Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

jklaiho

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi all. I'm one of the poor saps who bricked their Switch after the 5.0 update. (I was using a Charjenpro Switchub, a previously well-reviewed unit that, IIRC, didn't have any reports of bricking when I bought it before 5.0 came out but has them afterwards, as well as an official Nintendo charger plugged into it.)

I'm not going to even attempt to send the Switch for warranty repair; I bought it in Australia last summer and I live in Finland, I don't have the receipt, and even if they took it in, they'd just end up erasing it or replacing it, with the end result being me losing my saves etc. Instead, I've filed a home insurance claim, which has worked in similar cases in the past. So all in all, I'll end up with a new Switch while having the old one around.

The question is: is there a method of manually moving the save games from the flash storage of the old Switch to the new one, or is it inextricably tied to the specific system? The teardown by iFixit shows that the eMMC board is trivially taken off and put back, so I could even just move that to the new system after making sure the new system is running the latest firmware (as I believe my old one was when it got bricked), if it were known to work.

I can live with the risks of taking apart and putting back together a Switch, even the new replacement system. The money isn't the real issue, the hundreds of ours invested into various games are, and I'm willing to go through some trouble to try and get them back.

If this post would more properly belong in one of the other subforums, lemme know.

Last edited by jklaiho,

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be too soon to ask this.. but oh well.
once cfw is release.. would it be possible to have android on the switch and turn it in a true tablet ?

Tigro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Are we anywhere near full-blown piracy for the Switch or is the fight now being fought over homebrew alone? I remember reading about Team Xecuter alleged modchip but the topic seems to have died out. I also see some guidelines with regards to which FW is the best to be on as of now but it seems to only concern homebrew. Is the topic of piracy off the table for now?

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are we anywhere near full-blown piracy for the Switch or is the fight now being fought over homebrew alone? I remember reading about Team Xecuter alleged modchip but the topic seems to have died out. I also see some guidelines with regards to which FW is the best to be on as of now but it seems to only concern homebrew. Is the topic of piracy off the table for now?

One of the switch emulators already boots switch comercial game but no on hardware still not possibly

Reactions: Tigro

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
soo, i got a new switch as a gift for my birthday (2 months late) with super mario odyssey and Zelda
after i almost cried in front of my friends because of the surprise :cry:, and went back to home, the first thing i did is to check the FW, and it's on 3.0.2
i read this is compatible with super mario odyssey, but it's bad for homebrew and hacking
the last public hacking FW is for 3.0.0, right?
if no, what the avaiable options?

i don't plan to even connecting to internet right now, zelda and mario will take too much time for me, the only other game i wants right now is Bayonetta 2, which i am afraid is not compatible with 3.0.2.

the box of the switch is designed for middle east, Red and Blue one.

Yoshimaster96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asked this on the hactools thread, but figured it'd be better here:
Yoshimaster96 said:
How does one convert xci to istorage (3.0.1)? Which keys are needed, if any? I wanna dump the files from a game.

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3.0.0 FW Switch (I got two for Christmas, and one was on 3.0, the other was on 4.0. I kept both, and I've been playing on my [updated to] 4.1 Switch), but it says it needs a system update to read my 128 GB SD card. Obviously I don't want to update it to 5.x.x. Is there any way I can use an SD card on my Switch without updating? Or, is it possible to *only* get the update I need to read my SD card? Or, are there any other suggestions I'm not thinking of?
D'oh. It looks like this is answered. Apparently, according to the previous answer, I can use a 32 GB card. Is there any hope, or chance, that I'll be able to use my 128 GB in the near future? Perhaps a custom update, or something? CFW will, apparently, be available "this summer", so if I can use it all, that's most likely when it would happen. Too bad for me. :(

Last edited by Mouser X,

Yoshimaster96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to previous post:

I have the following keys now:
master_key_00
master_key_01
master_key_02
master_key_03
package1_key_00
package2_key_source
aes_kek_generation_source
aes_key_generation_source
titlekek_source
key_area_key_application_source
key_area_key_ocean_source
key_area_key_system_source
header_kek_source
header_key_source

However, hactool requires a titlekey and contentkey. I'm not sure which ones those are (for FW 3.0.1). Anyone know? I want the RomFS from an XCI file, if that helps.

