Switch hacks without the ban?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by demonata08, Aug 14, 2018.

1. demonata08
    OP

demonata08 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2016
    United States
    Might be a silly question but i'm planning on using the guide here

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-reinx-installation-and-use.512342/

for my 5.1 switch. I don't want to be banned because of the new pokemon game coming out which will probably require internet to use effectively. So i was thinking i could enjoy it for a few months completely offline. like removing my internet from the switch all together. Then wipe the hacks off when i want it to be legit. I heard this was possible but i wasnt sure.

Is there any kinda guide for backing up your official firmware so you can go back to it or anything like that?

2. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    using any hacks right now is just asking for a ban.

3. demonata08
    OP

demonata08 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2016
    United States
    I get there's no way to be completely safe but i would feel a lot better about it going into it completely offline then only going online when the hacks are completely removed. Im just not sure how to remove them after the fact.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you haven't hacked your console yet, I would highly recommend the first thing you do is backup the NAND by following this tutorial. Then do all of your hacks offline. Right before you connect the console online, restore the clean NAND backup you made and you should be good to go.

5. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    they say doing a nand backup before any cfw and restoring before using official firmware, but Nintendo can detect if you've entered rcm mode possibly

6. demonata08
    OP

demonata08 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2016
    United States
    Exactly what i was looking for. thanks!!

7. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Operative word in, right there. All in all, we don't know if you'll be good or not. We're guessing you'll be good. We don't know where Nintendo keeps track of when you enter RCM. Assume it's in the NAND, so assuming NAND restore prior will be fine. But again, we don't know.

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Doesn't really make sense since RCM is triggered before the OS in the NAND aka Horizon runs. The only thing that can track RCM would be the bootloader and its not designed to care about RCM. It also cannot be modified by Nintendo to start checking for RCM because its read-only. Lastly, no one has been banned for just backing up their NAND which this method simulates. In fact, its featured as one of the only methods of possibly preventing a ban in the pinned Switch banning thread.

OrGoN3 likes this.
  9. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Sure. I understand. But like you said, "only methods of possibly preventing a ban...". Even you're unsure. So it's best to let the end-user know this.

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    One thing I forgot to point out is that it would be wrong for Nintendo users to ban people for entering RCM. RCM is a built in feature of the console after all thanks to the SoC it uses. Nintendo's repair services probably use it and its within the realm of possibility for it to be triggered accidentally. So I would say that Nintendo banning people for using RCM seems unwarranted.

Other than that, all hacks have to be attached with a possible sign of being banned because no hack is ban-proof. But that is more of a liability warning we attach so users don't come back and report someone lied to them. I did not initially say it would prevent a ban as I used the word 'should'. You should also apply a bit of realism to responses as historically people are not banned for homebrew or CFWs, but the things they enable such as piracy and cheating.

11. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
  12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    stay offline and you'll be fine. otherwise....

13. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Hacking probably won’t get you banned, unless you do stupid shit like cheating in online games and/or pirating :P

14. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I would say you should wait for emuNAND before trying. Then it's probably much safer. But there is no 100% guarantee. Nintendo are not playing around this time around.