Strange DS issue [File system related]

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by unpaiktable, Dec 29, 2009.

Dec 29, 2009
  1. unpaiktable
    OP

Newcomer unpaiktable Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all and merry xmas!

I have a SCDSONE(SDHC) and lately I'm using it mostly to play some nice homebrew games on the DS. Last night, my DS decided to stop reading the files on the microSD card, but only after I've loaded an application. In other words, the menu starts up nicely, I can fire up games and apps but when it comes to loading rom files, savegames etc from within the applications, it sees nothing - no directory structures at all. The files are all there, it's just that they can't be read for some reason. The only error message I got was from "Colors!" which said "EFSlib could not be initialized".

Any ideas on what might have happened?
    Thanks

2. WioWao

Member WioWao GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    Backup all your files in a folder on your PC or something.

Format your SD card with this program here : http://filetrip.net/f3618-SDFormatter-Version-2-0-0-3.html

Put back on all your files.

I am no expert at filesystems and stuff [​IMG] But it can get a little messed up. Im pretty sure this will fix it ^^

3. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Chances are Colors corrupted your card. It's always a good idea to keep backups in case something happens.

4. unpaiktable
    OP

Newcomer unpaiktable Member

United Kingdom
    hey guys, thanks for your replies!

Hmm... the strange thing about this is that the card is perfectly readable on my computer and all the games work fine, except when you need to load a file from within an app (initialization on DSorganise, rom files on various Emulators, savegames, etc).

5. picketf

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    When I load up Sakura M3 I get to see chunks of lost data then and again upon booting it.
    I think Moonshell's Image Viewer App is the most rigorous App on this; it will hang if a single byte is not at the right place.

If you have homebrew in one folder then chances are the whole directory got corrupted

Using homebrew corruption is very common!! Colors! once whiped my entire card, Bunjallow will mess up the cached files if you shut off your DS while it's loading and in SnemulDS keep away from SRAM hacks (like the ice hack in Secret of Mana) it will whipe your entire card! Good thing there is ZAR when this happens. Still it takes around 10 mins to recover 2 GB of data even on a SDHC.

The main problem are the FAT libs (or rather undocumented devices)
    but again if the EFS of a homebrew can't be read where it could be read before it's most certainly file corruption. File corruption doesn't need to affect the whole card, that's why your games still work

6. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Thanks for the detailed explanation!