Suggested MicroSD for DS Game Emulation

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DeadVCR, Oct 9, 2016.

1. DeadVCR
    OP

DeadVCR Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    Canada
    Ok, so here's my situation. I bought an R4i SDHC for emulating games on my DS / DSi.
    All has gone well (and I've been playing a lot of Phoenix Wright :P) except for Pokemon Black / Black 2.
    I had a hell of a time trying to get past the AP and getting the game to run... But I did it. And now it's all good. Except, when I play the game and try to save it, the game simply freezes. For awhile I thought that this was the AP, but after doing some reading and testing, I found out it was the speed of the MicroSD. The card simply can't keep up with the game. I proved this by playing the game for a bit, saving and it and seeing if it would freeze. If it did, I would restart and do the exact same steps I did before. I would wait 5 or so minutes in the exact same spot, then try to save. It would not freeze.

So, here's my question to the community today. Do you have a MicroSD that can run Black / White 2 without any lag or freezing?

The MicroSD I am currently using is a SanDisk Ultra 8GB MicroSD HC I Class 10.
    I'm sure anything under that would not work / get worse results such as lag in-game. (This MicroSD showed frame dropping or lag.) I'm going to go buy a 32 GB UHS-1 Class 10 MicroSD with speeds topping 85 MB/s to see how that works. If you guys have MicroSD's that you know work, please put them here.

Thanks so much <3

2. MaximusVX

MaximusVX Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    I...don't know much about any DS hardware, I mean I too have an R4i 3DS, but I feel like practically any DS game out there has read/write speeds slower than any modern commercial microsD card (Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong?) Especially a Class 10..

Is it a legit SanDisk microSD card? Those are counterfeit a lot

3. DeadVCR
    OP

DeadVCR Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    Canada
    It's legit. But the Class 10's that I have were made around 2006, way before Black 2 came out. I'm pretty sure that the UHS-1 Class 10 will run it without any problem, but I just want to see if anyone has one that they know works.

4. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I had a class 4 8GB for the longest time in my DSTWO - it did the job but the Tony Hawk games had framerate issues for sure. With a class 10 card from probably 2014 the framerate problems are still there but maybe less so... could just be the games and not my SD Card. Everything else though worked fine on my old card, you should be alright.