Hardware Strange Wi-Fi issues

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my n3ds (Luma 9.0, bootstrap9, system version 11.6.0-39U) I'm having an issue where, in any homebrew app, after the first file transfer, the apps stop connecting to their servers. FBI won't connect to TitleDB or CDN, homebrew-launcher can't download the payload, etc. Nothing works. After the issues start, the 3DS struggles to maintain connection with the router in general, which seems to be why everything errors out. However, non-homebrew apps will not trigger this issue, despite being affected by it after it's triggered. I have to power cycle the 3DS to resolve the issue. It's not my router, as other 802.11b/g devices do not exhibit the issues.

Anyone know what to do?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my n3ds (Luma 9.0, bootstrap9, system version 11.6.0-39U) I'm having an issue where, in any homebrew app, after the first file transfer, the apps stop connecting to their servers. FBI won't connect to TitleDB or CDN, homebrew-launcher can't download the payload, etc. Nothing works. After the issues start, the 3DS struggles to maintain connection with the router in general, which seems to be why everything errors out. However, non-homebrew apps will not trigger this issue, despite being affected by it after it's triggered. I have to power cycle the 3DS to resolve the issue. It's not my router, as other 802.11b/g devices do not exhibit the issues.

Anyone know what to do?
Who is your service provider? If this is a new occurrence, bad news. Net Neutrality is officially dead, so it's not a surprise if ISP have started targeting your 3DS or certain sites as data hogs and decided to selectively restrict bandwidth. You can try seeing if you get problems when using Internet from a different provider to rule out problematic 3DS setup.

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is your service provider? If this is a new occurrence, bad news. Net Neutrality is officially dead, so it's not a surprise if ISP have started targeting your 3DS or certain sites as data hogs and decided to selectively restrict bandwidth. You can try seeing if you get problems when using Internet from a different provider to rule out problematic 3DS setup.
Yeah, i'm aware. (Shame the EU's under attack now...) It started last month, so I don't think it was that, considering the new anti-NN rules only came into effect like this week.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i'm aware. (Shame the EU's under attack now...) It started last month, so I don't think it was that, considering the new anti-NN rules only came into effect like this week.

I've re-read your post in case I missed any details.

TitleDB.com doesn't work with FBI due to GitHub dropping support for TLSv1.1 several months ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7ui7fq/titledb_and_github_what_will_break_and_what_will/

You don't happen to be using the cia version of Homebrew Launcher? Current version transitioned with Luma CFW Rosalina Menu injector. There's a way to keep using HBL with its dedicated HOME Menu icon.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-channel-cia-shotcut-on-11-6-039-b9s.503566/

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've re-read your post in case I missed any details.

TitleDB.com doesn't work with FBI due to GitHub dropping support for TLSv1.1 several months ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7ui7fq/titledb_and_github_what_will_break_and_what_will/

You don't happen to be using the cia version of Homebrew Launcher? Current version transitioned with Luma CFW Rosalina Menu injector. There's a way to keep using HBL with its dedicated HOME Menu icon.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-channel-cia-shotcut-on-11-6-039-b9s.503566/
I am using the CIA, yeah. and TitleDB works in spurts.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the CIA, yeah. and TitleDB works in spurts.

The issue with homebrew app installs and updates by QR scan through TitleDB.com you can't do much about.

For Homebrew Launcher itself, you can keep your current cia and inject the boot.3dsx version into it or one of the system apps.

Instructions under Rosalina menu > Miscellaneous options
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Rosalina

The HBL's boot.3dsx you put in the SD root
https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases

[Video Tutorial] How to Inject Homebrew Into Official App - Stealth Homebrew w/ Rosalina Menu
* skip to the 1 min & 29 sec mark to get the steps

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue with homebrew app installs and updates by QR scan through TitleDB.com you can't do much about.

For Homebrew Launcher itself, you can keep your current cia and inject the boot.3dsx version into it or one of the system apps.

