Super Mario 64's source code has been decompiled and officially released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 26, 2019.

1. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Incomplete and buggy?

I played this game nonstop as a kid on the N64 and never experienced any game breaking or even significant bugs

Honestly this game was way more polished than most modern games

Jmbenetti, AlexMCS, navimor and 9 others like this.
  2. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Sounds nice, but this doesn't sound very 'official' to me.

Darklinkreturns likes this.
  3. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    mario 64 sourceports when

Jmbenetti likes this.
  4. gamer765
    This message by gamer765 has been removed from public view by Chary, Aug 26, 2019, Reason: Response to a deleted post.
    Aug 26, 2019
  5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The official comes from the decompiling team officially releasing it, rather than the odd leak/potentially stolen work distribution (?) that occurred a month ago.

smileyhead and lexarvn like this.
  6. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    First of all, that means the game can be ported to another system right?

But most important of all, does this means that future romhacks could be compatible with original hardware now that the decompiled code is out in the wild?

7. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    gbatemp.net
    I thought the point of this release was that they went through and actually added sensical names variables and functions, so you can actually work with it. I remember seeing this leaked a few weeks (months?) back in an "incomplete" state, which had some source files that were clearly straight out of a decompiler with meaningless names.

RednaxelaNnamtra and osaka35 like this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, by all means, it's more understandable than pure machine code - you can actually look at it and they did add useful commentary. My point was that this isn't a reflection of how the original source files looked like when they were originally made, it's a faithful recreation based on the decompiled binaries that results in an accurate binary when compiled. You still need to be well-versed in the N64's way of doing things before you can work with it though. It's actually really impressive judging by what's hosted on the Github. You can't really "get" the original files out of a decompiler, but you can rearrange and rename things to make them more understandable for someone with experience, which is what this is.

CrashOveride likes this.
  9. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Does this mean someone will port this to the switch and I won't have to use any emulator to run it?

Jmbenetti likes this.
  10. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    This game’s modding scene is about to blow wide open

11. CrashOveride

CrashOveride Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    The matter is someone MAY do it. The codebase relies heavily on libultra and is designed for the N64 and nothing else.
    Many romhacks(recent ones anyway) are console compatible, and Kaze recently got star road to run on console at 20-30 fps.

12. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Born in '04, living in '96.

May 4, 2018
    United States
    Super Mario 64 running natively on Windows.

Is it safe to toss Project64 in the trash yet?

13. CrashOveride

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    1. NOBODY has got it running natively on anything yet.

2. Project64 is fine? as long as you're using a nightly and not 1.6

14. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Super Mario 64 DS?

CrashOveride likes this.
  15. CrashOveride

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    he said "modern graphics" lol

16. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    You mean modern modern? All right!, here we go!

17. CrashOveride

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    Nintendo, Hire This Man

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I mentioned in other threads I did a little compare and contrast with some of the bigger and juicier files between the leaked version and this. Not a night and day difference (in the leaked code discussion thread some were claiming far nicer function names, comments everywhere and whatnot but not really) and some odd choices for changes as far as formatting (nothing dealbreaking, just odd) but probably best you move to this if you are doing anything.

In theory it could.

In practice unless and until it gets remade into a form that works with more modern consoles probably not.

There is the halfway house of being able to alter the code to make it more amenable to emulation (especially dynamic recompilation like a lot of "faster" N64 emulators opt for) but I have never really seen that done before (however the N64 would be a reasonable candidate for it). Afraid it has been too long since I looked at N64 emulation so I don't know what percentage of the time this game spends running as dynarec rather than more traditional emulation. Source code is rare for ROM hackers, source code available for proper use even more so, but even then I would normally only expect to really see such mods done to things to make either widescreen hacks work better, dodge anti piracy, dodge resolution issues (could also apply to those games that change resolution and break signal adapter boxes), work around control limitations (got fewer buttons, sticks, touchscreens in the way... no worries any more where normally control hacking is tedious) and do similar such "small" but still quite tedious to do as a ROM hacker things.

Ryccardo likes this.
  19. CrashOveride

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    Personally, I waited until the team released it themselves because I considered it morally repugnant to use the leak. If there wasn't a difference between leak and release I'd still use release. Especially after the annoying drama that unfolded in the last thread.

20. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Again from what I've read, this seems to not be a 100% reproduction of Nintendo's code, some spots it seems had to be filled in, and though I'm sure it works, it doesn't mean your seeing exactly how the Nintendo devs did it, which I think for many is the coolest part about this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Aug 26, 2019
    CrashOveride likes this.
  21. CrashOveride

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    United States
    A 100% reproduction would be impossible tbh, this is the best we're gonna get unless Ninty releases the sources for their N64 output

(rare pls release n64 sauce codes)

Ericthegreat likes this.