swf (Flash) player - has one been made ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CannonFoddr, Feb 25, 2010.

Feb 25, 2010
  1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I've been looking at quite a few flash animations & games on the web lately & it got me wondering if a flash (or swf) player been made for the DS

So I've done a google about this & found out that one WAS developed (called 'dsflash') but it seems it hasn't got pass the 'demo' stage (& the post I found was dated back in 2008)

So I'm wondering - IS there a SWF player for the DS (preferably one that can 'autoload/run' when used through Moonshell 'ExtLink') ????

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    If I remember correctly, after dsflash there has been absolutely zero work done for flash (thus half of the problems with a wifi youtube video stream). I believe there also was the source code with the demo, but I never understood coding so all I can do about that is stare at it.

3. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yep same with me & I did go through a phase many years ago on 'programming' (self-taught) - but forgotten about 99% of it all by now

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What would you all do with a flash player anyway?
    Most of the uses for it won't work on a DS anyways.
    Flash is unnaturally hoggish when it comes to resources.

5. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    iPlayer has flv support. Flash video.

6. Rydian

United States
    That's not flash, it's a video format.

I'm asking what could possibly be done with flash on the DS other than viewing online videos.

7. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    As I mentioned I've been looking at flash video and games on the web - and there's been times I've stumbled across a game & played it, then would like to continue playing it elsewhere (some places I go don't have internet access at all), so thought 'wouldn't it be nice to download it to PC & transfer over to DS & play it on there'

Since some flash games use vector graphics - it's 'resizable', & games only usually require a couple of push buttons & perhaps mouse movement - ideal on the DS with it's touch screen

As for the movies - for short flash videos I find it a bit of a pain downloading & converting them (i.e. waiting) to DPG or AVI or whatever format, when a swf player you'll just download & copy over - once again because some are 'resizable'

8. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    I initially thought "hey yeah, a flash game player would work well on the DS! " too, then I turned to the other side of the argument--unless you're using some sort of power boost like the iplayer, it'd probably be pretty hard to make it truly work well on the DS. Rydian is right, Flash is a resource drainer.

(ninja edit: 100th post! )

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    jurassicplayer is right, DSFlash is the farthest anyone has ever gotten.

10. Rydian

United States
    The DS is just too weak to play flash games. You know, they made flash work on the iphone... but even the first model (the slower one) has a main processor about six times as powerful as the DS's, and the 3GS model's processor nears ten times the speed.

Anything flash could be used for would be better done with homebrew. Sothink makes an SWF Decompiler and other tools you can use to reverse-engineer flash games if there's one you want made, so you can find the underlying logic and lay it out for somebody to program a DS version of that game with less work if you can't do it yourself.

EDIT: Changed some wording around.

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Wait what? I'm genuinely interested if you have a source for this.

Unless you're talking about that recent project that converts Flash to Javascript in real-time, which only works for files made with Flash version 1.

12. nekoakuma

Newcomer nekoakuma Advanced Member

Australia
    Softbank phones can play flash games.

Many Asian phones also support swf. (Mainly for backrounds though)

13. Rydian

United States
    Adobe says apple's not allowing flash for personal gain.
    Adobe pushes an alternative to convert stuff written in actionscript into native apps.
    The web page for the above technology.

14. Marlonguppy

Member Marlonguppy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have an iPlayer, and i must say, thats a good idea to make!
    As it can run GBA, and videos, i can program something, with the source of the old DSFlash.
    Thanks for the good idea!
    EDIT:
    I don't think about youtube, and other wi-fi flash streaming, that's not possible for me to program (and also not my goal).

15. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well that's me all over - always coming up with ideas (good & bad) & yet never have the skills to follow through

16. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Adobe haven't released the specs of the newer versions of flash so nobody can make their own easily.
    We're all waiting for them to release a plugin for the DSi and iPhone, but it might not happen after all.

To give you a better analogy for why this is so hard:
    You are in a room with Adobe. You are blindfolded and need to pick many different small pieces up off the table in front of you and then assemble an object. But you don't know exactly what each part is shaped like, what the hell the parts are or how to assemble it. Meanwhile, Adobe are standing there (having created the object before) and are refusing to help assemble it, or even to let you take off the blindfold.

You'll notice that in my explanation Adobe is a jerk. This was not accidental.

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Uuuuh, just look at Gnash's sources? Okay, it's only up to Flash 7, but it still includes most Flash 8-9-10 basic functionalities.

Sure, it's not like you're looking at Adobe's source code, but it's better than nothing.

18. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

In fact, porting Gnash is the only way to do it with reasonable speed. The reason is that Gnash takes advantage of 3D acceleration while many other versions of Flash (including Adobe's) don't. Unfortunately, that makes Gnash horribly slow on systems (including very fast ones such as the PS3) that don't have hardware 3D support.

19. bluwarguy

Newcomer bluwarguy Newbie

United States
    all i want to do is play happy wheels and other flash based games. thats what he would do

20. Rydian

United States
    There's no way a game like happy wheels will run in a playable manner on the DS.