Suggestion Subscription System

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Users are already notified about replies to a specific thread, but why not let them recieve notifications for threads created under specific forums? They could choose to recieve notifications for:
a) All postings
b) Important posts only (important posts include things like a new game being released, or a new exploit being released, or posts from verified users, not things like people asking for help)
You could also mark your thread as important, so it will notify other users, but it will be checked by GBATemp staff before users are notified.

It could work similarly to YouTube subscriptions.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Users are already notified about replies to a specific thread, but why not let them recieve notifications for threads created under specific forums? They could choose to recieve notifications for:
a) All postings
b) Important posts only (important posts include things like a new game being released, or a new exploit being released, or posts from verified users, not things like people asking for help)
You could also mark your thread as important, so it will notify other users, but it will be checked by GBATemp staff before users are notified.

It could work similarly to YouTube subscriptions.
I can't imagine a) being popular except for the oldest/nichest of forums, but in those circumstances you're probably good with just a small number of posts subscribed to. And how would you determine what is "important" for b)? Surely everyone's definition of important is different.

The staff doesn't need to spend the time they could be moderating on checking this easily spammable/trollable system. I see the bad far outweighing the good in implementing a system such as this. Why not make your own thread that is dedicated to new game releases?

Scratch all that. Click the "Watch forum" link at the top right of a forum.

Last edited by Pedeadstrian,

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Typical. Every time I make a suggestion, someone makes fun of it
Woah there. Alright then how about this:
YouTube is a bit of a mess, adpocolypse, their t&c’s as well as content organisers are turning slowly to a system similar to a dictatorship country (that’s a metaphor, by the way...)
YouTube is really a mess and I tried to lighten that fact with simply a joke, in no way mocking you.
Man if you really think that’s making fun or ridicule out of it then you’re doomed on the internet kek.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I understand, but if you want notifications for threads for subforums...
https://gbatemp.net/forums/gbatemp-scene-news.101/index.rss
You could get the RSS of a given forum into IFTTT, and set it to email you or alert your phone when a new thread is made in the Scene News section. So, sorta like Youtube sub alerts.
Or click the "Watch forum" button at the top-right of a subforum. The only thing the OP wants that it doesn't do is use AI/mod man/woman/spiderpower to decide what's "important" which is silly anyway.

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Woah there. Alright then how about this:
YouTube is a bit of a mess, adpocolypse, their t&c’s as well as content organisers are turning slowly to a system similar to a dictatorship country (that’s a metaphor, by the way...)
YouTube is really a mess and I tried to lighten that fact with simply a joke, in no way mocking you.
Man if you really think that’s making fun or ridicule out of it then you’re doomed on the internet kek.
DW Im not offended or anyfin IK its jus a joke

But srsly I had no idea about the “watch forum” thingy til now.

Heres another idea: Users can tag their posts as “help wanted” so other users aren’t notified when they they watch the forum

Last edited by Alex4nder001,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol