Suddenly Can't Boot into redNAND

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by veraci_00, Nov 13, 2016.

1. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    all of a sudden, I can't seem to boot into redNAND. wtf!? it doesn't make any sense. I've done nothing to the NAND.

2. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Informix23

Informix23 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2016
    Mexico
    Did you boot with iosuhax? It happened to me, after boot with iosuhax I couldn't boot to rednand I don't know why

4. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    yes. I'm trying to reformat the sd card, but I don't know how. it has unallocated memory that I can't get back.

5. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    if your on windows you will have to use a 3rd party drive partition program. windows os built in tools dont support partitions on sd cards. using linux also would work

6. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    I'm going to start over. I figured out how to get the partition through dos. disk management would not create a new partition over the redNAND partition.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I can't even create a new redNAND partition. wtf is going on!?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

power-cycling worked. even unplugging the power didn't work, so I don't know what happened. :-/

7. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    If you have Windows, you can do it through CMD.
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk [NUMBER FOR YOUR SD]
    clean
    create partition primary

Then you can use your partition manager of choice to format the now RAW SD Card as FAT32

8. karyuudo

karyuudo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2008
    United States
    Canada
    I've run into a very odd issue. After having RedNAND set itself up completely yesterday. I put the SD card into my computer and it does not show that there's two partitions on my 64 GB SD card. I figured that Windows just wasn't displaying it properly, so I simply formatted the 32 gb portion and copied the install/wiiu folder + the FW.img over to the SD again. When I tried to boot into RedNand, it said it wasn't set up at all. Now I'm trying to format this SD card back to 64 GB again and I can't seem to claim back the second partition no matter what partition application I've tried. It's like RedNAND fried 32GB of my card :(

9. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Use GParted instead of windows formatting.

10. karyuudo

karyuudo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2008
    United States
    Canada
    Thanks for this suggestion. I was trying to use fat32formatter before. With GParted, is there a Windows application? All I can find on the website are ISO files that I would need to burn to CD.

11. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    I would recommend making a live USB of gparted or Fedora Linux and running GParted on it, as it only runs under linux.

12. karyuudo

karyuudo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2008
    United States
    Canada
    Figured out what was wrong. Looks like my laptops SD card reader, can read 64 gb cards, but if there's ever an issue with un-allocated / corrupt partitions it doesn't display things properly. I ended up using a USB SD Card reader that was designed specifically for 32+gb cards... now it reads it properly and I can format using SDFormatter. Really annoying spending a few hours banging my head on this. Hopefully though this'll help others in the same situation.