Supported HDD (for Wii)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by UltraDolphinRevolution, Jul 21, 2019.

1. UltraDolphinRevolution
    OP

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    I've always been using Western Digital disc drives for my Wii and was thinking of getting new ones.

Eternal disc drives are recommended to have their own power supply.

I remember some SD cards are too big for the Wii. Is there also a limit for HDD?
    Is there anything else that should be considered? I remember there used to be a compatibility list but I'm not able to find it.

2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
  3. UltraDolphinRevolution
    OP

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Thank you.
    So is it 8 TB (TO?) or 2 TB?
    It's not as easy anymore to find smaller drives with their own supply. I will probably go for Western Digital again.

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The Wii (or, more correctly, "the vast majority of software for the Wii") only supports the MBR partition table, which (like the FAT32 file system) is limited to 4 terasectors*, see https://gbatemp.net/threads/32kb-clusters-gpt-to-mbr-4tb-usb-hard-drive-help.503805/#post-7975529 - this of course has to be combined with a limited but nonzero number of problematic disks

SDs have a similiar* but unrelated reasoning - older software doesn't support SDHC*, newer ones do (I had all my backups on a 128 GB card since modern CIOS, Wii usb loaders, and Nintendont all support SDHC but I wouldn't have been able to save Brawl screenshots on it for example)

* officially all 4 GB or higher cards can't be SDSC (the standard type), in practice there are some and they work (with caveats) - note how one limit is commonly said to be doesn't actually imply what it appears to imply

5. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Sep 14, 2015
    Qatar
    Doha - Qatar
    TO is TB in French.