John-Destouches

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I've got a question, sorry if it has already been answered.
I'd like to buy a 3.0.0 switch to get homebrew now but i'm wondering if it's safe.
Will it be possible to still perform official switch upgrades when homebrew will be available for newer firmwares ?
Right now the homebrew scene is in alpha/beta stage so i wouldn't like to brick my switch for it.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

PikachuPro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I got a brand new console, would it be on 1.0.0? Plus, how would I not update it?
If it was 1.0.0 you'd hit the jackpot. likely to be 4.x
to not update just don't connect to internet, won't have access to accounts or shop obviously though

ARESGAMING

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone please tell me how to check the firmware for my switch...when I go to system, under system update, it doesn't say the current firmware, it just says "System update is ready."

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering getting a switch to mod it down the line. Is there any hope on the horizon for a dolphin emulator or perhaps even Gamecube virtual console on switch? I primarily want to have a modded switch to use as a portable gamecube, if possible.

jigjoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since putting wiiflow on my original wii, I haven’t done much in terms of gaming or even being around consoles. I was thinking about getting a switch for the sake of getting the current / future Zelda titles along with other games and was curious how far along hacking/modding has gone for this console. Not so much for getting switch games but more in terms of putting emulators on it like what was done with the Wii (Wiiflow).

Also, if I do plan on getting a switch, are the current consoles still the original versions or have there been new releases? And does that really matter at the moment?

Last edited by jigjoe,

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Since putting wiiflow on my original wii, I haven’t done much in terms of gaming or even being around consoles. I was thinking about getting a switch for the sake of getting the current / future Zelda titles along with other games and was curious how far along hacking/modding has gone for this console. Not so much for getting switch games but more in terms of putting emulators on it like what was done with the Wii (Wiiflow).

Also, if I do plan on getting a switch, are the current consoles still the original versions or have there been new releases? And does that really matter at the moment?

For what you want, right now Switch isn't remotely the one. Maybe in 6 months but even then, you're probably better off with a Henkaku Vita or a Wii U if emulators are wanted, they run perfectly for the most part that I have tried.

Ps: Only one version of the Switch exists so far.

aytug25

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I have a switch 1.0.0 version and it is waiting in box =D
I don't have rush, I got other consoles too, I just wonder, what are my options right now?
I mean, should I update for 3.0.0 or should I wait ?
I believe soon we will get cfw so my second question is can someone offers me cheap and quality screen protector and case ? I prefer go buy from aliexpress and amazon
And of course a micro sd card too, I read high capacity cards have problems in switch, so can someone tells me 200-256 gb card ?

PikachuPro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i never connect my switch to the internet, will it ever be possible to use larger micro SD cards?
Update: for other noobs looking for the same answer:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosph...for-all-firmwares.499907/page-22#post-7905100

Hello, I have a switch 1.0.0 version and it is waiting in box =D
I don't have rush, I got other consoles too, I just wonder, what are my options right now?
I mean, should I update for 3.0.0 or should I wait ?
I believe soon we will get cfw so my second question is can someone offers me cheap and quality screen protector and case ? I prefer go buy from aliexpress and amazon
And of course a micro sd card too, I read high capacity cards have problems in switch, so can someone tells me 200-256 gb card ?

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys so question. I'm trying to transfer my Monster Hunter XX save from my 3DS to my switch. Now in order for the transfer to work, I have to update the switch to current firmware before it will let me make the transfer, which is obviously a no-bueno. However If I have 2 switches, one on current firmware, and 1 on like 4.0 where the system transfer became available, could I do the 3DS transfer to the Current witch, then copy user/save data from current switch to older switch? My only thought is that the older switch will require a firmware update to make the system transfer as well....anyone know if thats true?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte