Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draxzelex
So when you install NSP's in Switch internal storage and check the data in Data Management it doesn't show that it's corrupt on your console? I just did NAND backup and verification on the same SD card and it went perfectly fine.
The only visible corruption I've noticed is when there are broken icons visible on the home screen. I think there are also times when it'll display something installed with a size of 0 MB.
Is there a way to force deleting a user on my Switch either through homebrew apps or Nintendo’s websites?

When I try to delete through it through the actual settings on the console, it asks me to unlink my account first, which I need to do by connecting the switch to the net. I connected first time to WiFi yesterday, since hacking my console so I’m probably flagged for being naughty. I get annoyed when it asks me which user do you want to play as. I just want one account so it doesn’t ask me.
Maybe try using DevMenu's option of deleting the Nintendo Account?
I have just one (1) question: When is it safe to remove the jig? I'm really scared about the paperclip I'm using, since it's pressing against the pins. Just paranoid.
Remove the jig as soon you know you entered RCM

Reactions: Mirkobien

dingso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi

so I bought a used Switch with Firmware Version 4.0.1 and thinking about what to do next :-) Here are my thoughts and questions:

- first things first ... do a NAND backup with hekate (and extract my console keys)
- update to latest OFW version without burning fuses with ChoiDujourNX, just in case I want to downgrade later (for whatever reason there might be coming).
- again .. just to be safe to a NAND backup

so .. now if I want to use try-before-buy.nsp files it doesn't matter which CFW I use (with a sdcard for CFW) ... if I want to do use try-before-buy.xci files I have to purchase SX OS. Of course staying offline with any CFW.
If I want to use online services (like fortnite or other legitimate games) or using eshop can I boot into OFW (with a second sdcard for OFW), or will I burn the fuses when booting OFW? In this case updating with ChoiDujourNX is pointless if I plan to switch booting into OFW and CFW?

From what I read there might/will be traces of using CFW when in OFW (with my two sdcard theory), and the risk of being banned when getting online with OFW is the highest with using .nsp (in CFW) , followed by using .xci (in CFW), followed by using Homebrew (in CFW)? Is using .xci with .nsp updates/dlcs as risky as using .nsp?

Is it safer/clever to backup/restore NAND backup when switching between CFW (staying offline) and OFW (getting online) to clear all traces and avoid being banned? I don't fully get EMUNAND.. does this mean I don't have the backup/restore trick but can emulate the physical NAND and decide which one to use (CFW/OFW)?

Of course I understand there is no 100% risk free solution, but does my plan sounds good (I don't care about the time it take to backup/restore nand, don't do this on a daily basis)

thx in advance

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just answer per question-paragraph that you wrote.
If I want to use online services (like fortnite or other legitimate games) or using eshop can I boot into OFW (with a second sdcard for OFW), or will I burn the fuses when booting OFW? In this case updating with ChoiDujourNX is pointless if I plan to switch booting into OFW and CFW?
If you want to be 100% safe, you have to boot into OFW without AutoRCM but if you update without burning fuses, booting into OFW without AutoRCM or RCM period will burn the fuses. You can boot into OFW via a custom bootloader such as Hekate or SX OS but that involves entering RCM and using a custom bootloader to enter OFW. Adding onto that paranoia is if you have other homebrew/hacks that you are not using on your SD card when you boot into that OFW; best practice would be either remove them or use a different SD card when you go online.
From what I read there might/will be traces of using CFW when in OFW (with my two sdcard theory), and the risk of being banned when getting online with OFW is the highest with using .nsp (in CFW) , followed by using .xci (in CFW), followed by using Homebrew (in CFW)? Is using .xci with .nsp updates/dlcs as risky as using .nsp?
Piracy period increases your chances of getting banned far greater than just using CFW or homebrew. The reason .NSP might be unsafer is because Nintendo can cross-check what games you own with your account unlike .XCI games which you may or may not entirely own. Also it doesn't really make a difference what type of the game the .NSP is used with because you modified your system to install .NSPs in the first place.

Is it safer/clever to backup/restore NAND backup when switching between CFW (staying offline) and OFW (getting online) to clear all traces and avoid being banned? I don't fully get EMUNAND.. does this mean I don't have the backup/restore trick but can emulate the physical NAND and decide which one to use (CFW/OFW)?
What EmuNAND can serve as is a dual-boot option for your console. You can load all of your hacks, backups, CFW, homebrew, etc. in one NAND and load the rest of your clean, hack-free, legitimate games on your other NAND. Simplifying things, it basically acts like the clean NAND you would restore before going online without having to restore it everytime you plan to go online (because its built into wherever you install EmuNAND onto, most likely the SD card). Simplifying things every further using a clean hack-free EmuNAND is about as safe as restoring a hack-free NAND before going online.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: dingso

Flare-be

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have an issue trying to add Exfat to my current 4.1 FW with Choidujour. I'm loading the latest version of Hekate through SX OS and then starting its FW. After that it boots up and I want to open the homebrew menu through the album icon + R button but it just opens the regular album. My Micro SD is already formatted in Exfat, might this be the issue because the Exfat update is not installed yet? Thanks for helping me out.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue trying to add Exfat to my current 4.1 FW with Choidujour. I'm loading the latest version of Hekate through SX OS and then starting its FW. After that it boots up and I want to open the homebrew menu through the album icon + R button but it just opens the regular album. My Micro SD is already formatted in Exfat, might this be the issue because the Exfat update is not installed yet? Thanks for helping me out.

To enter homebrew just press on album button (holding R will open up the album on cfw).

To add exfat I would use ChoidujourNX, really easy you just need the update files for 4.1 (youtube is your friend).
You can just boot SXOS and go to homebrew tab, or just use Hekate on it's own.

Any yes if the card is already exfat it won't be read, which may be your issue..
You can use guiformat if you're struggling to format in fat32.

Last edited by 877,

DCooper

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
I'm about to mod my 4.1.0 switch, I studied a lot lurking on this forum, but still I got few questions to ask :)

1. Is RCM brickable in some way? I mean, is there the possibility to damage the NAND in a way which doesn't allow to get me in RCM?
2. If I use ChoiDujourNX to update from 4.1.0 to 5.1.0 and I enable AutoRCM, can I boot the OFW through Hekate without burning fuses and avoid a possible ban? (e.g. to play online with legit games?)
3. Is ChoiDujourNX compatible with other cfws such as the latest ReiNX?

Thanks in advance for help

Flare-be

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To enter homebrew just press on album button (holding R will open up the album on cfw).

To add exfat I would use ChoidujourNX, really easy you just need the update files for 4.1 (youtube is your friend).
You can just boot SXOS and go to homebrew tab, or just use Hekate on it's own.

Any yes if the card is already exfat it won't be read, which may be your issue..
You can use guiformat if you're struggling to format in fat32.
Thanks for the info! I managed to install 4.1 + ExFat and so I formatted my SD card back to ExFat. I now however get an error message when booting SX OS saying that my SD card cannot be accessed. Any idea what could be the issue? :-( PS: I'm on Mac OS.

EDIT: fixed now by deleting the Nintendo folder from the SD card :)

Last edited by Flare-be,

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm about to mod my 4.1.0 switch, I studied a lot lurking on this forum, but still I got few questions to ask :)

1. Is RCM brickable in some way? I mean, is there the possibility to damage the NAND in a way which doesn't allow to get me in RCM?
2. If I use ChoiDujourNX to update from 4.1.0 to 5.1.0 and I enable AutoRCM, can I boot the OFW through Hekate without burning fuses and avoid a possible ban? (e.g. to play online with legit games?)
3. Is ChoiDujourNX compatible with other cfws such as the latest ReiNX?

Thanks in advance for help

1) No, RCM is the "recovery" state so bricking does not apply. Do make a NAND backup first thing you do (use Hekate v4.0)
2) Yes you can boot OFW without burning fuses, but if you go online there's a good chance you will be banned anyway (Nintendo may detect autorcm/homebrew changes to the console)
3) Yes, ChoiDujourNX is a homebrew app so can work with any CFW

Last edited by 877,
Reactions: DCooper

DCooper

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) No, RCM is the "recovery" state so bricking does not apply. Do make a NAND backup first thing you do (use Hekate 4.0)
2) Yes you can boot OFW without burning fuses, but if you go online there's a good chance you will be banned anyway (Nintendo may detect autorcm/homebrew changes to the console)
3) Yes, ChoiDujourNX is a homebrew app so can work with any CFW
Very clear explanation, thank you! :)

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I lack consistent access to a pc and Internet due to living in a 3rd world country. What us the easiest way to consistently play game backups? will I need a pc every time I want to boot my switch? Also is sx is worth the import costs or should I just use reinx/rajnx?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I lack consistent access to a pc and Internet due to living in a 3rd world country. What us the easiest way to consistently play game backups? will I need a pc every time I want to boot my switch? Also is sx is worth the import costs or should I just use reinx/rajnx?
While the Switch can sleep most of the time, anytime the SD card is ejected or a reboot is necessary the payload will need to be injected. There are cheaper options than SX Pro but probably require more technical skills. Do you have an Android Cell phone?

