Super Paper Mario black screen

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Filter, Feb 17, 2009.

Feb 17, 2009

Super Paper Mario black screen by Filter at 10:21 PM (4,019 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Filter
    OP

Member Filter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I burned Super Paper Mario [NTSC] via Imageburn on 2.4x on Verbatim DVD-R and I get a black screen when trying to load through gamma loader.

I brickblocked it also. What happens when you brick block a ISO that doesnt have a update will it mess up the ISO?

Newer games work fine but this one doesnt.

I have these installed:
    CIOS_FIX.WAD
    DjTaz_gamma_Loader.wad
    IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
    IOS38-64-v3609.wad

2. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Do you have softmii installed?

If so disable region hacks via preloader. should work then.

Else .... i dunno.

3. Filter
    OP

United States
    Nope I don't have softmii installed.

4. spadagoal

Newcomer spadagoal Member

Australia
    The fact that you're using brickblocker on the iso may be the reason why the game isn't working.

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Don't burn DVD-Rs at 2.4x, that's crazy. Brickblocking isn't required at all when you use Gamma or SoftChip, in fact it's able to cause trouble. In theory you can "brickblock" every game, wether it has an update or not, or if it's already brickbocked, but the game will be truchs signed after this in all cases. And that's something you really don't need when it's not necessary for some reason.

For the game not working: Get to know what you installed there, and you will have your answer(and much more). And check where it is installed and what cios_fix overwrites when you install it.

6. Filter
    OP

United States
    Well I had a the same ISO but this one is not brick blocked. I burned it faster speed and it still doesnt load. It makes noise in the Wii while its spinning. Other back ups work fine. And I could not find out what was wrong or what I needed to do to get this to work after a ton of google searches.

7. Stephanie

Member Stephanie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know if this is off-topic. So will my scrubbed version of Animal Crossing: City Folk be a problem on Gamma? It might need the extra data that's been scrubbed off to read amirite? I don't get a title screen, but I get an error that's from Animal Crossing.

8. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Stephanie, yes' it's off-topic, but scrubbed discs run exactly the same as normal discs. The data that's removed is junk - it doesn't do anything, it's unused space. In theory a future update might be able to check for it but I doubt it's high up their priority list, and I doubt it would be particularly easy for them to implement (I suppose it depends how the data is generated in the first place.)

Filter, every Wii disc has an update partition. Super Paper Mario's includes IOS11, IOS12, IOS13, IOS15, IOS17 and IOS21. I'm not sure which IOS the game uses, but it will be one of those. Are you missing any?

9. Filter
    OP

United States
    Well I did not edit the ISO at all the secound time and it did not work.

Could I possibly need to install something to get it to work?

What programs do I need to view Wii ISO information?

My MD5 hash matches the release groups one and everyone says it works for them so I am stumped.

10. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That's what I meant - does your Wii have all of IOS11, 12, 13, 15, 17 and 21 installed? If I were to guess I'd say that Super Paper Mario probably uses IOS21, but I don't know how to check. If you don't have them, you can either extract their WAD files from the ISO with WiiScrubber or google the name + 'wad' and look for a download link.

Edit: I just found this page on the gbatemp wiki...it says that Super Paper Mario does use IOS21. So try finding IOS21-64-v514.wad and installing it with WAD Manager - like I said, it's in the ISO file (in _sys in the Update Partition, get it with WiiScrubber) or it should be googleable.

11. Filter
    OP

United States
    I downloaded WiiScrubber got IOS21 from another game cause Super Paper Mario did not have it in the ISO. I installed it and it still does not work. Also retail disk does not work.

12. AdamTheZombie

Newcomer AdamTheZombie Advanced Member

United States
    Filter, did you end up finding a resolution? I have this problem as well, as well as with Twilight Princess. I also have IOS21 installed and no luck....