[Suggestion] Start sniffing from now!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by AssemblerX86, May 24, 2017.

1. AssemblerX86
    OP

AssemblerX86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    Hello,

As you know, only some months are separating us from Nintendo discontinuing support for the Wii U and shutting down the network, so I guess we should start sniffing packets (Reverse engineer) from the game servers from now as it will be much easier than doing so when there is only a client-side connection (Servers shut down), that is to keep the Wii U alive for a few more years, I mean the Wii U scene has really started only before a few months from Nintendo announcing that it stopped creating Wii U consoles, so its a little bit late.

What do you think? I mean in order to create a project similar to this one: https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki

EDIT:

Last edited by AssemblerX86, May 25, 2017
  2. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez Banned!

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I sniff undies everyday.

Oh. You mean network traffic. Ehh, not as fun.

3. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I dont think they`ll stop online so soon. But it would be nice to ensure its survival in some shape or form for prosperity.

4. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, May 24, 2017
  5. Maschell

Maschell GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Dekirai likes this.
  6. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was shut down two years after the Wii U released, I doubt it's that close tbh.

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The """Nintendo""" Wi-Fi Connection isn't a good comparison, because it was actually designed and operated by Gamespy who decided to stop operating all of their servers, not only the ones used for Nintendo's multiplayer...

As for the main topic, it would be rather useful if someone were to develop and publish a patch to disable certificate verification, like it was done for the 3DS at the start of this month...

...but hey, it's just a Wii U after all

8. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Maschell's repo that was linked above does actually have a method of getting access to unencrypted game data - since most games compile in a piece of middleware called nn::nex, just MiTMing it isn't enough (not to mention damn near impossible). Annoyingly it does happen on a game-by-game basis, though I hear he's got some heuristics to make that easier? As for the SSL side of it (which you don't need to worry about with nn::nex patching) there's been an effort made to get hold of the certificates needed for MiTMing. Apparently it didn't go that well? I think Maschell's cracked the way forward here.

9. Maschell

Maschell GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Even with SSL disable, there would be still parts you can't easily sniff and RE. NN::NEX is using kerberos for example, which is designed for networks that are unsafe and my be eavesdropped.
    So the game/nn::nex is encrypting some data independently from any ssl (MK8 is also using encrypted data from nn::lib that is encrypted in nn::nex).

+ The repo I posted also hooks into the SSL functions of the WiiU

Last edited by Maschell, May 26, 2017
  10. aplumafreak500

aplumafreak500 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    East Smethport, PA
    AFAIK there are both client and root certs in one of the Wii U's system titles. Idk if we can (safely) modify them without bricking (or at least losing online access) but in the future, this is something we can look at.