Hardware Stripped Screw

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to remove stripped screws from my 3DS? 7 of 9 are stripped and it has never been opened.

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A neat trick I do to get stripped screws out, is to put a rubber band over the screw and then jam your screw driver into it and turn. It seems to help in most cases, but the 3DS screws are so tiny it may not be of any use. Just stretch out the rubber band over the screw first then try putting the screwdriver over it while its still stretched. GL

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A neat trick I do to get stripped screws out, is to put a rubber band over the screw and then jam your screw driver into it and turn. It seems to help in most cases, but the 3DS screws are so tiny it may not be of any use. Just stretch out the rubber band over the screw first then try putting the screwdriver over it while its still stretched. GL
When I try to use a rubber band, my screwdriver ends up making a hole on the rubber band.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to use a rubber band, my screwdriver ends up making a hole on the rubber band.
ouch, sounds like you're S.O.L, even if you get it open you need replacement screws on-hand. But I'm pretty sure the only way of removing the screws would be micro drilling, even then it's dicey stuff. Maybe just consider trying to remove the casing via destruction and just buying a new shell for it, since it really sounds like you dun goofed, though maybe somebody else knows a neat trick that might help, doubt it though.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
I got the rubber band to work on the gameboy micro. so "too small" is no excuse. if it goes through the rubber band, buy better rubber bands, or a better sized triwing. Those shitty ones you get free with chinese aftermarket nintendo stuff are no good. I spent £10 on a set of four triwings that have serviced me wonderfully.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
You'll sacrifice the screwdriver, but the last resort is putting superglue on the bit and immediately attaching it to the screw, creating a bond. Take the screw out and throw it away.

And the rubber band "trick" has literally never worked.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you happen to have an old school watchmaker in your area you could ask them, they tend to have specialized tools to extract small screws

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs