meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
FiReFoX_7 said:
KingdomBlade said:
Why is this in the Review section?
"GBAtemp Reviews and Guides"

This is a guide, y'know?

This section is made for user submitted reviews, official temp reviews and official temp tutorials. Why would there be tutorials and faqs sections if this was meant to be posted here?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
KingdomBlade said:
FiReFoX_7 said:
KingdomBlade said:

This is a guide, y'know?

This section is made for user submitted reviews, official temp reviews and official temp tutorials. Why would there be tutorials and faqs sections if this was meant to be posted here?
Tutorials are something that give you the information to complete a certain task, this is a GUIDE not a TUTORIAL, thus posted in this section, which is right and not that which is wrong.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
KingdomBlade said:
FiReFoX_7 said:
KingdomBlade said:

This is a guide, y'know?

Tutorials are something that give you the information to complete a certain task, this is a GUIDE not a TUTORIAL, thus posted in this section, which is right and not that which is wrong.
I'm pretty sure this is meant to be a section exclusively for user-submitted reviews. If it was intended for guides, you'd think we should have seen at least one of them in this section besides this. In general terms, a tutorial is considered a guide and vice versa. For example:
Guide to writing guides
If this was applied, then this should be in this section.

Quoted from Costello:
What kind of tutorial should you write? That is a good question and this is why we thought we'd give you directions.
Beginner's guides: guides that use simple words and screenshots to describe subjects that seem simple to you, but that might appear knotty for the average joe.
HowTo's: detailed guides that answer a particular question or describe a specific operation.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions. Those guides are focused on answering questions that people usually ask about a subject.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I just read the first post and it was pretty useful. I also LOL'd at the Twilight ruined the vampires-thing. I'm writing a story for a contest right now, and I know these tips will come useful. Thanks!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MigueelDnd said:
Wow. I just read the first post and it was pretty useful. I also LOL'd at the Twilight ruined the vampires-thing. I'm writing a story for a contest right now, and I know these tips will come useful. Thanks!
Glad it helped you.
smile.gif

Also, I guess this is technically the right place, but I really wanted it in the competition section. I doubt it will get the recognition is needs here.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys, I'm stuck in my story after writing a long-ass Chapter 6 (it went like 11k+ words according to MS Word, the first 5 Chapters made like 14k words total, LOL) so it might be that, or it might be coz football ("soccer") season's ending, but I've no clue bout Chapter 7
frown.gif
yet. I'm just doing editing right now, prob put in an interlude chapter to give the story a break/some clarification and let me set Chapter 7 up after it falls outta the sky (that's how my ideas show up, LOL).

Anyway, just in case, maybe you guys might wanna extend a helping hand? What's the worst form of Greed you know? Coz that's my Chapter 7 (props if you can identify my storyline from that question). Anyways, props to Sterling again. Guys, keep writing.

ph34r.gif

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
Guys, I'm stuck in my story after writing a long-ass Chapter 6 (it went like 11k+ words according to MS Word, the first 5 Chapters made like 14k words total, LOL) so it might be that, or it might be coz football ("soccer") season's ending, but I've no clue bout Chapter 7
frown.gif
yet. I'm just doing editing right now, prob put in an interlude chapter to give the story a break/some clarification and let me set Chapter 7 up after it falls outta the sky (that's how my ideas show up, LOL).

Anyway, just in case, maybe you guys might wanna extend a helping hand? What's the worst form of Greed you know? Coz that's my Chapter 7 (props if you can identify my storyline from that question). Anyways, props to Sterling again. Guys, keep writing.

ph34r.gif
Worst form of greed? Using someone else's rights or belongings in order to provide for yourself. Like excessively using your parent's credit cards, eating someone else's food without asking, or (on a larger scale) companies using your money to extend their own power.

