1. biolizardshadow

OP biolizardshadow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Swar file causes game to freeze for some reason, I use Nitro Studio to import the swar and then I use dsbuffv1Final to reassemble the rom. I wasn't having any issues with the swar file before I added 4 more sounds to it and then game started to freeze. The swar file I made initially had 9 custom sounds and then I added a few more samples for a new song and then the game started freezing. Any help would be appreciated.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    What game and any chance of a look at the patch?

From that I am going with either memory issues if you tried to cram too much in (though such things are usually pretty good about that) or something screwed up the formatting somewhere.
    I don't tend to play with nitro studio so don't know what its quality is like these days.

Formatting wise then that is either the header/pointer section (from a stock ROM delete all the swav files and add them back to bring it back to stock) or conversion somewhere along the line (start from stock but replace a bunch of them with your preferred alterations, not add them).

3. biolizardshadow

United States
    Last edited by biolizardshadow, Jul 21, 2020
  4. biolizardshadow

United States
    Could sample size be the problem here? Initially for samples 10 through 13 they were 16bit PCM samples; I did lower them to ADPCM and now the music play's (somewhat at a lower speed for some reason) and textures won't load so it's just a black screen.

Also; sample rate for all of the samples I used are 32khz but I don't think that's the problem here.

Last edited by biolizardshadow, Jul 22, 2020
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    What happens when you disassemble the ROM and reassemble it without any changes?

ndstool (which underpins dsbuff) is usually pretty good but some ROMs, flash carts and emulator combos can break things.

Also mismatched sample rates would result in speed changes, and most DS stuff I have seen is rather lower than 32KHz.

6. biolizardshadow

United States
    When I did that the rom shrank from 32MB's to 23.3 MB's so the rom did get smaller when I disassembled and reassembled it without any changes. Also swar # 117 has 104 samples and 9 of them are in the 44.1khz range which is interesting.

And the speed changes weren't do to samples rates cause the song would play fine at first for about 2 seconds and then slow down for some reason.

Last edited by biolizardshadow, Jul 23, 2020
  7. biolizardshadow

United States
    I just used tinke to disassemble and reassemble the rom but no change, however I was able to get the game to somewhat play the music and gameplay though that required me to delete 104 samples and replace them with my current 13 samples but it's weird. The game originally had (and this is for swar # 117) 104 samples but it only took 13 samples to fill up memory?

8. biolizardshadow

United States
    Is their a way to find out how much memory is being used? It seems that no matter what I do their is always some sort of problem. Besides the ARM7 processor controls wifi and sound so ram shouldn't be an issue

Last edited by biolizardshadow, Jul 24, 2020
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The ROM will go from 32 to whatever as the repacking process does not include the padding -- ROM dumpers dump everything and other than SD cards in recent times most things then go up in powers of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256....)

Memory being used... not in a way like you might be used to for a PC or similarly potent machine.
    You can do DEADBEEF padding with older versions of DSATM, and there was a desmume fork around here somewhere to do something similar and note what is written. That is more useful for finding free space though to use for something else than something overflowing which is what you seem to be heading towards.

10. biolizardshadow

United States
    Does the DS have one ram bank shared by both processors then? If so then that would explain why most samples are ADPCM instead of 16bit or 8bit PCM.

Last edited by biolizardshadow, Jul 25, 2020
  11. biolizardshadow

United States
    It's fixed or at least I think so. I guess I have to mark the load individually box, I thought that it would load things individually unless told to do so but I guess not.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - causing, freeze, (HELP