Swap magic

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Yatashi Strife, Dec 4, 2008.

Dec 4, 2008

Swap magic by Yatashi Strife at 6:16 PM (1,315 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Yatashi Strife
    OP

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yo i recently found out what swap magic is and i wanna
    know if should buy the newest version for my PS2 slim or get an older version of swap magic?

2. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    *Sigh*

It's MUCH easier and better to do the softmod. Read the guide I made.

3. Valdure

Newcomer Valdure Member

United States
    A softmod which requires special disks to install anyways. Granted the ones suggested in your tutorial work but Swapmagic is simpler to use and useful for the few odd games that don't work with ESR or HDLoader.

If you can get your hands on any of the following disks: Codebreaker, Action Replay Max (you must have the max media player which is sometimes included), or Swapmagic then you should be able to install FreeMCBoot just fine.

You want to use FreeMCBoot because it allows you to boot games and homebrew through the Memory Card without having to swap discs all the time.

There are two versions of swapmagic. Version 3.6 has perfect compatibility and is usually cheaper. Version 3.8 breaks compatibility with a good amount of games in order to allow you to use cheats. I think there are better ways to cheat once you install FreeMCBoot but I'm not sure since I never really use cheats.

Here is an index of tutorials regarding FreeMCBoot.

Here is the guide for preparing Swapmagic for FMCB.

And Here is the Noobie guide for installing FMCB once your disc is prepared.

4. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I would NEVER, EVER tell anyone to get SwapMagic. It costs to much, hard to find and its a PAIN to use!!! If you REALLY want to use something like that go softmod your PS2 and use CogSwap (its the same as SwapMagic).

At first it FREE_MC_BOOT LOOKS harder but it isn't, the steps to getting it up are harder but once you get it on you DON'T HAVE TO SWAP DISKS ANYMORE!

SwapMagic = R4
    FREE_MC_BOOT = CycloDS

5. Yatashi Strife
    OP

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    thanks for the help and the only reason i want swap magic is because someone already showed me ho to setup the ps2 for swap magic + its not that bad. as long s it can play backup im good

6. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I agree with playallday. It's pretty easy to softmod, unless you completely suck at pushing buttons like me. And swapping gets annoying after a while

7. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Swap Magic really isn't that bad. It's not TEH DEVIL.

8. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I haven't had a game fail on me yet for softmodding with UlaunchELF, ESR public beta, and my trusty codebreaker! XD