Hardware Switch doesn't want to read SD card (no SD card problem, no format problem)

MADEiN83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi every one!

(I searched the forum, I couldn't find a similar case)

I've a problem with my second Switch (OFW): she doesn't want to read my micro SD card (SanDisk 128GB).
/!\ The problem is not the SD card (format, size, ...), because I can read content on Windows, Mac and my other Switch.

I tryied to :
  • Upgrade my Switch to the last OFW (v9.1.0) -> doesn't work
  • Format my SD card in : FAT, exFAT, ... -> doesn't work
  • Put some other SD card (2GB, 16GB & 128GB) -> doesn't work
  • Put other Sandisk 128GB SD Card currently used on my other Switch (CFW w/ SX OS) -> doesn't work
  • Change the SD Card reader twice (first w/ an AliExpress one and the second one I bought it on more serious shop) -> doesn't work
Sometimes, the Switch displays an error message "2016-0641" when I remove my SD Card but this error isn't displayed every time (rarely).

The last thing I can do is to let my Switch to a repair shop without knowing what they're going to do to it...

Does anyone have a solution?
Has this problem ever happened to you before?

Thanks! :switch:

Last edited by MADEiN83,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
KO? Sorry but I don't understand. KO is "Knock Out" in most instances. That's a bad thing.
For me it sounds like either the sd card reader is faulty (doesn't seem like it since you changed it twice) or the connector on the motherboard of the Switch is going bye bye (this is VERY BAD).

I would strongly recommend someone like @mattytrog have a look at it. While he have it and you got spare cash. Ask him to install a modchip for you. So you don't have to press a lot of buttons when you boot ;)

Reactions: mattytrog

MADEiN83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry.. KO is the opposite of "OK".. ^^
Thanks for your answer.. so bad :(

I'll wait until I get more answers, otherwise I'll sell it and the problem will be solved (for me :D).

MADEiN83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What format is the card and what driver the switch has installed, FAT32 or exFAT driver?

I think only the FAT32 driver was installed on this switch.
The OFW doesn't ask me to download the exFAT one because the SD card isn't recognized on this Switch..

The Switch can't read any FAT32 SD Card.

Can I install this driver manually?

The Lego connector of the card reader is incredibly fragile and easy to break when you blindly stumble to put it back in

Sorry but I don't know what is the Lego connector..
Can you explain me what is it, plz ? :unsure:

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OFW doesn't ask me to download the exFAT one because the SD card isn't recognized on this Switch..

You have to copy the file on the SD card off to a computer and reformat the card to FAT32 if it is exFAT.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

it's the connector for the sd card reader,
https://www.reddit.com/r/soldering/comments/boojz9/nintendo_switch_sd_card_connector_pins/

I thought this type was commonly refered to as lego connector. or maybe its brick connector.
anyways, the thing is supposedly fragile and since you don't really see if the parts line up correctly as you put it back in (since it's covered by that huge foam pad over it), it's easy do damage it.
the guy from the reddit post managed to break off some of the pins.

if you take it appart again, take a close look at the connector, maybe there's something broken or twisted or bent?

Reactions: MADEiN83

MADEiN83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's the connector for the sd card reader,
https://www.reddit.com/r/soldering/comments/boojz9/nintendo_switch_sd_card_connector_pins/

I thought this type was commonly refered to as lego connector. or maybe its brick connector.
anyways, the thing is supposedly fragile and since you don't really see if the parts line up correctly as you put it back in (since it's covered by that huge foam pad over it), it's easy do damage it.
the guy from the reddit post managed to break off some of the pins.

if you take it appart again, take a close look at the connector, maybe there's something broken or twisted or bent?

You are right..
I checked the connector and some pins (4-5 I think) are broken... :(

Thank for your help!

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
KO? Sorry but I don't understand. KO is "Knock Out" in most instances. That's a bad thing.
For me it sounds like either the sd card reader is faulty (doesn't seem like it since you changed it twice) or the connector on the motherboard of the Switch is going bye bye (this is VERY BAD).

I would strongly recommend someone like @mattytrog have a look at it. While he have it and you got spare cash. Ask him to install a modchip for you. So you don't have to press a lot of buttons when you boot ;)
Sounds like a connector problem to me too. Need some pics! I have replacement SD connectors for the board.

@linuxares sorry I haven`t been well. Missed a load of stuff on Temp. Was ill last week, thought I was getting over it. But came back with a vengeance. I feel as though I have been to Wuhan in China.

Reactions: linuxares

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have just a broken pin, find replacement connector take out pin and replace only the pin, you don't have to replace hole thing if plastic base is good. It's very easy with small knowledge of soldering and cheap magnification tools.

Reactions: FXDX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