Switch controller adapter that can connect multiple controllers ?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by supercarotte, Dec 14, 2017.

1. supercarotte
    OP

supercarotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2015
    France
    Hi,

As I recently bought MK8D for my switch, I need some extra controllers (4 of them) to play with my siblings. Joycons/pro controller are way too expensive, so I looked into adapters since we already own a lot of consoles and controllers.

Every model I found can only connect 1 controller at a time but you can plug several of them onto a USB hub to connect multiple controllers. Still, it'd cost me around 80€ worth of adapters so I was wondering if there was one that could connect to several controllers at a time ? With current bluetooth standards and since the switch can detect multiple controllers on a single USB port it should be theoretically possible but I've found nothing so far.

Any idea ?

2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I just bought a few nes30 pro controllers. You lose things like rumble and motion control, but you get native switch support.

3. Yoni Arousement

Yoni Arousement GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2009
    United States
    I believe the Switch recognizes only the adapters themselves as separate controllers. For example, Mayflash's 4-port GC controller adapter controls one player, regardless of which controller port the Gamecube controller is connected to.

4. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    you can use a smash gamecube adapter with 4 gamecube controllers, an offbrand adapter is only like $10 and offbrand gamecube controllers are only like $8 each if you somehow don't already have a few.

supercarotte likes this.
  5. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I may be wrong because I only did a short test a while back but I'm pretty sure the official GC adapter will properly use all of them as separate controllers. Don't want to dig up my GC stuff to verify that though, so someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

6. supercarotte
    OP

supercarotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2015
    France
    But you can plug several adapters into a hub onto your switch and they'll be recognized as 4 different controllers, so I was wondering if there was an adapter that'd kind of have an internal hub so that I don't have to buy 4 of them and have a trillion of cables. A USB hub that also has the drivers to make controllers work on the switch would be perfect, but as Bluetooth controllers are way more popular right now I guess Boone is selling a USB controllers adapter.

Thanks, I have 4 GC controllers already so I'll try that. Do you know if rebrands work too or do I have to buy the official one (which is like 80+€ now that Nintendo doesn't make it anymore) ? GC controllers don't have a ZL button and I heard rumble doesn't work too but it shouldn't be a problem for games like MK ?

Last edited by supercarotte, Dec 18, 2017
  7. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    I'm pretty sure any controller that can be plugged into the GC controller adapter will work fine, including unofficial adapters like the Mayflash one which I love.

8. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    yeah as long as it looks like the original, i got one for my brother for like $6 on sale at aliexpress a while back the ports are a little tight but other than that no problems.
    rumble doesnt work and it doesnt have as many buttons as a switch controller but they work great on any game you can get by with that many buttons and no rumble its perfect for mario kart.

9. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    If you love yourself dont buy NES30 PRO controllers. The amount of trouble I had with my pair is just stupid and not worth your time.

10. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I own 3 and have had no issues

Memoir likes this.
  11. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Can confirm. No issues.

12. fatsquirrel

Nov 11, 2013
    I have 2, tried connecting to iPhone (1 month later I just gave up, breaking connection, not working in emulators, buttons not registering, right analog not working), tried connecting to PS3 (gave up after a week when the controllers would not connect wirelessly, right analog wont work and every digital button registers as 2 presses instead of 1).

13. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    All 3 work perfectly on ps3 (wirelessly), android, and switch for me.

14. fatsquirrel

Nov 11, 2013
    How on earth...I followed instructions perfectly. Could it be that both of mine are faulty?
    I sent you a PM :/

15. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I've heard there is a small delay with these controllers when played on the Switch compared to the likes of the official pro controller. Have you noticed this?

16. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Not at all. No distinguishable difference between them and joycon and pro controller

17. lonewolf08

lonewolf08 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    I don't have one just yet but i will buy one someday, but my friend has one and he let me see it and feel it and i watched him play on it and i didnt notice any lag when it came to button pressing but i did notice it with the motion control. It wasn't too bad which led me to my decision that i will buy one.

18. Wonder_Woman_

Wonder_Woman_ Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2017
    United States
  19. i can vouch for 8bitdo controllers, mine all work fine with switch too.