Streets of Rage 2 ported to PC by fans, features widescreen and online multiplayer support

1667935084534-png.336336

Following with the surge of retro games getting PC ports, this time the focus is on Streets of Rage 2, where a group of fans have created both a Windows and Mac ports of the game, without relying on any emulation and entirely reverse engineering the Sega classic, with the project being codenamed "Streets of Rage 2: New Era".

Not only that, but the developers have gone beyond just porting the game.
The game features 2 different modes, Classic, where you can play a faithful recreation of the game on PC/Mac, and 30th Anniversary Mode, where you can enjoy the game with a vast range of changes and QoL features, like widescreen, bugfixes and more fluid controls.
The creators have also added an online functionality to the port, in the form of multiplayer with up to 4 people playing at the same time.

The requirement to play the port is to get your official Streets of Rage 2 ROM, be it the user's dumped copy, or the recommended method by the devs, which is purchasing a copy of Streets of Rage 2 from Steam, with the ROM being included in the package and easily copied over for usage with the ports.

Streets of Rage 2: New Era Description said:
A fan-made port of Streets of Rage 2 to modern platforms.

We ported SOR2 manually via reverse engineering to create the best version of the game ever!
Use the full power of modern technologies without emulation.
Version 2.0 comes with:
  • Classic mode - a true recreation of the original game.
  • 30th Anniversary mode - an enhanced version of the game in widescreen, fluid controls and countless bugfixes.
  • Local and online multiplayer - up to 4 players.
  • Built-in speedrun time splits and game replays.
  • A couple surprises that you unlock by completing achievements.
Planned for next version is customization capabilities for you to create your own Streets of Rage game, with custom characters and levels in HD.

:arrow: Source

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unlike Nintendo which hates the community for porting their own titles, such as that one time with Super Mario 64 being directly ported to PC and many other consoles alike.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those games that I still to this day do not understand the hype surrounding it.

I've always considered FInal Fight to be the absolutely superior game, between the two. And the TMNT games are better than both.

And Violent Storm is better than any of those previously mentioned. I'd LOVE to see that one appear on an arcade collection of beat 'em ups.

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Final Fight will ever get as much love as the SOR remakes. Can you imagine SOR 4 gameplay with Final Fight 3 Special attacks and super meter?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When they say "countless bugfixes", are they implying the Genesis version was bug-ridden? Cause I never noticed any, to be honest.

@tpax it's Yuzo. And you're right, probably the greatest composer of the 16-bit era.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having played the original SOR 2 and the SOR Remake. Considering the new features added in this version, I’ll go out on a limb and say that the SOR Remake is the “Definitive” way to play. There are just so many features, from each edition in the series. If you really love the series, it’s be interesting to see what unlockable characters there are in this version. Play as Sanic? Lol

Panzerfaust

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If there is a game, I can consider my favourite game of all time, it's the original SoR2.
Got this game (and Mega Bomberman) together with a mega drive 2 as a kid on my 8th birthday and every year since then I finished it multiple times. What a masterpiece.

Looking forward to try this one

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
give use the remake with online. but still it's cool it's got online play.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And Violent Storm is better than any of those previously mentioned. I'd LOVE to see that one appear on an arcade collection of beat 'em ups.
With those words you won me over, you beautiful human being.

Violent Storm really is the quintessential experience.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW!! I’ve never heard of Violent Storm. It looks like a cross between Street Fighter and Streets of Rage. Both great games. Even the fact that Konami developed that game. It seems it was only in the arcade. My arcade didn’t have this game, I would’ve noticed. I’ll have to MAME this one up later. ;)

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it better than SOR remake?
That's a tough question. This game is more faithful to the original genesis/megadrive version. So basically, is just a "Enhanced" Street so of rage 2 and ONLY that ONE game. Streets of rage remake aims to bring the total package of content from all the games. All three genesis/megadrive games PLUS the Master System & game gear versions, with more features and content. New characters, gameplay changes, stages, story, etc.

If you just want a better version of Streets of Rage 2, then this game does the job from what I tried. (Or you can play one of the dozen mods found around the web or steam workshop) :P

If you want more than just Streets of Rage 2, then Streets of Rage Remake may be more appealing. (With more content and not leaving version of the game behind) :ninja:

When they say "countless bugfixes", are they implying the Genesis version was bug-ridden? Cause I never noticed any, to be honest.
Yes. A watch of a TAS Tool assisted Speedrun later, there is quite some bugs to behold. Besides the ones exploited by speedruns, there also just other things about it as well. I believe the youtube channel of the person responsible for this game's port has some videos showing off the bugs. There is bugs between all three games on the genesis/megadrive.

While personally, I don't know if it's a bug or not, the delay of movement after performing attacks was an hindrance. There is delay after hitting someone (Similar to Street Fighter) and after the character performs their attack animation. It mostly makes finding a proper rhythm for the combos a bit frustrating that wasn't in the first or third game. :ninja:

NOTE: To the people comparing various games with Streets of Rage 2. Yes, it's a popular game for many people who owned a Genesis/Megadrive. Probably in the same way how Final Fight or TMNT Turtles In Time may be popular to people who own a Super Nintendo. Having played all three, and don't think any are bad, I think Streets of Rage does come out on top. This is in terms of overall quality, but if I had to cherry pick things about them, that is a way different discussion that will change my mind on my decision :ninja:
Post automatically merged:

@ShadowOne333 Just a notice, if you wanted something more to show than just a picture, there was a trailer for this released. :P

:arrow:HERE :ninja:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1