I'll probably write a short or maybe just a sketch in a while. Just looking for inspiration in music.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
Shinigami357 said:
frown.gif

ph34r.gif
Worst form of greed? Using someone else's rights or belongings in order to provide for yourself. Like excessively using your parent's credit cards, eating someone else's food without asking, or (on a larger scale) companies using your money to extend their own power.

I'll probably write a short or maybe just a sketch in a while. Just looking for inspiration in music.

I think that just cracked it. I was looking at it one way, I forgot to turn around and look at it from another angle... Hmmm, thanks!

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, I'm back for tip number... Uh, 7, right?

[7] Dissect your setting - Your setting is the story's backbone and background, at the same time. This tip focuses on the "where" aspect of the setting.

To my knowledge, most stories are either plot- or character-centric, or a combination of both, though this masks with extreme subtlety the importance of the settings. If you dig deeper, whatever the focus of the story is, its setting dictate a lot of the story as it goes.

Allow me to give three examples.

- Anyone who has read all 7 Harry Potters know that through the 7 books [not counting the spin-off books like The Tales of Beedle the Bard] almost all the aspects of the story and the backstory connect to, well, Harry Potter. I won't elaborate, so as not to spoil it. Anyway, throughout the books, the twists and turns brings Harry and pals back to Hogwarts; even in the beginning of the main storyline, Harry starts off just before he goes to Hogwarts, and it ends as he sends his children there.

- Similarly, any Dark Tower fan [again, not counting the myriad of existing and future connections to other SK works] knows that the story is about the quest, more than Roland himself. But the quest itself is centered on the Dark Tower itself.

Before any rabid DT fans gnaw my head off, yes, I know that the majority of the setting is from mid-world and onward or the various versions of NY. But, think about it, NY holds "the rose" which is heavily connected to the Tower and Roland, after a fashion, journeys through mid-world and beyond on the beam, which is a direct path to the Tower.

- Lastly, all Hunger Games fans essentially understand that the focus is split on its heroine Katniss [it's actually told in first-person], and her continued quest to survive and potentially end the Hunger Games. Still, it's the dystopian and militaristic world of Panem that gives the story its bite; it's the land that sustains them, and yet the majority of them are naught but disposable slaves in it.

So, what do I mean when I say dissect the setting? It's easy, just dig into it, and fit your story into it. It's not the focus, and it doesn't have to be, but whatever the focus of the story is, if it fits the setting, the story gains more depth. It's probably why some stories are said to have characters or plots that fit seamlessly with the settings.

ph34r.gif

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been going on and on about symbols for the past half-hour, and then, of course, it hits me. So, without further ado...

[8] Symbolism - Stories are abound with symbols. After all, if we were to write stories that are purely literal narrations, then more than half the fun, art, and meaning would be lost. This is part of what makes prose such a vibrant and ever-evolving thing. Again, to start off with, let me list out a few examples in well-known and contemporary fiction that some of us should be familiar with. I won't even explain them - if you know a particular symbol, you know what it stands for [the basics, at least]. And that's the beauty of it.

LotR [the grandaddy of them all] - Frodo "the ringbearer"; The one ring; Gandalf the grey → Gandalf the white; The fellowship of the ring etc.
HP [7 books] - Harry himself aka "The boy who lived"; The order of the Phoenix; The Deathly Hallows etc. [the series is loaded with them, actually, LOL]
DT - Roland "The last gunslinger"; Roland, his ka-tet and their fathers before them are referred to as "the white"; The Dark Tower itself etc.
the Hunger Games - Katniss "The girl who was on fire"/"The mockingjay"; Panem [though it's more a literal symbolism than anything]; The Hunger Games themselves etc.

Also, drawing from Sterling's example in the front page [Medieval], look at the second bullet on the list beneath it: it says "what does it mean to you", and in this case, Medieval is clearly not just a time period, but a symbol for what it entails as well. So it is now a setting and also a source for the plot itself as well

Within a story, a symbol can be anything. It's sometimes imbedded as an integral part of the storyline. Person, place, thing, event, ideals, as long as it makes sense and evokes the idea attached to it, it can be a plausible symbol. As far as I can tell, symbols in stories have to do 2 things:
First, they have to stay true to their attached meanings as much as possible.
Second, they have to persist throughout the narrative and attach themselves to the reader.

