Supercard Not Saving GBA Games

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Kalisiin, Aug 14, 2009.

Aug 14, 2009

Supercard Not Saving GBA Games by Kalisiin at 9:30 AM (1,063 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Kalisiin
    OP

Member Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    OK, I am probably a clueless noob, but HTF do you get a Supercard to save yer gosh-darn games and game data? The save-file doesn't exist for no reason!!

It saves, but, once I turn off the GBA, all the save data is lost.

for example, if I am playing Sim City, and I save a city...that city stays, as long as the power is on. I can load and re-load it as many times as I want.

but, if I turn off the GBA, the save data goes away. WTF?

2. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Is it a slot 2 device? Supercard SD? If so: Save the game as you would normally in game then press L+R+select+A then choose save. Next time you load your backup it'll have saved in game.

3. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    I'll try it.
    I thought the buttons were L + R + B + Select.
    I got a message when pressing those to save and said yes...and it went thru a % saved on screen, confirmed save...and then...same deal...no damn save.

Will try your button combo.

I just came back to this topic just to add note to my original posting that I was doing the button combo and still no darn save.

ON EDIT: Well, okay, that solved it. L + R + A + Select...not B.
    That worked.
    Most of the games I play...don't need saves, really, anyway...but some do, and it's nice to know how the heck to do it.

I guess that solves this topic, thanks for the help.

4. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Theres two type of saves, theres real time save where u save anytime/anywhere u want in the game (L + R + B + Select), and you push other button combo to reload where u are at (I donno what the button combos are but theres always google and supercard site... :/). and there is save, where it saves the last time the gba game save. (L + R + A + Select)

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Here's how it goes, just so you understand why the save combination is necessary. GBA games don't know how to talk to the SD card, and the patcher can't make them learn. So when you save your GBA game, the small bit of SRAM on the Supercard is updated correctly. However, this SRAM is lost a few seconds after you shut down because it's not backed up with a battery, so you need to make sure that the SRAM gets written to the *.sav file on your card before power is lost. Usually you do this with the button combination that the patcher added in. If however this combination doesn't work, you can try an alternative method known as the "Quick Power Cycle" method. Save in-game, then power off and QUICKLY power back on IN GBA MODE (broken in DS mode for some reason). Press Right to get to the Saver tab, navigate to the *.sav file, and press A twice. This should update the *.sav file with the current SRAM, which hasn't yet been lost since you powered back on so quickly.

6. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    I'll have to give your quick-save a try, too! Sounds a lot easier than remembering button combos, LOL.

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Damn, beat me to the punch [​IMG]