Hardware Supported HDD (for Wii)

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've always been using Western Digital disc drives for my Wii and was thinking of getting new ones.

Eternal disc drives are recommended to have their own power supply.

I remember some SD cards are too big for the Wii. Is there also a limit for HDD?
Is there anything else that should be considered? I remember there used to be a compatibility list but I'm not able to find it.

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Wii (or, more correctly, "the vast majority of software for the Wii") only supports the MBR partition table, which (like the FAT32 file system) is limited to 4 terasectors*, see https://gbatemp.net/threads/32kb-clusters-gpt-to-mbr-4tb-usb-hard-drive-help.503805/#post-7975529 - this of course has to be combined with a limited but nonzero number of problematic disks

SDs have a similiar* but unrelated reasoning - older software doesn't support SDHC*, newer ones do (I had all my backups on a 128 GB card since modern CIOS, Wii usb loaders, and Nintendont all support SDHC but I wouldn't have been able to save Brawl screenshots on it for example)

* officially all 4 GB or higher cards can't be SDSC (the standard type), in practice there are some and they work (with caveats) - note how one limit is commonly said to be doesn't actually imply what it appears to imply

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end