Hardware Switch housing shell

Burntzebra23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve bought a clear red housing shell for you switch I’m wondering how difficult it is to change out ? On the switch itself and then the joycons

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent so much time and put so much effort installing clear case... and i must tell it's not worth it!
Those are very fragile and terrible quality stuff, you have to be very careful to no over tighten the screws, even than no granite they will not shatter....

All my clear case Joy-Cons after a month have cracks and i was crazy careful using them...

I spent like 100$+ on those clear cases... and they all sucks... was biggest disappointment for me with Nintendo Switch.

Last edited by Agilato,
Reactions: Burntzebra23

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed two sets so far, joycons and backplate both, and have had no issues as far as quality, nor have I heard anyone else discuss fragility issues with these. Not saying it didn't happen of course, just saying that I've seen a lot of discussion about them and haven't heard anyone else bring it up. The backplate is very easy to swap out, probably only about 5 or 10 minutes to do. They joycons are quite a bit trickier, I'd say it probably took me an hour, and I have some experience in this sort of thing already. Definitely worth it in my opinion though, especially if you got the joycon shells with the dpad.

Burntzebra23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent so much time and put so much effort installing clear case... and i must tell it's not worth it!
Those are very fragile and terrible quality stuff, you have to be very careful to no over tighten the screws, even than no granite they will not shatter....

All my clear case Joy-Cons after a month have cracks and i was crazy careful using them...

I spent like 100$+ on those clear cases... and they all sucks... was biggest disappointment for me with Nintendo Switch.
Damn!! I really really like Nostalgia of them :’( too! .... I mean I already bought one, do you think it’d be worth it to atleast put some of it on? Like how difficult is it to atleast put the shell n the switch itself? Is it just unscrew a couple things and take old off then put new on and screw it on?

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed two sets so far, joycons and backplate both, and have had no issues as far as quality, nor have I heard anyone else discuss fragility issues with these. Not saying it didn't happen of course, just saying that I've seen a lot of discussion about them and haven't heard anyone else bring it up. The backplate is very easy to swap out, probably only about 5 or 10 minutes to do. They joycons are quite a bit trickier, I'd say it probably took me an hour, and I have some experience in this sort of thing already. Definitely worth it in my opinion though, especially if you got the joycon shells with the dpad.

Can you please share links for exact product you used? I did it successfully like 100+ times with regular shells and cases, but with clear one i always had an issues with the way they were molded initially...

Backplate is very easy, i still making custom metal plate to expose actual internals without loosing heat-spreader on BQ chip...
Actual frame kind of difficult you need to have a heat gun at least, and it takes some time to align touchscreen and LCD correctly without a dust...

Last edited by Agilato,

Burntzebra23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the switch itself is easy then?, what’s it just a couple of screws ?.....And the joy cons I seen a video of a tear down and it seems like something I can do just Obviously take my time and not rush any of it I don’t think I got the dpad one.. if it is the dpad one does the dpad just go where the buttons go?

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please share links for exact product you used? I did it successfully like 100+ times with regular shells and cases, but with clear one i always had an issues with the way they were molded initially...

Backplate is very easy, i still making custom metal plate to expose actual internals without loosing heat-spreader on BQ chip...
Actual frame kind of difficult you need to have a heat gun at least, and it takes some time to align touchscreen and LCD correctly without a dust...
Sure, it was just the basstop ones listed on amazon, atomic purple and regular clear. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076SQ2JBK/ Never done anything with the frame of the switch though, just the backside.

So the switch itself is easy then?, what’s it just a couple of screws ?.....And the joy cons I seen a video of a tear down and it seems like something I can do just Obviously take my time and not rush any of it I don’t think I got the dpad one.. if it is the dpad one does the dpad just go where the buttons go?
Very easy for the switch itself, and yeah, the dpad just goes over the buttons

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically here is my mods and shells i used still thinking about size and shape of the metal plate that coves MOBO, wanna expose it more...
You can see cracks on Joy-Cons in places where u usually don't even have a pressure.... one more thing they are glossy, when you hands even a bit sweet it's make them very slippery (May be it's my own issue)
I used those very carefully for less than a week and they already cracked...

If you will decide to do full frame mode buy extra touchscreen (8$) odds are high with first time to mess it up

Again if you even have slight doubts, do not do it... will spend more money than you think especially if you don't have exp and result will not cover frustration.
I have like 5 cracked transparent kit's.... some of them don't even fit well... idk why they used so fragile materials when there is so many way better stuff around...

PS: That is my own experience i might have terrible hands and dead brain... but it's what it's...

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg