Stupid bloatware

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Mar 10, 2009.

Mar 10, 2009

Stupid bloatware by Harsky at 3:26 PM (889 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Going to be ordering a new laptop soon so I figured I'd put in some research to see what the newest laptops can offer and one thing I'm probably going to be right is the number of bloatware on new computers and laptops. You know, the ones that fill up half the desktop space followed by the mass of messages that says, "60 DAYS TRIAL ORDER NOW NOW NOW". I had an HP laptop that was guilty of this to the point that I found it much quicker to format the new laptop and reinstall a downloaded Windows instead of picking each one out.

Now my current laptop which is a Dell also had the bloatware but in amongst the discs that I was sent was a Vista Home Premium disc which allowed me to just wipe out and start fresh. Does Sony, Toshiba or in fact, any other laptop company offer something like this?

2. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sonys only come with recovery disks AFAIK, at least they used to when I bought my Laptop. You can build your own Windows install disk out of those, though. The instructions I followed back then were in German language, but here's something that came up after some quick googleing.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So far, I never had to use a recovery disc before. What do they do? Just wipe clean and start again?

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    so, you use vista? and complain about bloatware? lolz...

and, its just another form of advertising, PC manufacturers are actually paid by these companies to preload this shit. the upside is that linux users like me get cheaper computers and never have to see any of this shit. [​IMG]

5. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    hm well my hp laptop only had norton preloaded, and a few hp programs. i was actually impressed

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Asus has loads of bloatware too. Removed that pretty much the day after I got it, and a day after that (as soon as I was sure it wouldn't kill my bootloader) opensuse was on there. I have to say I'm now roughly on my Vista install an hour a week which is when I run cubase. Aside from that I NEVER switch back. I did an hour ago and I got mad with the immense amount of messages asking me if I was root..... eum, if I would allow something to go and give it administrator rights, after which I had to say I was certain of doing that of course. Damn OS, just let me log in as root and shut up!

Anyway, bloatware comes with pretty much every laptop these days. Just throw a clean install at it and be done with it, or take the time to remove it all [​IMG].

7. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yepp, that's what they do. Usually they set your PC into the same state it was in when you bought it, inclusive bloatware.

8. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Argh, been full of computer problems today and didn't want to make a new thread when this current one is still at the top. My cousin needed a new PSU for his PC. His old one was 250W and wanted a 600W one in it. I connected everything up to it but in my rush, I connected the one which goes into the PCI Express connector into the motherboard. Now I don't know if this is the reason why it's preventing the PC from starting up again. I even put in the old PSU but it still doesn't work.

9. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Possibly yes, if you got that PCI-E connecter in there (didn't know it was fysically possible but I suppose it is seeing as you state you've done it) you most probably hooked up a ground to 12V and a 12V to ground. At least that is what looks like a possible fit to me. Anyway that would't be a good thing, you could go look for defective parts on the mtherboard I think (assuming the PSU didn't have a protection built in for it, but then again not sure if the PSUs today have such protection).