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the Switch can sleep most of the time, anytime the SD card is ejected or a reboot is necessary the payload will need to be injected. There are cheaper options than SX Pro but probably require more technical skills. Do you have an Android Cell phone?

I do, is it possible to set up the initial payload/set up from android?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, is it possible to set up the initial payload/set up from android?

Yes. NXLoader is the software. I beleive you will also need a USB-C OTG cable.

Is the new Hekate supposed to have a faster way to backup the nand?
I beleive the change log said it was faster. It is very fast with a vermin new Nand at under 20 minutes but can take hours if you have a lot already installed.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've got a bunch of stupid questions on how to tackle this all.
Since this is kinda long I'll put it in a spoiler

First off, I'm sitting on a 3.0.2 switch since about april. I've really only been following the advances in switchhacking at a regular glance level. I got a modded joycon. I made backups of just about anything hekate would allow me to backup in may, including rawnand, boot0/1, as well as whatever's in the folders 'Partition', and 'pkg1/2'. I also got a biskey file with 12 keys and an additional keys file
with
master_key_00-04
aes_kek_generation_source
aes_key_generation_source
key_area_key_application_source
header_kek_source
header_key_source
I don't really think so, but has anything changed in regards to nandbackups to the point where I should make another or get more keys first?

At some point, I followed a guide to add exfat support without updating fw too ( I think that's where I got those key files for)
Not sure if there's more keys to dump or if I even need them anymore.
This is as far as I've ventured so far. No cfw, no homebrew menu, no devmenues, no whatever that injection thing was that was hot a few weeks ago. I'm especially not really getting how this whole kip stuff works and why there are so many versions of hecate that apparently don't all support the same kip stuff?

Now, I guess I want to update to the current fw without burning fuses using ChoiDujourNX, using the updates files from either a reputable warez site or from Taiko no Tatsujin Nintendo Switch Version?
Will having already messed with the switch to add exfat before cause any problems using ChoiDujour? Should I make sure to install exfat again during or after the update?

Further, the update will break the card reader while on this higher firmware (so it remains usable after a downgrade). Which is fine with me, I have another switch for my carts. The thread speaks of using a very specific ini setup with a kip patch and a specific version of hekate which is different from the one I used so far (ctcaer) and at this point I'm kinda feeling like this could be a minefield where I can do many things wrong because I'm not quite sure how to operate that ini file.
Is there a good guide or some fits all sizes ini file for the average person?
Does ctcaer, which seems like it's the most feature-rich and updated version, not support keeping the card reader from updating?

Also, since the point of making sure we can go back to a previous firmware is the prospect of coldbooting without going through rcm (or coldbooting right into rcm and beyond), which as far as I can imagine, would have to be an emunand solution because we'd still wanna be on the latest firmware when we're done coldbooting, right? So is there even a real point to going through what seems like extra trouble to prevent the gamecard reader from updating?

Beyond that, during the update, the boot0/1 partitions are corrupted to automatically enter rcm mode to prevent horizon from booting and burning fuses, making it kinda hard to know when the system is completely powered off or stuck in rcm mode. Which I guess shouldn't be much of a problem if I keep the system well charged and in sleep mode forever and throw a payload in its direction every once in a while.
Non the less, I'm sure I'll need to mess with the sd card from time to time, so is it safe to remove the sd card when the system happens to be in RCM mode?

Thanks

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. NXLoader is the software. I beleive you will also need a USB-C OTG cable.

I beleive the change log said it was faster. It is very fast with a vermin new Nand at under 20 minutes but can take hours if you have a lot already installed.
Alright I'll take a look for some guides. If you have any on hand a link would be appreciated.

Also what is your preference on reinx/rajnx/sx os

Last edited by randomgbanoob123,

pka4916

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the eXecute PRo Dongle version, with the 5.1.0 Boot file
So I put the files in the switch folder and works fine.
But where do I put the homebrew files?

I downloaded the SDfiles.zip file and put it in the root of the card, but then it seems to be freezing up, and there is no store Icon.
Do I need more file(s) to get the homebrew store icon, so I can download from there?

Thanks

ihatespamius

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I acquired a brand new Mario Red Bundle Switch. It's the Australian Version with the Odyssey Game Card in box so at least I have something to play if I keep it offline for now. It's has System Software 3.0.1 on it. It's definitely not a patched unit even if I haven't done the RCM hack yet on it. Should I buy a copy Bayonetta 2 to update to 4.0.1 offline so I can do the warm boot hack if/when it is released instead of buying the SX or R4i chips?

Attachments

• IMG_3.0.1.jpg
    IMG_3.0.1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?