Super Retro-Cade

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by kuwanger, Sep 29, 2018.

1. kuwanger
    OP

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Just tried with Orange Pi Lite 2.2.2. uEnv.txt by default looks like:

Code:
    bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 consoleblank=0 quiet
    bootcmd=load mmc 0:1 0x43000000 sun8i-h3-orangepi-lite.dtb; load mmc 0:1 0x42000000 KERNEL; bootz 0x42000000 - 0x43000000

Following step 4 to resize, it's the same. Then 5 and 6 turn it to:

Code:
    bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 consoleblank=0 quiet tty retroarch=0
    bootcmd=load mmc 0:1 0x43000000 sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc-plus.dtb; load mmc 0:1 0x42000000 KERNEL; bootz 0x42000000 - 0x43000000

I can also confirm this boots to a terminal. I'm not sure what step you're tripping up on, but you should be able to get at least that far with the instructions I provided.

Nah, uenv.txt isn't altered during the resize. The point of doing the resize first is so you can edit the uenv.txt and copy over the new firmware at the same time. The other reason is I'm not sure if it's the retroarch service that kicks off the resize or something else, so it's simpler to go with what I know works--the default uenv.txt will do the resize properly. Looks like he ended up have a uenv.txt that's chopped off partly that's the problem.

That's an idea. I didn't include such instructions and went with the ext2explorer because I didn't want to confuse people into accidentally deleting the wrong partition. :/ I imagine a fat32 usb drive would be the actually easiest approach for Windows users.

Last edited by kuwanger, Jun 27, 2019
  2. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    THANK YOU. Yep, that seemed to do the trick! I'm running Codename Viper right now with the crisp graphics it probably should have had in the first place. I had to switch directories to reach the new firmware before I installed it (you may recall that I couldn't put it directly on the root directory), but once I did that the install went pretty smoothly. Thanks again. I wasn't eager to pay sixty dollars for a replacement unit.

3. ssybesma

ssybesma Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2019
    United States
    Hello PSX_Specter,

I'm dead at step number four (just a Lakka prompt but I can use the keyboard to bring up the setup program if I knew what it's name was).

I happened to use the latest version of orangepi_lite.arm which is now 2.2.2, and I did make the change to the uEnv.txt file as indicated ("sun8i-h3-orangepi-lite.dtb" did
    appear as you indicated and I was able to change it to "sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dtb" and save to the SD CARD that the Lakka image was copied to with Win32 Disk Imager).

All that happened on boot was it resized the filesystem and rebooted as you said would happen...just that it never asked to setup any controllers.

Right now, just sitting at a prompt...

Lakka:~ # _

I did "ls -al" on many different directories to search for a setup/configuration program but didn't find one.

What should my next step be to force the setup/configuration program to come up?

Thanks!

Last edited by ssybesma, Sep 2, 2019
  4. ssybesma

ssybesma Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2019
    United States
    PSX_Specter,

What did you mean by installing Lakka before modifying uenv.txt?

You were quoted a couple messages up from here, but maybe I'm taking out of context?

The instructions said to modify it on the PC and then boot the RBSRC from the SD card which is what I did.

BTW, my unit already has firmware version 1.1 so at least I don't need to flash anything.

Was hoping to use Lakka for connectivity, keyboard access and as my game launcher.

Thanks!

Last edited by ssybesma, Sep 2, 2019
  5. Wolfenprey

Wolfenprey Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Spain
    Hello people, at first: Sorry if my english, or maybe "engrish" it´s or seems terrible. You know, not my first language... :/

I followed this thread, for around some days, because i have a little device that mounts the same exact, main board, but it´s not a Super Retro Cade, (maybe some day i can buy one, i havent had enough luck to see one on my country, at a decent price).

