Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. I'm new to the Switch modding scene, so there may be things I don't understand yet.
I haven't modded my switch yet, but I looked through the guides and have a few questions, mostly around updates, and not getting banned.

I'd like to try not getting banned from online, so will only play offline when it's hacked, like the suggestions for best way to go about it.
But if I want to restore the Nand to play online at some point, that's when I'm not sure how that will work. Here's my questions:

1) If I follow the homebrew guide and do the Nand backup when they mention it there, is that the one I can use to restore with later?
2) If I restore the Nand, will it revert back to the original version of 1.0? (assuming that's I was before backing it up)
3) Should I update the firmware before modding the switch? Or is it better on 1.0? (are there better versions for it?)
4) If I wanna play online games, and restore, I assume I'll have to update to play games online. Does this cause issues for then modding again later? Like if I have a latest version, will it then be harder to mod again?
5) Does it take the whole process for modding each time I restore and want to play online again?

Please and Thank you <3

Last edited by Windsall,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm new to the Switch modding scene, so there may be things I don't understand yet.
I haven't modded my switch yet, but I looked through the guides and have a few questions, mostly around updates, and not getting banned.

I'd like to try not getting banned from online, so will only play offline when it's hacked, like the suggestions for best way to go about it.
But if I want to restore the Nand to play online at some point, that's when I'm not sure how that will work Here's my questions:

1) If I follow the homebrew guide and do the Nand backup when they mention it there, is that the one I can use to restore with later?
2) If I restore the Nand, will it revert back to the original version of 1.0? (assuming that's I was before backing it up)
3) Should I update the firmware before modding the switch? Or is it better on 1.0? (are there better versions for it?)
4) If I wanna play online games, and restore, I assume I'll have to update to play games online. Does this cause issues for then modding again later? Like if I have a latest version, will it then be harder to mod again?
5) Does it take the whole process for modding each time I restore and want to play online again?

Please and Thank you <3

Firmware 1.0.0 is very limited in term of homebrew support, you could make a NAND backup and restore it if you want in the future, as for playing online you would need to be on the highest firmware if you want to go online, you would need a clean NAND to go back online, you can't use a firmware that doesn't match with what you were previously online, you would get flagged for a ban for that.

As long you preserve your fuse count you can always downgrade back with your NAND backup, you would need autoRCM for this.

Create an emunand if you want to use that for your homebrew/pirated game stuffs, and keep your sysnand clean for online play it is doable.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firmware 1.0.0 is very limited in term of homebrew support, you could make a NAND backup and restore it if you want in the future, as for playing online you would need to be on the highest firmware if you want to go online, you would need a clean NAND to go back online, you can't use a firmware that doesn't match with what you were previously online, you would get flagged for a ban for that.

As long you preserve your fuse count you can always downgrade back with your NAND backup, you would need autoRCM for this.

Create an emunand if you want to use that for your homebrew/pirated game stuffs, and keep your sysnand clean for online play it is doable.

Thanks for responding. There's some things I'm not sure about..

Is it better to update before any modding? Or use manual ways to update after?

I don't know what uses or preserves fuse counts.
Also, wondering if I need to do something with autoRCM before or during the process (in the guide for modding the switch)

When you talk about sysnand, is that just the backup nand? Or is there a way to access a clean nand even when the switch is modded? (and has emunand)?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for responding. There's some things I'm not sure about..

Is it better to update before any modding? Or use manual ways to update after?

I don't know what uses or preserves fuse counts.
Also, wondering if I need to do something with autoRCM before or during the process (in the guide for modding the switch)

When you talk about sysnand, is that just the backup nand? Or is there a way to access a clean nand even when the switch is modded? (and has emunand)?

Fuse is for downgrading purposes, if you burnt your fuse you can't go back to lower firmware. Updating via Nintendo server would burn your fuse if you don't use custom bootloader like Hekate prior to boot after updating system firmware. So it come down to if you want to preserve your fuse. You can always update and preserve your fuse.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fuse is for downgrading purposes, if you burnt your fuse you can't go back to lower firmware. Updating via Nintendo server would burn your fuse if you don't use custom bootloader like Hekate prior to boot after updating system firmware. So it come down to if you want to preserve your fuse. You can always update and preserve your fuse.

You can use a custom bootloader on a clean nand?
Is there somewhere that explains how to do this?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a custom bootloader on a clean nand?
Is there somewhere that explains how to do this?

Hekate has a stock option, back in the day when my system updated via Nintendo server if you don't stop it when it restarting it burn your fuse. People said you can stop that before it finish updating. Not sure if it still bypass autorcm now a day. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hekate has a stock option, back in the day when my system updated via Nintendo server if you don't stop it when it restarting it burn your fuse. People said you can stop that before it finish updating. Not sure if it still bypass autorcm now a day. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this.

Ok.thanks for your response. I'm honestly pretty confused for how to go about things though.
If I play online, which will update my version, I have to stop it from rebooting and then use something custom even though the moddding was removed? (and using a clean nand)

Maybe it's that I don't understand how emunand works, and actually it's still there even with the clean nand?

Basically, I just want to understand what to do to update it when I want to play online.
And then, if I mod it again (or use emunand?), will that version change how I go about doing mods?

If I have to back up the nand again before modding, I'm guessing then the nand will be for the latest version instead of 1.0?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.thanks for your response. I'm honestly pretty confused for how to go about things though.
If I play online, which will update my version, I have to stop it from rebooting and then use something custom even though the moddding was removed? (and using a clean nand)

Maybe it's that I don't understand how emunand works, and actually it's still there even with the clean nand?

Basically, I just want to understand what to do to update it when I want to play online.
And then, if I mod it again (or use emunand?), will that version change how I go about doing mods?

If I have to back up the nand again before modding, I'm guessing then the nand will be for the latest version instead of 1.0?

Sorry for all the questions.

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses#Anti-downgrade

Switch have fuse count, it is for anti downgrading purpose, if you burn your fuse you can't boot 1.0.0 if you updated to 12.1.0 and burn your fuse 15. As for the NAND to use for online you have to match the one that was previously online. If you don't care about downgrading back to lower firmware you can burn your fuse. Emunand is just an emulated NAND, so you can use that for all your homebrew/pirated game stuffs, and keep the Sysnand for online play. You can use an emunand side by side with an online sysnand, as long you keep that Sysnand clean of pirated game/homebrew etc.

You can backup your 1.0.0 NAND but once you burn that fuse count the 1.0.0 NAND is quite useless if your sysnand is on 12.1.0, and 15 fuse. If you want to preserve the 1.0.0 firmware maybe get another unit for online play, 1.0.0 is quite rare these day.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch have fuse count, it is for anti downgrading purpose, if you burn your fuse you can't boot 1.0.0 if you updated to 12.1.0 and burn your fuse 15. As for the NAND to use for online you have to match the one that was previously online. If you don't care about downgrading back to lower firmware you can burn your fuse. Emunand is just an emulated NAND, so you can use that for all your homebrew/pirated game stuffs, and keep the Sysnand for online play. You can use an emunand side by side with an online sysnand, as long you keep that Sysnand clean of pirated game/homebrew etc.

You can backup your 1.0.0 NAND but once you burn that fuse count the 1.0.0 NAND is quite useless if your sysnand is on 12.1.0, and 15 fuse. If you want to preserve the 1.0.0 firmware maybe get another unit for online play, 1.0.0 is quite rare these day.

Thank you that helps.

I'm ok updating it and burning the fuse, unless there's an important reason to be able to downgrade.

I'd like to do it the way you mentioned, using emunand while having a clean sysnand. Is there a guide for this, or will the normal homebrew guide amount to this?

I just have one more question, and it has to do with playing games through the emunand. Can I play NSP games without installing it this way? I heard that SXOS is outdated now, and don't know how it works for playing the games without installing them now. (assuming installing them could get me banned once online)

Last edited by Windsall,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you that helps.

I'm ok updating it and burning the fuse, unless there's an important reason to be able to downgrade.

I'd like to do it the way you mentioned, using emunand while having a clean sysnand. Is there a guide for this, or will the normal homebrew guide amount to this?

I just have one more question, and it has to do with playing games through the emunand. Can I play NSP games without installing it this way? I heard that SXOS is outdated now, and don't know how it works for playing the games without installing them now.

https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html

You can follow this to create an emuNAND, NSP needs to be installed, some people like to have way to go back to lower firmware.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html

You can follow this to create an emuNAND, NSP needs to be installed, some people like to have way to go back to lower firmware.

Yes that's the guide I meant.
So using that guide doesn't prevent from using a clean sysnand at the smae time as the emunand?

I thought that installing an NSP meant it could lead to banning. How does it work for when you want to play official games but have NSP installed on the system?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So using that guide doesn't prevent from using a clean sysnand at the smae time as the emunand?

I thought that installing an NSP meant it could lead to banning. How does it work for when you want to play official games but have NSP installed on the system?
If you want to play legitimately purchased games online, you should do so with a clean sysMMC on the latest system version. All hacking and NSP-installation should be used with the dirty emuMMC that is blocked from connecting to Nintendo's servers using something like Incognito, so you won't get banned.

If you don't plan on using online play, then you probably have no need for an emuMMC.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You keep the nand separate, use your sysnand for online game, emunand for your pirated game, as long you don't install pirated game on your sysnand you won't get ban.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You keep the nand separate, use your sysnand for online game, emunand for your pirated game, as long you don't install pirated game on your sysnand you won't get ban.

I looked online and saw someone mention how the emunand is hidden from the sysnand, and I'm guessing when someone is loaded in the emunand, that installing nsp only installs them in that hidden part?
If that's it then it's not as complicated as I thought. I think understanding those basics would help xD.

Al3Drk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi.
I'm on latest version Atmosphere (AMS M. 19.5 | E) and switch firmware (12.1) and have the latest patches and I can play all my games except for HADES.
I'm on emummc and always offline . can someone help me? I've downloaded many versions and had no luck. and I also tried removing my 2 sysmodules (saltynx and Mission Controll) but didn't work.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One last question from me.
When someone updates the system (sysnand) officially. Should that be done before or after updating Atmosphere? (or is that not how it works?)

hi.
I'm on latest version Atmosphere (AMS M. 19.5 | E) and switch firmware (12.1) and have the latest patches and I can play all my games except for HADES.
I'm on emummc and always offline . can someone help me? I've downloaded many versions and had no luck. and I also tried removing my 2 sysmodules (saltynx and Mission Controll) but didn't work.

Is Hades updated too? (If it's an nsp, maybe it needs to be the updated version file. I'm a noob though, so just thoughts)

Last edited by Windsall,
Reactions: Al3Drk

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi.
Things to try:
  1. Make sure you're using the latest version of Atmosphere (and fusee-primary, if that's your bootloader)
  2. Make sure you're using the latest signature patches
  3. Make sure your signature patches comport with your bootloader (fusee patches for fusee-primary, and Hekate patches for Hekate (unless you're chainloading fusee-primary)
  4. Delete the atmosphere folder from your SD card, redownload Atmosphere and your signature patches, and put them back on your SD card.
Also, what is your error?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

One last question from me.
When someone updates the system (sysnand) officially. Should that be done before or after updating Atmosphere? (or is that not how it works?)

Is Hades updated too? (If it's an nsp, maybe it needs to be the updated version file. I'm a noob though, so just thoughts)
You should generally update your CFW (Atmosphere) before updating the system version. If you update the system version first, you won't be able to boot into CFW until you update your CFW.

Reactions: Al3Drk and Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Things to try:
  1. Make sure you're using the latest version of Atmosphere (and fusee-primary, if that's your bootloader)
  3. Make sure your signature patches comport with your bootloader (fusee patches for fusee-primary, and Hekate patches for Hekate (unless you're chainloading fusee-primary)
  4. Delete the atmosphere folder from your SD card, redownload Atmosphere and your signature patches, and put them back on your SD card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You should generally update your CFW (Atmosphere) before updating the system version. If you update the system version first, you won't be able to boot into CFW until you update your CFW.

Thanks a lot.

And just to make sure. Does it take a new atmosphere And sigpatches everytime a new system update comes along?

Reactions: Al3Drk

Al3Drk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things to try:
Thanks for your response
1) I'm using AMS M. 19.5 so that's the latest version i guess
2) I'm using latest sigpatches since every other game works perfectly
3) I use fusee to boot into atmosphere so I downloaded the fusee patches from ITOtal... (Is it a good source for sigpatches?)
4) I will try that should I try the non mesospher version of atmosphere this time?
and yes my game is updated to latest version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny