Switch OLED (HWFLY) not starting properly

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys i got my Switch OLED back from my modchip installer yesterday and it was working at the beginning. Then after a while i restarted the console it didn't turn on properly anymore and the HWFLY v3 OLED chip started blinking red for like 1-2 minutes und then started to blink yellow a couple times and then the lights go out and the screen stays black (but the console is on). When connected to the computer the Switch is in RCM Mode after the lights of the modchip go out.

I was able to start the console once when i plugged out the sd card and put in my sd card backup that i saved on my computer. Plugged it back into the switch and it booted. Now one day later i restarted the console again and the same issue. If I try to use the SD backup on my computer again it's not working. (Maybe it was just coincidence anyway).

Does anyone have a solution for this? Im kinda newb to this did i mess something up or was it the installer who messed up.

Thanks for the inputs

Attachments

• VID-20220306-WA0013.mp4
    8.8 MB

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello this is what i currently have on my sd card.

Attachments

• 20220306_174931.jpg
    20220306_174931.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 237

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove the SD card from your Switch and turn it on - and show us what is displayed on the screen.
Also tell us, if the LED is acting the same, when you have no SD card inserted in your Switch.

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Remove the SD card from your Switch and turn it on - and show us what is displayed on the screen.
Also tell us, if the LED is acting the same, when you have no SD card inserted in your Switch.
It acts exactly the same without the sd card as well. Complete black screen and same blinking. Also the "red" light seems to have a little bit of blue / purple in it, but its more red than anything else. Not sure if it makes a difference

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would contact your installer - if it acts like this w/o a SD card inserted, then something is wrong with the installation.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
If you can I would take the backplate off of the Switch and look at the chip properly. When I was trying to diagnose an issue with my console the LED looked a different colour through the grating than it did looking directly at it.
If you look at this red can mean that the chip is unable to read packets from the emmc, indicating that maybe the dat0 board has slipped out of place.
https://github.com/Spacecraft-NX/fi...d6539e395785906785/firmware/src/glitch.c#L383

Reactions: Tayfunx3

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you may get 0.6.2 on there (https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/releases/tag/0.6.2) and diagnose over USB or use the updated LED patterns to figure out where it fails.

does the led actually cut out or is that a video artifact?
Currently it has version 0.6.1 on it. It looks a bit different than in the video the red light blinks slower and not as hectic and once per second. I have the usb thing, how can i update it to the next version and diagnose it? Thanks!

Not sure at this point if the guy who flashed and sold me the chip made a little mistake or the hardware installer. Anyway i should probably visit the hardware modder but he doesnt have much exlerience in switch modding (only soldering)

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
please make a clear distinction between blinking and pulsing when describing the led pattern

just remove the backplate, that'll expose the USB connection enough. insert and run flash.bat from the archive and you're good to go.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently it has version 0.6.1 on it. It looks a bit different than in the video the red light blinks slower and not as hectic and once per second. I have the usb thing, how can i update it to the next version and diagnose it? Thanks!
If you have 0.6.1 Firmware on your chip it should hopefully have had the same version Bootloader, do you know if the latter was flashed to your chip?
If so you can update to 0.6.2 with the Hwfly-toolbox, the bootloader was only updated with 0.6.1

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys i gave it to the chip installer the other day i got my switch back now and it's working.

But there is still one issue. The console will start when the SD Card is in, but he said if i'm gonna start the switch without the SD Card plugged in then I will get the blackscreen again. And the only way to get out of it is to let the battery of the switch run out entirely and then turn it back on with the SD Card inserted. Even if I hold the power off button for 12 seco ds the blackscreen would not disappear. He said it might be possible to get rid of this issue if I flash the chip.

The installer fixed the pulsing lights by isolating the chip from the metal back plate of the console. He said the metal back plate was causing a short circuit.

Any idea how to fix the problem? Thank you!

Du'Islingr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well ask here. Is anyone taking commissions to install modchips on an oled. I already have the modchip that makes it so you don’t have to remove the emmc. 200 usd is as high as I’m willing to go for this. I don’t believe it’s worth more than that.

Du'Islingr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m asking someone to install the modchip for me. So I send the motherboard and the modchip they install it and ship it back to me. I’ll cover shipping costs as well obviously.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys i gave it to the chip installer the other day i got my switch back now and it's working.

But there is still one issue. The console will start when the SD Card is in, but he said if i'm gonna start the switch without the SD Card plugged in then I will get the blackscreen again. And the only way to get out of it is to let the battery of the switch run out entirely and then turn it back on with the SD Card inserted. Even if I hold the power off button for 12 seco ds the blackscreen would not disappear. He said it might be possible to get rid of this issue if I flash the chip.

The installer fixed the pulsing lights by isolating the chip from the metal back plate of the console. He said the metal back plate was causing a short circuit.

Any idea how to fix the problem? Thank you!
I can't imagine that to be true.
The 12 seconds thing is a hardware feature from the switch to do a hard shut down.

But you shouldn't get a black screen to behin with.
If your switch is showing nothing on the screen without a SD card inserted, your installer is using very old software.

You should ask him to update at least the SD loader but better yet the modchip as well.

Tayfunx3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't imagine that to be true.
The 12 seconds thing is a hardware feature from the switch to do a hard shut down.

But you shouldn't get a black screen to behin with.
If your switch is showing nothing on the screen without a SD card inserted, your installer is using very old software.

You should ask him to update at least the SD loader but better yet the modchip as well.
Yes i'm honestly very pissed. Got this console fresh out of the box and now it feels like it already aged a ton. I wanted to check the blackscreen and turned on the switch without the SD card inserted. Turns out i didn't get a blackscreen just the "failed to init sd card" message which is a good sign. But who knows if it will come back again like he told me :glare:

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i'm honestly very pissed. Got this console fresh out of the box and now it feels like it already aged a ton. I wanted to check the blackscreen and turned on the switch without the SD card inserted. Turns out i didn't get a blackscreen just the "failed to init sd card" message which is a good sign. But who knows if it will come back again like he told me :glare:
If his install is good and he updated the modchip, it shouldn't come back.
Sounds all good so far.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well ask here. Is anyone taking commissions to install modchips on an oled. I already have the modchip that makes it so you don’t have to remove the emmc. 200 usd is as high as I’m willing to go for this. I don’t believe it’s worth more than that.
The going rate for an OLED install where you provide the chip is around $150 including return shipping, multiple US installers are offering that price that I've seen

ASwitchFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did u find a solution for your switch? I have the exact same issue. Chipped oled. Wont turn on(i know its charged) but I do see the same lights blinking at the bottom as in your video

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0 +1