The device i have it´s an little console from our friends of China, that i bought on an offer on a famous chinese online store months ago, because why not, and because i got a good price. I have two orange pi too, one lite and one PC Plus, and reading this thread, i just tried a lakka image on my device, and, MAGIC, it boots. I dismounted the thing, and discovered that the same board, same specs are inside, Android with a custom launcher, and some random roms with random and strange thumbnails. The model of my console is a "Coolbaby RS-93" (sigh), you can find some info on YT, and see the entrails, the same as the Retro Cade. There is another model with the same case, but runs on another board and SOC, "Coolbaby RS-34" i think, the "good" one is RS-93.

My point here: i´m pretty sure the Retro Cade Firmware can work with my machine, (no, i will not ask for it, i´m not such a tech boy, and know about the legal issues), Lakka works so well, im testing it a lot, and works better than the original chinese firmware. (GBA emulation on my device its abismal! rest of the supported emus, mame, genesis, snes and nes, works so well,but all with that stupid bilinear filtering enabled....)

Well, i want to try to backup the firm, and play a bit without destroy everything, i know this thread seems a bit dead, but just wanted to share this, maybe someone can find it useful, and can try things with that device model if somebody have one!.

Thanks!

6. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 Error 0x345559df has occured.

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    I will buy an rs-93. if its an allwinner device booting lakka, I can probably port android to it (if it atleast has 512mb of ram) from there options and homebrew would expand significantly.

Wolfenprey likes this.
  7. Wolfenprey

Wolfenprey Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Spain
    Well AFAIK, board inside the RS-93, it´s exactly the same as the Retro Cade, but, with a chinese firmware with a couple of random roms. It seems to have 256mb of RAM, if i remember well. I will take another look inside lakka for be sure and share the specs if you want.

8. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    if you are able to take pictures that be great. I ordered mine but may take up to 20 days. hate ordering stuff overseas.
    can you take a screenshot of what happense when you press select + start in the middle of a game being emulated?

You see the question is what type of android LRD did they use for this. if they didnt half ass it, with any luck we could get retroarch (an updated version) with network support (with a usb ethernet adapter) bearing that, a clean android image could be made from it as well if thats what its running in the backend as well.

9. tjsmith3

tjsmith3 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2019
    United States
    Alexandria Virginia
    Is there a way to get my super retrocade to recognize the genesis mini controller?

10. Wolfenprey

Wolfenprey Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Spain
    Ok sorry for the wait. This is what you can see:

photo_2019-10-05_21-35-43.

This is the menu... With an sd card inserted with some roms, that you have to put as "001.xxx.zip", "002.xxx.zip" etc. Dont know how to make appear an thumbnail or screenshot as image in menu.

photo_2019-10-05_21-35-42.

Pressing "SELECT+START" promts you to save or cancel, and then exits the game.

photo_2019-10-05_21-35-42 (2).

Detail of the "warning" when you start a game, it seems to use some sort of retroarch cores for sure. That appears on nes, snes and genesis/megadrive games, not on arcade/mame ones.

If i connect a keyboard with multimedia keys i can up or down the volume and see the typical android prompt of volume control. Cannot close or go away from the launcher. It detects mouse too, but, cannot make anything, you can see the cursor pointer on a corner of the screen but cannot move or use it.

If you need more things, i´m ready. :)

11. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    LOL. thats android running retroarch!
    This is exciting news. if they are using a generic image, it could be stripped of all the copyrighted junk and maybe a distributable image could be done that allows homebrew! (since this would use no copyrighted front end like the retro-cade!)
    All conjecture at this point but man I would need to dump an image (i have to wait for my nonsense to arrive in the mail :( )
    wonderful news all around if its the same hardware as the retro-cade we may get a bootable image for both devices!
    I might PM you with some more questions.

12. Wolfenprey

Wolfenprey Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Spain
    Perfect! :D If i can help, i will do it. Just be afraid of my shifts at work, i ever do nights, sometimes i can be "slow" to response! :/

13. WD_GASTER2

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    it should just be a few more days. I am tracking my package and its here in LA now. so just a bit longer

14. Wolfenprey

Wolfenprey Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    Spain
    Perfect! I´m tempted to try your custom firmware for the Super Retro Cade, but maybe i just wait ;D

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted