupid to overheat either device, IE wrap it in a towel/blanket and cover all the vents. I've watched Youtube videos where the Switch handled even that with little issue, until it was double-wrapped.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far