Again, this is not to say that some your symbols should be pre-established or anything. Sometimes one just evolves along with the story [I should know this well. The character I'm working on shifted from "girl doing a job" to "vengeful spirit with a mission"], other times, it's just a natural part of it [for example, if a character dies, it can symbolize defeat, the loss of the ideals the character stood for, etc]. As long as they're integrated without having to force the storyline, a symbol can add further depth to a story. In fact, some stories are remembered by its symbols.

One more thing. In some rare cases, a story can be centered around a symbol, and sometimes it doesn't even have to be in the story. I don't have a specific example, but most sci-fi stories from the decades past were symbols of man's need to learn and do more, and in fact, some of them foreshadowed things that we know/are able to do now. They say early mythologies were man's way of explaining nature and natural occurrences like death and sickness, etc and that the Gods are symbols of how we needed to explain what is happening around us.

Hope this helps a little.

PS
Also, be careful of your symbolism, lest you end up a la The Da Vinci Code, which was bashed by the church.

[if I get lucky and this ends up in the first post, don't include this part]
NOTE: If my examples are getting repetitive, pardon me. I can only add in what I know, and the stories I draw examples from are the ones I know well. You're free to add you own examples. Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww, man! I could've used this guide to write my 1 page (front and back) short story that I had to completely memorize and present 3 days ago.

Good to know that there's a guide like this here and thanks for it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Awww, man! I could've used this guide to write my 1 page (front and back) short story that I had to completely memorize and present 3 days ago.

Good to know that there's a guide like this here and thanks for it.
You're welcome. Feel free to use it in the future.
smile.gif

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is technically tip [9] but I probably have to split it up.

So...

[9] Characters - Characters matter. You could have a perfect storyline, settings, plot progression/pacing, the best grasp of the language, and your story would fail without the proper character(s).

This part is just to determine the validity of the character as an integral part of the story, and my idea of how a main character is made.

...​

In the words of the immortal Shakespeare:
QUOTE said:
All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players

Yes, I am aware that he meant it as a metaphor of sorts regarding life. But it rings true in this instance anyway. It just happens that in this particular instance, we create the stage, and by virtue, we must create the players in it, as well.

A story cannot function if there is no life in it - literally, for the purposes of this tip. One can only do so much with a setting, and the story is - literally - empty if there's no one moving in it. Even the most plot-centric tales ever woven had memorable characters.

Again with Shakespeare, I'm sure everyone recognizes Romeo and Juliet. Again, Romeo and Juliet, but the play, in its roots, is a tragedy. Star-crossed lovers put in an impossible situation: love or family loyalty. The whole thing is a message wrapped up with a love story as its main catalyst.

Now, I'm not going to spoil the ending for those who still don't know it, but everyone else knows how it ends, and for all intents and purposes, understands the message there, whatever their personal take on it may be. But, think about it, when people say Romeo and Juliet, they see the balcony scene, they remember Romeo making a promise in the moon's name and then Juliet telling him not to do so, they even remember that penultimate scene and its aftermath. They remember two [fictional] people deeply in love. Why?

Simply put, the characters defined the story, despite its strong plot/message. Consider, if the pair were not born as members of the Capulets and Montagues, just somehow caught up in the whole familial rivalry stuff, the story would be half as effective. They're not even the most clearly-defined characters - just a boy and a girl in love. They don't even get the best possible ending. And yet they're almost [not quite sure, but it must be close] the measuring stick for a literary love story. Why?

I can't tell you. Some characters are just like that. And that's why they matter.

...​

Okay, enough with the fancy literary mumbo-jumbo. First things first - a character that is forced, however good, will never measure up to a character that was built up, evolving and becoming a part of the overall story [IMHO]. Make your character, make him/her/it [some characters don't need genders, right?] yours, care for them, but be ready to kill them off at a moment's notice [more on this much, much later].

Characters can be conveniently [if not easily] categorized as main characters and supporting characters. There's a wide spectrum in between - and sometimes, outside - these two boundaries, but to put it simply, a character is either one or the other. And so far, I've mostly been discussing main characters, which is what most people latch on to, and while it may be unfair to the other characters, the main characters are always going to be the focus [other than the occasional weird nobody that somehow gets a cult following].

The first thing a writer needs to make a character is knowing what kinds of characters he likes. I think we've stressed enough that writers all start as readers, and as humans with feelings and opinions, it's only natural that they will like one kind of character more than the others. This is important.

Since I've no better example, let's take what my favorite kind of character is into scrutiny. Now, not all the characters I like are from written works, but there's a general profile for them. I'll list some:
L [Death Note] [manga/anime]
Enma Ai [Jigoku Shoujo] [anime]
Hit-Girl/Mindy Macready [Kick-ass] [comics/movie]
Hannibal Lecter [most famous for Silence of the Lambs] [books/movies]

That's all I can think of at the top of my head [it's a quarter to 5AM here when I started this]. Anyway...

What's the common denominator? 2 of them are way too smart; 3 can kill someone without blinking; at least 2 have conflicted pasts. But these aren't it. The common denominator is: they do what they do because they want/have to.

L says it isn't Justice - he just likes solving the puzzle
Ai has long since finished her revenge, she's just tied down as jigoku shoujo
Hit-girl does the whole costumed vigilante bit because it's what she was trained to do
Hannibal... Well, I wouldn't even try to explain how that character's mind goes...

That's it: I like characters who do what they do, won't apologize for it, because, simply put, it's what they do. The kind of characters who won't be the same if they weren't doing what they do [I hope that wasn't confusing]. Characters who define what they do, and vice-versa. As much as I go on about Harry Potter, and Katniss Everdeen, etc etc et al they're not really my kind of character. At least not exactly.

So, if you can find the character type you like, here are the next questions: do you want to create this kind of character? can you?

That's the most important thing. You'll never fully create a character if you don't want to, and especially not if you can't even do it in the first place. You'll just set yourself back. Like I said, a character that is forced will never be as good as he/she/it could be.

If the answer to both questions is yes, then go ahead. If the answer to the first question is no, then determine what kind of character you want to make. If the answer to the second question is no, then it's only a matter of practice. Once you've settled around to the point where you can answer yes to both questions [if you didn't already in the beginning] then you should be fine making a character.

Now, back to the earlier example: I do want to create a character like that. And so far, I'm succeeding [I think], so I think I can do it. And so, as much as possible, the template for most [if not all] my main characters is like that - someone who does something because he/she/it wants/has to. Obviously, all of them are different, in accordance to their stories, and the genre, and other factors, but that's their root, so to speak.

In general, when you've found out the character you want to make, and you've determined that you can make one, you'll always make your protagonist first. This is natural, and in terms of fiction, it's almost always the way to go. After all, the story being written is all about that protagonist, so one way or the other, the protagonist has to be the first character created for the purpose of making the story fit the character and vice-versa.

Of course, later on, you'll start making characters that don't fit that mold. You might even stop using the mold altogether. That's fine, and in all honesty, it should be expected. It just means you've found a different type of character you want to make, and more importantly, you can make such a character.

And that's part 1. I'll get my thoughts around to finishing part 2, which should be more about protagonists [yea, I'm not done with those yet], antagonists, the supporting characters and their interactions, etc etc et al. Hope y'all liked them Shakespeare references, LOL.

EDIT: Damn, I might have made it too long...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update. The OP has been completely redone again. I tried to clarify as much as possible and make things a bit more simple. I'm sure I'll find the time to consolidate the tips posted by Shinigami357 sometime in the future.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1