Switch flash cart microSD issue?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Mar 3, 2017.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Switch game carts are pretty small. From the first look it looks like a microSD can fit in there, but I have no idea if there is enough space left for the internals of a flash cart. Granted, one could make the cart a bit taller, but Switch carts are a bit flatter than 3DS carts, so you may have to squeeze the fpga to fit.

IMG_0667.JPG

2. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    You must not remember the first gba cart. It was big and stuck out alot.
    If there is a will there is a way. But i doubt we will see flash cart for the switch

3. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    It was also thick as hell.

4. ethanwa79

ethanwa79 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2017
    United States
    I am sure we will. It just won't be the traditional microSD kind.

We'll probably have a cart that is identical to the Switch cart, and you'll take that cart and plug it into a custom USB adapter to load it with ROMs, rather than loading a microSD card with ROMs and popping it in the flash cart. The small size of the cart will force this method of loading most likely.... but it will be done if there is money to be made in China or elsewhere.

5. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Yep, there were plenty of GBC and GBA (and maybe early DS?) flash carts that had built-in memory and no card slot.

Of course, the hope would be that there would be a softmod so no flash cart would be needed.

6. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Nah, saying that if it gets hack it would be on the OS level so we wont need flashcarts.
    It all depends on how good there security has been up.

But its still possible to see a big flash cart for the switch in some years

7. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    I can't wait to get home to open up my boxes lol damn work is dragging slow today