Hacking Discussion Superban : Better update firmware before hacking

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The situation is still confusing.
-If i update with choidujorenx (without burning any fuses) and play online, is there any chance of getting banned?
-For a future, hypothetical, EmuNAND, does your current official FW version even matter if you can do Fusee Gelee?
-Can Fusee Gelee overwrite the FW to boot into CFW without needing a jig at every boot?
-Assuming a CFW that loads backup games is not possible (it is, but assuming it is not), could Fusee Gelee do everything a warm boot exploit do from within the Switch OS? For example on PS3 you could mount (and run) backup games from OFW, but you needed a way of triggering it, my question is: does Fusee Gelee have the same amount of "access" to the Switch OS than a warm boot exploit would have? I would think a warm boot exploit from the Switch OS is more likely to be able to modify the Switch OS in real time than Fusee Gelee, that is run before the OS.
-Given the history of game console hacking, i don't think there will ever be much point in downgrading if you can run Fusee Gelee, especially because newer games will require new FW version. This is especially true if there will be EmuNAND like on the 3DS, which allows you to play original games online, while still being able to boot into CFW and play backups offline.
-Just like you can update without burning fuses now, i guess in the future, if needed, old edited FW version will be releases with a change in the number of burned fuses they require to run.
  • Yes as with any and all hacks however your chances of getting banned due to this are monumentally lessened if you don't pirate any games
  • If you wish to use an exploit that is not Fusee Gelee (such as Jamais/Deja Vu), then yes. Otherwise, you can use EmuNAND to keep all of your hacking separate from your online activities
  • AutoRCM removes the need for a jig. An internal trinket or external dongle/modchip can remove the need for sending a payload
  • Theoretically warmboothax and coldboothax can have access to the same level of privileges but due to the nature of how they are executed, coldboot is objectively superior. The differences between coldboothax and warmboothax come down to the level of execution. In the case of the Switch, for coldboot we need to enter RCM via shorting pin 10 then send a payload via USB connection. For warmboot, it would involve opening a webpage.
  • Well thanks to Fusee Gelee, we can downgrade because the fuses prevent us from downgrading in the first place but Fusee Gelee happens before the fuse check
  • This is impossible without physically modifying the console

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for coldboot we need to enter RCM via shorting pin 10 then send a payload via USB connection
Nope. A true untethered-Coldboot would be taking over the bootrom and launching unsigned code thus removing the need for a usb tether. There was a bounty to crack it afaik but what's come of it would be a guess.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. A true untethered-Coldboot would be taking over the bootrom and launching unsigned code thus removing the need for a usb tether.
Thanks for taking the line out of context.
  • In the case of the Switch, for coldboot we need to enter RCM via shorting pin 10 then send a payload via USB connection.
If you mean for a hypothetical future coldboot, then yes. But the current one involves entering RCM which can actually be done multiple ways but the most common is through grounding pin 10. And unless you happen to know of one, then there is no reason to speculate on undiscovered exploits.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for taking the line out of context.
If you mean for a hypothetical future coldboot, then yes. But the current one involves entering RCM which can actually be done multiple ways but the most common is through grounding pin 10. And unless you happen to know of one, then there is no reason to speculate on undiscovered exploits.
We already have that so I figured it was irrelevant, also considering there is no warmboot and the question was theoretical cold vs warm I assumed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol our trash can decided to go flying and flipped on its side