Instructions under Rosalina menu > Miscellaneous options
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Rosalina

The HBL's boot.3dsx you put in the SD root
https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases

[Video Tutorial] How to Inject Homebrew Into Official App - Stealth Homebrew w/ Rosalina Menu
* skip to the 1 min & 29 sec mark to get the steps
I have it injected in the 3DS Music app which is what I use, but I have the CIA version too.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. No it doesn't. The injected version still triggers the issues and still fails afterward.

Do you have a spare SD card to test out a bare bone CFW setup, preferably the original 4GB micro card that came with N3DS? You wouldn't happen to have upgraded to a new, larger capacity card when the problem started cropping up?

The Internet vs CFW setup, who's at Fault Test

1. With a blank SD card, reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB. Use guiformat if card capacity is larger than 32GB.
2. Extract, drag, and drop all files onto SD root: CFW starter kit.zip
3. Select “Show NAND or user string in System Settings” in Luma3DS configuration menu.
4. Follow Sections III through Sections VIII: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup
5. Test out functionalities with your Internet. If it's still problematic, use a different Internet source at a buddy's house or public Starbucks/McDonald hotspot to rule out a bad CFW setup.
6. If Internet issues are persistent on bare bones CFW setup, see if boot9strap needs to be updated to v1.3
7. Back up your normal CFW build found on your main SD card. Reformatted the card and do a H2testw full write + verify test while it is empty to check for physical flaws.

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a spare SD card to test out a bare bone CFW setup, preferably the original 4GB micro card that came with N3DS? You wouldn't happen to have upgraded to a new, larger capacity card when the problem started cropping up?

The Internet vs CFW setup, who's at Fault Test

1. With a blank SD card, reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB. Use guiformat if card capacity is larger than 32GB.
2. Extract, drag, and drop all files onto SD root: CFW starter kit.zip
3. Select “Show NAND or user string in System Settings” in Luma3DS configuration menu.
4. Follow Sections III through Sections VIII: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup
5. Test out functionalities with your Internet. If it's still problematic, use a different Internet source at a buddy's house or public Starbucks/McDonald hotspot to rule out a bad CFW setup.
6. If Internet issues are persistent on bare bones CFW setup, see if boot9strap needs to be updated to v1.3
7. Back up your normal CFW build found on your main SD card. Reformatted the card and do a H2testw full write + verify test while it is empty to check for physical flaws.
I got it second-hand without the original card, but I was using my own 4GB card for a while and it still happened there when I had a freshly-hacked N3DS. (They happened on rare occasion in games BEFORE I hacked it, too.) The problems are less frequent on other networks, but still do persist.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it second-hand without the original card, but I was using my own 4GB card for a while and it still happened there when I had a freshly-hacked N3DS. (They happened on rare occasion in games BEFORE I hacked it, too.) The problems are less frequent on other networks, but still do persist.

You got any fellow, close by CFW 3DS buddies willing to temporary lend you one of their systems? Without having a 2nd hacked 3DS/2DS as a reference for cross comparison in how yours behaves versus theirs when subjected to similar Internet activities, the best assessment I give you at this moment is that your N3DS is a dud either from the onset at the factories or the previous owner(s) prematurely degraded the WiFi component from heavy duty online gaming.

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got any fellow, close by CFW 3DS buddies willing to temporary lend you one of their systems? Without having a 2nd hacked 3DS/2DS as a reference for cross comparison in how yours behaves versus theirs when subjected to similar Internet activities, the best assessment I give you at this moment is that your N3DS is a dud either from the onset at the factories or the previous owner(s) prematurely degraded the WiFi component from heavy duty online gaming.
I've met up with other hacked n3ds users before and theirs don't have the problems on the same network as mine. I am starting to think it's a hardware issue, yeah.

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating to 11.7.0 fixed all my issues. All of them. Even TitleDB works flawlessly now, which is strange as the client was only half the problem...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment