Hacking Stop CDN downloading.

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That would be entirely evil of you, since you would 100% ban the next owner by continuing to use the certificate of the returned Switch. It would be possible, but seriously sickening to me if you or anyone else ended up doing that.

Yeah I mean that's why I said in theory ;) but you could also contact Nintendo and tell them you bought this console online and it was banned from the start.. so what does Nintendo do? Just say you are fucked? Will they unban you?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I mean that's why I said in theory ;) but you could also contact Nintendo and tell them you bought this console online and it was banned from the start.. so what does Nintendo do? Just say you are fucked? Will they unban you?
I don't know what Nintendo will do here but Microsoft generally refused to do anything for end users when similar things happened for the 360 -- no point in banning people if it only takes a phone call to unban it.

I don't know if they have special routes in place for the likes of the big game shops, almost certainly nothing for the people on the shop floor* (maybe in their headquarters/proper service locations)

*we never heard of anything and given people in game shops are also commonly the people to provide games for scene releases (if it arrives in your stock room 10 days ahead of release...) and no small number of people on forums like this then yeah.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sickened by the action or by the fact that Nintendo's ineptitude allowed it? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Not everyone in the world visits this forum or others discussing hacking, so yes it is sickening if it happens. I don't think Nintendo is being inept here, they are protecting their IP in a very good way. Being able to revoke a certificate of a console as they deem fit is very good practice for malicious behavior. The "game" or intent of banning a console for it's next owner is outright foul.

For Example, say this does happen. Guy buys a switch and dumps the cert, puts it back on the shelf and uses CDN religiously because "muh free gamez". Next guy picks up the switch, hooks it up online no problem, has NNID, dumps $1000 (again, example) in all digital games and online subscription system, BOOM, next ban wave hits. He calls Nintendo, finds out he's banned for an "unknown to him" reason. He can't buy new games, can't play online, can't get new Splatoon or ARMS, or Smash DLC to enjoy it when it comes out. His NNID and console are worthless (aside from already installed content) because he can't transfer his NNID to a new console - eShop or call to Nintendo required, and do you think they'll allow a banned console account to xfer? Who knows right now, but probably not.

But seriously, if it's you would you want that to happen to you? Who else wants that to happen to them? I don't think anyone that isn't expecting it to happen. What if it's your kid you bought a console for that this happened to? You'd end up dumping another $1000 (going back to the example) in a second console and all of the games they previously had because your kid would be crying their head off, and you'd be furious at Nintendo when really you should be furious at the asshole that dumped the cert and used it without you knowing.

Last edited by Maximilious,
Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"You'd end up dumping another $1000 (going back to the example) in a second console and all of the games they previously had because your kid would be crying their head off"
In the unlikely event that I have a kid I truly hope they will never end up that spoiled. I would use that as an opportunity to show how the world is unfair, how buying downloadable games is just renting them, and to get used to it. Also if I was me I would care even less about pirating the lot to restore them.

Anyway this is less of a hypothetical and something that already happened and continues to happen on multiple other systems at multiple levels, the world over.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't get to that.

Second hand devices are often far cheaper, possibly even cheaper than that if they have a fix you can do that the average "I just about changed my battery" type would balk at, may have desirable functionality that is not common any more and otherwise be useful where it might have sat in a rubbish tip otherwise.

If you are going to play in a world where said devices are subject to online or other network revocation then you take that risk by dipping in the second hand world, the extent of that varies* but to go to never doing it is way too far.

*part 1 if you wanted that.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it was half hyperbole (guess I should have made that more clear). Not to mention the chances of buying a Switch like that are pretty astronomical. Heck, I bought a used Wii U off of Amazon and instead of Nintendo Land, it came with Super Mario 3D World. Now THAT is an upgrade.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone in the world visits this forum or others discussing hacking, so yes it is sickening if it happens. I don't think Nintendo is being inept here, they are protecting their IP in a very good way. Being able to revoke a certificate of a console as they deem fit is very good practice for malicious behavior. The "game" or intent of banning a console for it's next owner is outright foul.

For Example, say this does happen. Guy buys a switch and dumps the cert, puts it back on the shelf and uses CDN religiously because "muh free gamez". Next guy picks up the switch, hooks it up online no problem, has NNID, dumps $1000 (again, example) in all digital games and online subscription system, BOOM, next ban wave hits. He calls Nintendo, finds out he's banned for an "unknown to him" reason. He can't buy new games, can't play online, can't get new Splatoon or ARMS, or Smash DLC to enjoy it when it comes out. His NNID and console are worthless (aside from already installed content) because he can't transfer his NNID to a new console - eShop or call to Nintendo required, and do you think they'll allow a banned console account to xfer? Who knows right now, but probably not.

But seriously, if it's you would you want that to happen to you? Who else wants that to happen to them? I don't think anyone that isn't expecting it to happen. What if it's your kid you bought a console for that this happened to? You'd end up dumping another $1000 (going back to the example) in a second console and all of the games they previously had because your kid would be crying their head off, and you'd be furious at Nintendo when really you should be furious at the asshole that dumped the cert and used it without you knowing.
Physical copies of games still exist, and why would anyone sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into a console buy pre-owned? One also can't get free games from the CDN as of now, just ones they've already purchased.These are non-issues that don't make for a good argument.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical copies of games still exist, and why would anyone sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into a console buy pre-owned? One also can't get free games from the CDN as of now, just ones they've already purchased.These are non-issues that don't make for a good argument.

Who says these consoles can't be returned to Target, Walmart, or any other major retailer where potential hackers know the certificate will be completely valid on first purchase from a NIB console?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Who says these consoles can't be returned to Target, Walmart, or any other major retailer where potential hackers know the certificate will be completely valid on first purchase from a NIB console?
You've never worked retail, have you? Returned electronics aren't just stuck back on the shelf like that. They're typically sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbed.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: lilpataya

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reason to use cdn for txo purposes as you can just download warez instead on that website.

I really got to learn the difference between 'reply' and 'like', lol.

I was doing research on the 3ds and I imagine N's licking their lips waiting for that dongle to drop to test their new OblivionBanHammerTimeApparatus. I have been lmfao all day!!!

Ignoring the early Pokemon playing thing, they were plucking away at users who were online with the same games with the same headers at the same time. Also, the 3ds games needed those slips to get the points, but the Switch games are coded to know when they're redeemed. I can't imagine what they came up with after all those years of trials. I won't be surprised if, even, updating the games would cause a ban, especially since the cluster of clones may be online together doing it. Way too many with the same 'serial numbers' or whatever are probably going to dive in the shark infested trenches at the same time. New company pres on a mission, too.

Strange how N unbanned some 3ds/s out of the blue, though, and ridiculous how users unbanned their own WiiU/s and 3ds/s, lmao.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CDN is what gives you content and stuff. If you go to the eShop and buy/download a game normally, that's making a request to the CDN to make it give you content.

But there's the stuff the switch sends first so the CDN (or according to the reddit post @gameboy linked, something that comes before it) knows that "oh this thing is allowed to have content".

That's downloading from the CDN. That's fine!

But if we send the switch's stuff from another device, like our computer, and get the content that way, it's bad.

...yay writing smartass posts at 10:54 PM

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....That sounds like saying "Hammering this rock in Paper Mario 1937 times will crash your GameBoy, even though Paper Mario is an n64 game"

jokes aside, I have no clue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb