Homebrew switch lite modchips

dal7643

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anybody with experience with hard modding a switch lite, how hard is it, is it doable for someone who has little experience, and is the DOA rate high, and whats the best modchip to get

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anybody with experience with hard modding a switch lite, how hard is it, is it doable for someone who has little experience, and is the DOA rate high, and whats the best modchip to get

It might be rough if this is your first soldering job. You might want to order your chip and a smd project to brush up on your skills. Watch some of the installation videos and if you feel nervous you can always punt at the last minute and take your chip/Switch to a local electronics shop and have them do it. Worst thing you could do is Leeroy Jenkins this and start blobbing solder everywhere and burning components thus turning your mod project into an expensive repair project too. No recommends on DOA rates or which chip to buy.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it's definitely challenging, and if you've never done any soldering before forget about doing it yourself. For me I've soldered many custom PCBs as well as xbox 360 / ps2 mod chips before, did my first OLED install several days ago and I'd say it's on another level. You only need to solder 4 wires and several pads on QSB, but everything's so tiny and you need steady hands to solder to those points. If you mess up point A or D your switch's done for. It might be a bit easier for switch lite since all soldering points are exposed (you don't need to scratch the solder mask and use emmc adapter), i'd say it's still challenging. If you can pull it off it would be a great learning opportunity.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it's definitely challenging, and if you've never done any soldering before forget about doing it yourself. For me I've soldered many custom PCBs as well as xbox 360 / ps2 mod chips before, did my first OLED install several days ago and I'd say it's on another level. You only need to solder 4 wires and several pads on QSB, but everything's so tiny and you need steady hands to solder to those points. If you mess up point A or D your switch's done for. It might be a bit easier for switch lite since all soldering points are exposed (you don't need to scratch the solder mask and use emmc adapter), i'd say it's still challenging. If you can pull it off it would be a great learning opportunity.
IMO the version number directly corresponds to the difficulty (from easiest to hardest)

3. Trinket V1
2. Mariko V2
1. Aula V3

(V4 is gonna suuuuuck.)

Reactions: Allen-R and randy_w

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a link or something?

Yes, there are literally hundreds but which one is best for you will depend upon:

1) The chip you chose (sx, clone, ?)
2) The tools you have/are willing to buy (soldering iron, microscope, rework station, etc, etc.)
3) your skill level

I could go on, but in short it’s going to be tough for strangers on the Internet to guess your situation, and do research for you to find the best match. You will need a ton of creativity and initiative to undertake this project. This…is your first test. Good Luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.