Stripped Screw

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Hyoretsu, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Hyoretsu
    OP

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Is there a way to remove stripped screws from my 3DS? 7 of 9 are stripped and it has never been opened.

2. Phemeto

Phemeto GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    A neat trick I do to get stripped screws out, is to put a rubber band over the screw and then jam your screw driver into it and turn. It seems to help in most cases, but the 3DS screws are so tiny it may not be of any use. Just stretch out the rubber band over the screw first then try putting the screwdriver over it while its still stretched. GL

3. Hyoretsu
    OP

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    When I try to use a rubber band, my screwdriver ends up making a hole on the rubber band.

4. godofwrath

godofwrath GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    ouch, sounds like you're S.O.L, even if you get it open you need replacement screws on-hand. But I'm pretty sure the only way of removing the screws would be micro drilling, even then it's dicey stuff. Maybe just consider trying to remove the casing via destruction and just buying a new shell for it, since it really sounds like you dun goofed, though maybe somebody else knows a neat trick that might help, doubt it though.

5. AlanWeird

AlanWeird GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    Scotland
    I got the rubber band to work on the gameboy micro. so "too small" is no excuse. if it goes through the rubber band, buy better rubber bands, or a better sized triwing. Those shitty ones you get free with chinese aftermarket nintendo stuff are no good. I spent £10 on a set of four triwings that have serviced me wonderfully.

6. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    You'll sacrifice the screwdriver, but the last resort is putting superglue on the bit and immediately attaching it to the screw, creating a bond. Take the screw out and throw it away.

And the rubber band "trick" has literally never worked.

7. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    If you happen to have an old school watchmaker in your area you could ask them, they tend to have specialized tools to extract small screws