Hardware Switch bricked?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, a brick implies the console is dead weight, as in nothing works at all. (as useful as a brick)

If it happens only when you attach ther joycons then it sounds like you might be shorting the console or something.

Have you done any modifications to either of the joycons? Or perhaps something is wrong with the rails on either the joycon or the unit itself.
If you have a second pair of joycons (or can borrow a friends) can you try attaching those to the unit and see if the crashing still occures.

Eitrher way, it's not bricked, as you can still boot it up and play games, and I assume it works fine in docked mode right?

Also, does it only crash if you connect the joycons while playing a game, or does it crash even if you connect joycons on the main screen, what happens if you power on the switch with the joycons attached? (from powered off, not sleep mode)

Last edited by Rasa39,

Paul11055

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, a brick implies the console is dead weight, as in nothing works at all. (as useful as a brick)

If it happens only when you attach ther joycons then it sounds like you might be shorting the console or something.

Have you done any modifications to either of the joycons? Or perhaps something is wrong with the rails on either the joycon or the unit itself.
If you have a second pair of joycons (or can borrow a friends) can you try attaching those to the unit and see if the crashing still occures.

Eitrher way, it's not bricked, as you can still boot it up and play games, and I assume it works fine in docked mode right?

Also, does it only crash if you connect the joycons while playing a game, or does it crash even if you connect joycons on the main screen, what happens if you power on the switch with the joycons attached? (from powered off, not sleep mode)
Well, I found out that if I charge up my switch, it lasts for the time I charged it up. So it has nothing to do with the JoyCons. Now my question is: should I just replace the battery? (I can play my games just fine)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, I found out that if I charge up my switch, it lasts for the time I charged it up. So it has nothing to do with the JoyCons. Now my question is: should I just replace the battery? (I can play my games just fine)
So if the Switch is charged the JoyCons will work without crashing the Switch?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So you are saying that if you charge the battery for 10 minutes, the switch will last 10 minutes on battery power, but then if you connect the joycons it will crash the console? (again, does this crash only in game, or while on the main switch menu too?)

It could be that replacing the battery would work, but then connecting the joycons would cause the crashing again, the assumption here in that the joycons are causing damage to the battery. Hence why I asked if you had done anything to your joycons, or if you could try with a different pair of joycons.

So given how the joycons will receive a charge the moment they are connected to the switch, if there is a problem with the joycons, you'll just continue to damage every battery you replace.

Paul11055

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So you are saying that if you charge the battery for 10 minutes, the switch will last 10 minutes on battery power, but then if you connect the joycons it will crash the console? (again, does this crash only in game, or while on the main switch menu too?)

It could be that replacing the battery would work, but then connecting the joycons would cause the crashing again, the assumption here in that the joycons are causing damage to the battery. Hence why I asked if you had done anything to your joycons, or if you could try with a different pair of joycons.

So given how the joycons will receive a charge the moment they are connected to the switch, if there is a problem with the joycons, you'll just continue to damage every battery you replace.
The console crashes in game but the menu is unharmed. I didn't do anything to my JoyCons too. The different pair of joycons didn't fix it.

Paul11055

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok. Fine. Everything from the beginning. I used some tinfoil to get into RCM mode. I taped the foil to the right JoyCon and slid it through the rail. When I was about to injecg the payload, I accidentally pressed on Linux ShofEL or whatever it's called. I turned off the switch and turned it on again. Everything was fine and working. Then I loaded up the homebrew menu and I wanted to edit my BOTW save file (increase rupees for fun). When I loaded up my BOTW file the screen flashed red for a split second and then it crashed (the whole switch crashed). Since then I have that problem with the crashes. I tried a factory reset but nothing and now I'm on this thread asking questions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Btw i'm on 5.1.0

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember someone saying one of the pins (#4 I think) was a high voltage (relatively) and could cause damage if it was shorted. Could it be you accidentally shorted something out with the foil? If so I'm sure Nintendo build something into the rail module to contain damage from shortages, maybe replacing the rail will fix your problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since