Stuck when rooting a nvidia shield tablet

Discussion in 'Android' started by Taleweaver, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So...about a month ago, I went out and bought a shield tablet (one of the newer editions). It works fine and all, but rooting it required a bit more than running kingoroot or a simple PC program. I quickly found this guide, but only yesterday came around to do most of the steps (good thing: I've barely used the tablet, so I don't mind if programs and settings are gone).

Things went fine until step 8 of the root procedure (meaning: 'minimal ADB and fastboot' finds the tablet just fine and its bootloader is unlocked). For some reason, it just didn't boot to the twrp, even though the installation commands said all was fine.
    So I started digging on the internet, and found that my tablet could be newer than that, and/or there is a more recent twrp that worked. Oh, and USB3.0 isn't the best way to go with this.
    So I found this page and went with instructions given there (which were identical, except of course a more updated twrp-image).

This worked to boot into TWRP (which apparently stands for Team Win Recovery Project...and shows my knowledge on this field :P ). At this point I decided to install supersu to the system, in accordance with the first guide (if that wouldn't work, I could still go with phh's superuser based on guide #2). However, I found out that rebooting into system just brought me back to the TWRP menu.

And that's where I'm currently stuck. After about an hour of trying to get into twrp, I now find myself unable to get out. :P Booting to the bootloader works okay, but no matter what further option I choose (restart, continue or recovery) I always end up in TWRP. Since it sometimes shows a fallen droid with open belly and exclamation mark on it, I assume I screwed up something (perhaps the installation of supersu?), but I'm currently unaware how to fix things exactly.

Does anyone here now? eg. how to (again) use the stock rom to install over the current system?

Thanks.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sounds like something got messed up with the bootloader somewhere, though I'm not sure how.

Try using fastboot to flash the stock firmware, you can find downloads of the stock firmware here: https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload Just choose whatever Shield Tablet you have (LTE or Wifi) and download the zip, extract it, then flash the .img files in fastboot.

You'll need to flash boot.img, system.img, and the staging blob, recovery and userdata can be skipped (recovery is, obviously, the stock recovery and userdata is, of course, user data. It'd basically be like a factory reset). These are the general instructions, if you need any help with the basics of fastboot flashing: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/mobile/shield/ROM/ST8/3_1_1/HowTo-Flash-Recovery-Image.txt

After that, you should try using the second root method.

Taleweaver likes this.
  3. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Just another heads up: thanks a lot! That got it back to working! :D

(okay, I'm still not rooted. But at least I can use it again :) )