Stuttering cutscenes

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Blaze163, Sep 6, 2011.

Sep 6, 2011

Stuttering cutscenes by Blaze163 at 4:24 PM (1,044 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho.

I've noticed that some of my games, notably Futurama and Dirge Of Cerberus, seem to be struggling with cutscenes. Gameplay seems unaffected thus far but the cutscenes stutter every now and then. Is this something to do with ESR, FreeMCBoot, the quality of the disks used, etc? Everything else seems unaffected for the time being, so I'm not thinking its the disks. I used Tesco Value DVD-R disks for the first batch, which the two affected games are stored on. Maybe they're just dodgy copies?

Might be nothing but if it is a symptom of a larger problem with the system, I'd rather nip it in the bud before my PS2 dies on me and I'm left with sod all to do with my time.

2. justinefremlouw

Member justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most likely either the DVD or the laser. They say for better quality, burn slow with Sony or Taiyo Yuden DVD. I've encountered the same with high TOC games that has cutscenes using TDK.

Actually, my problem was worse, sometimes the cutscene would lag so much that it would freeze up and cost me hours of gameplay...Which is why I made the investment to switch to internal HDD+NA

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Bad discs and/or a dying laser. Tweaking the laser might get the speed up, but it could dramatically reduce its lifetime. Well, it could also be that you need to tweak it a little, they are adjusted to read retail discs perfectly...

4. MSaki

Member MSaki GBAtemp Regular

United States
    clean disk and laser first then decide on adjustment. >_>