Hacking Strange issue w/ GC Backup Launcher 0.2

Komak57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've looked everywhere for the past few days accumulating a great span of knowledge on the Wii modding scene.
[Initial Processes]
I started with a 4.1 (OE) wii and used an SD to load and install bootmii using the bannerbomb method to get it to 4.1U
I then proceeded to install homebrew apps (such as Wii64) which worked, but were vastly underdeveloped. Somewhere in the mist of all of my downloading and testing, i ended up an attempt at a downgrade using: http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...mp;p=9923#p9923 - which didn't change my actual firmware version.
After some more searching i located GC Backup Launcher 0.1 and 0.2 and decided to give it a whirl.
I burned Super Mario Sunshine [PAL] using Alcohol 120% at 4x speed and a Sony DVD-R.

[Problem]
Upon booting GC Backup Launcher, it would first show the Green 'G' logo for a second or so, flash the screen black (for an un-calculable time) and brought up the Grey 'G' logo with some instructions. The first thing i noticed was that there was a strange bar at the bottom that looked like the screen had 'folded' at the bottom. The television is a RCA Colortrak plus (42') CRT capable of a/v cable and s-video (with spare audio set). Everything at the lower end of the screen (estimated 1-1.5 inch on a normal screen view) is compressed and unviewable. I tried booting in all screen methods (PAL, PAL60, NTSC, and 480p) as well as Auto, Patched, and Reloader. Some options (such as Reloader) would cause a graphics glitch and freeze, or crash and reboot. Regardless of which video method i chose, the outcome was always the same video. To equate, Super Mario Sunshine's Save-selection screen (in which you can control Mario to hit the save block) is missing the bulk of Mario. All from the bottom of his hat to the bottom of the screen is unviewable (a small white bar where the screen looks like it 'folds').

At first i thought that maybe it was because it was an incompatible game, but lists say otherwise... I even tried downloading the US version and combining the 2 on a multi-disc. All outcomes were the same. After some troubled searching, i decided to try the Neo Gamma R7 (came with the downgrade guide listed above). This app booted fine, and all the options worked without a problem. (i don't have the gekko memory unit so i pressed B to boot). When i ran the app with the default settings, the same error occurred. Attempting to cure the issue, i decided that it was probably the video output method. I went through every 'Force Video' option and came across a realization. Only PAL576i (and i think MPAL480i) will actually SHOW video. All other methods boot audio, but the screen stays at 'no signal'. Rebooter doesn't load in NeoGamma (cannot load menu error).

[Downgrading]
Now i was pissed... Perhaps it was a problem with my firmware. I used this guide:
Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiHK4-LNlA
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNfXZoQCao...feature=related
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZhqbFSOjc...feature=related

This guide (and tool set) successfully downgraded my wii (with the exclusion of Install Shop IOS51, which error'ed while installing). This brought my firmware to 3.2U and my cIOSrev to 4. I repatched gcbackuplauncher using the packaged MOIS patcher to v5 w/ gcbackuplauncher + Wii backup loader. NeoGamma told my my rev was too low, and it might not work (tried anyways and it was right). i re-updated (using the first guides tool set) and just ran the cIOSrev14installer. Then patched MOIS for v5 again. The result came back with the same problem i was having before. Folding screen after initial boot screen (green 'G') that cuts off the bottom part of the image.

[Partial success(es?)]
Running GC Backup Launcher 0.1t did NOT have this screen problem, but wouldn't load the game video (only audio) regardless of the settings.
Running Zelda Wind Waker[PAL] came out the same as well.

[Pictures (rar)]
http://www.2shared.com/file/8213424/484858...creenshots.html

Any other suggestions or solutions?
---------------------------
Ive already softmodded an Xbox (orig), DS, PSP, Wii(?)
Repaired 1 GC, 3 PS2's, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Xbox's, 2 NDS, 1 GBA SP
Hard Modded 1 Xbox (orig), 1 NDS, 1 GBA SP
Well diversed in C++, Linux, VB, VC++
Can translate any pseudo type languages

Komak57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried MIOS on v4,5, and 8 with and without the additional option (x)...
I've run this off the SD, the Channels (using a WAD), and through NeoGamma

All outcomes were the same.

Note that if i boot without a disc, the screen is fine, but errors saying i need a disc. On insertion, it says Disc Change Error.

[E*][Note] The screen is indeed mostly black and white with faded colors, but other guides didnt solve this.

Komak57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Update]
It appears that GC Backup Launcher 0.2 (as well as Gamma's version) is either incorrectly reading my backups, or my backups are faulty (tried 2 versions so i cant be sure). I recently decided to try another backup (Battle Stadium DON[JAP]) to see what would happen and the screen error doesnt occur. Any reason this would work for [J] games and not or PAL type games? Again, my version is 3.2U downgraded from 4.1U through the bootmii process.

Komak57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Update]
For those that are surfing and came across this post either because you were interested, or because you thought you could help, this is for you.

As most of you should know, every nintendo wii reacts differently to homebrew. The error i recieved is actually the same as the other posts known as 'game is black and white'. My wii however, instead of being scaled properly while being black and white, swaps video in a slightly different manner. If you come across this error, it is because the game you tried to boot (only happens on NGCB for some reason) was PAL, or RGB compatible, and you were trying to play it on an A/V compatible telivision. I have yet to see if running the wii using RGB cables should happen to fix this. Anyone whos willing to give it a try, Gamestop has an off-brand universal that has both A/V and RGB for Wii/360/ps3 consoles.

Terms used:
A/V - Audio/Video, also known as the Yellow white red cable.
RGB - Red Green Blue, technically high-def, but its just a different method of displaying the video
NGCB - Nintendo Gamecube Backup(s)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...