Hardware Stuck on black screen

tommasi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unpatched switch running 8.1.0 is stuck in black screen on handheld mode, but it works fine when it’s docked. I tried to turn it off by holding the power button for 15 sec followed by pressing + and - and power in the same time. The system boots but I’m still stuck on black screen. I Formatted the SD card and I did system restore but nothing worked. Any tips that can help me?

Thanks

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any history/event, whats happened "before"?

Try to use light source point it on the screen.
Does the sound plays when it's in handheld mode?

Last edited by Agilato,

tommasi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sound works on handheld mode. And touch screen works. I can see the backlight on the screen but no picture.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Unpatched switch running 8.1.0 is stuck in black screen on handheld mode, but it works fine when it’s docked. I tried to turn it off by holding the power button for 15 sec followed by pressing + and - and power in the same time. The system boots but I’m still stuck on black screen. I Formatted the SD card and I did system restore but nothing worked. Any tips that can help me?

Thanks
Do you mean recovery mode? That's not quite how you enter recovery mode.
switchbrew.org said:
In order to enter Recovery Mode, the following combination must be performed:

• With the system powered off, press and hold Volume Down + Volume Up;
  • Press the Power button while still holding Volume Down + Volume Up;
  • Let go of the Power button and keep holding Volume Down + Volume Up until the maintenance applet shows up.

There is also a safe mode you can try:
[4.0.0+]

• With the system powered off, press and hold Volume Down;
  • Press the Power button while still holding Volume Down;
  • Keep pressing the Power button, but let go of Volume Down and press and hold Volume Up;
  • Let go of the Power button and keep holding Volume Up until the safemode system module starts.

And you didn't answer @Agilato's question. It's quite an important one. What happened up to this point could clue us in on whether this is a hardware fault or not. But sadly with this sort of issue it usually is.

Using a flashlight to shine on the screen like he said can help you tell if the backlight is just dead or disconnected. You should be able to see something on screen if the backlight is dead. Also, in a dark or dimly lit room, you can tell if the backlight lights up.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would open it and check LCD screen connector... It is quiet hard to kill LCD on switch...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yea I think i was supposed to say hormone replacement therapy