Hacking Question Switch lite, dead capacitor of MicroSD

Gled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
0201 cap rated at 4.7uf. What could be the voltage ? 6.3 v? Also are the caps above the sd card slot necessary for the device to boot?

About the voltage, I wouldn't know but maybe you could get these values from a microSD datasheet since these capacitors are in the vdd port for the microSD.

About the other question, some say that it should work and removing the components would only make the circuit more susceptible to failure due to the "noise" in the voltage, but, honestly, I don't know, @hiju123.

You could do a test and see if it turns on, since the caps which are missing in your board are those in the vdd. Mine are in the clock output as well, so a simple short will not work for me I guess.

Last edited by Gled,

hiju123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Nope...Its a no go. The switch doesn't turn on, the battery was fully charged the god forsaken moment, i decided to go back in. Plugging in the charger also doesn't bring up the charging icon on screen. So I have a really expensive paper weight in my hand. I noticed that the caps on the motherboard under the CPU is heating up when i plug the battery in even when not attempting to power it on. The metal frame where the cpu heatsink cover is attached to also heats up a lot when the charger is plugged in. I suspected a short and did a close inspection, but there are no other damages other than the caps near the sd card slot. The caps on the cpu also checks out fine and there are no shorts. Ive run out of ideas now.

About the voltage, I wouldn't know but maybe you could get these values from a microSD datasheet since these capacitors are in the vdd port for the microSD.

About the other question, some say that it should work and removing the components would only make the circuit more susceptible to failure due to the "noise" in the voltage, but, honestly, I don't know, @hiju123.

You could do a test and see if it turns on, since the caps which are missing in your board are those in the vdd. Mine are in the clock output as well, so a simple short will not work for me I guess.

hiju123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ok, today I made progress in the diagnosis. I don't know if its substantial, but I just found out that the battery is not showing any life when checked with a multimeter. I tried plugging in the charger, and I do see charge going to the battery connector., but the battery is dead. Isn't the battery supposed to show 3.7v or am I doing something wrong here ?:unsure:

OK...scratch that XXXXXXX .....it was a false alarm. The battery is alive ...:glare:

Last edited by hiju123,

Gled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi @hiju123

So, if it is heating up, it could be a defective component. Not necessarily the component itself, but a component around it (e.g. like a CI). Don't know if I can help you with more than just that, though.

Apparently we are both with expensive paper weights for now :(

Last edited by Gled,

nerirififi

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i replace yesterday this capacitor.
The first post of the topic.

I take a donor to a switch FAT.

That fix the ploblem i see on this switch lite, ( Short capacitor )
The flex on the board SP1 SP2 seem moved, and i think that caused a short.

Someone have the right value, i am interested.
My english is not perfect, i think it s
0402 4.7UF 10V

Am i correct ?

Gled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi @nerirififi! Welcome to this godforsaken post! ^^

So, yeah, the bigger one circled in red in the image below is a 0402 capacitor with 4.7µF. Don't know about the voltage though but, been a capacitor attached to the VDD in a microSD card, it seems more likely to be 10V.

components.png

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Gled,

Gled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi @caki883!

So, considering the image mentioned before, if you mean the bigger cap in the red circle, then yes, this is probably the correct capacitor. I would try to use a X7R just to be safe, but the size and value are correct.

Last edited by Gled,

swlited

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @nerirififi! Welcome to this godforsaken post! ^^

So, yeah, the bigger one circled in red in the image below is a 0402 capacitor with 4.7µF. Don't know about the voltage though but, been a capacitor attached to the VDD in a microSD card, it seems more likely to be 10V.

View attachment 241193

Hope it helps!
Hi. Anyone knows values of elements circled in blue? Its absent and switch lite wont see microsd.
Looks like its for CLK pin.

dygeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
J'ai fait la même erreur. Quelqu'un a-t-il réussi à le changer ? Je pense aussi à un 0402 4.7uf x7r 10v. si quelqu'un et intéressé je pourrais mesurer les autres prochainement.

Last edited by dygeo,

dygeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Salut. Quelqu'un connait les valeurs des éléments entourés en bleu ? Son absent et le commutateur lite ne verront pas la microsd.
On dirait que c'est pour la broche CLK.
Post automatically merged:

for me it's about resistance
Post automatically merged:

Le petit composant en dessous du gros fait aussi 4.7 uf

asmyou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
for the capacitor/resistor I found this value :

( SD reader | d3 ) [201] unknown : ?~1.5kohm? ?~1.84mv?
( SD reader | blue ) [201] ?resistor? : ~0ohm ~0mv
( SD reader | d1 ) [402] capacitor : ~277 ohm ~681mv
( SD reader | d2 ) [201] capacitor : ~277 ohm ~681mv

( Tegra | SP1 ) [201] resistor : ~13.1ohm ~69.6mv
( Tegra | SP2 ) [201] resistor : ~22.6ohm ~0mv

d3 and blue I am not on the validity of the values/types it was complicated to measure I put the most persistent.

d1 and d2 are probably in derivation I find ~3uf but I am not sure either.

I hope to help you find it!

note: the values are not calibrated !

Last edited by asmyou,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*