Hacking Suggestion Steam in Switch

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since the Switch open the gates to Linux execution I have been thinking in the following: if the Switch can run ARM Linux, and the Steam Link is basically an ARM stream device running Linux... And the Switch has a better processor and more RAM... Can't we transform a Nintendo Switch into a portable Steam Link with an incorporated screen? :unsure:

Hint: we have a root shell in Steam Link using ssh with user root and password steamlink

Last edited by realjumy,

NekoNoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Last edited by NekoNoor,
Reactions: realjumy

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is the Steamlink videogame streaming protocol open?
Technically it would be possible... but aren't streaming alternatives already available with the current Linux builds?
Wasn't even Rainway hinted for the Switch as an official app sometime in the future?

PS: In the other hand, the Steamlink usually sells for 5€ here on sales... I don't see a reason not to use an actual Steamlink if you are into that kind of thing.

Reactions: GizmoTheGreen

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the Steamlink videogame streaming protocol open?
Technically it would be possible... but aren't streaming alternatives already available with the current Linux builds?
Wasn't even Rainway hinted for the Switch as an official app sometime in the future?

PS: In the other hand, the Steamlink usually sells for 5€ here on sales... I don't see a reason not to use an actual Steamlink if you are into that kind of thing.

Basically I want to play PC games from the sofa while my gf is watching TV...

Steam is x86. The Switch is ARM...
I'm talking about Steam Link, which basically streams Steam Games from the PC.

Last edited by realjumy,
Reactions: Technicmaster0

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm talking about Steam Link, which basically streams Steam Games from the PC.

If you have Linux running.. can't you just install Steam for Linux and run Inhome-Streaming ?
You can stream every game to linux via inhome streaming.. (win & linux games)..
All you need is a stable & fast LAN/wLAN connection..

._.

NekoNoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you have Linux running.. can't you just install Steam for Linux and run Inhome-Streaming ?
You can stream every game to linux via inhome streaming.. (win & linux games)..
All you need is a stable & fast LAN/wLAN connection..

._.
steam doesnt work on arm platforms

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I recall, the Rainway app was never confirmed for switch. More of a hope rather than reality. I still doubt Nintendo would allow that app.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's an interesting thought, but wouldn't it be easier to use moonlight to stream between your PC and switch? That's already available on linux, ARM and is open source. Oh, and works on a Nvidia GPU. I'm just a bystander, but it would seem a less roundabout way to go about things.

Sorry...as mentioned a couple times, the steam client (even the one for linux) only works on x86 architecture. The switch uses ARM.
EDIT: :ph34r:-ed

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's an interesting thought, but wouldn't it be easier to use moonlight to stream between your PC and switch? That's already available on linux, ARM and is open source. Oh, and works on a Nvidia GPU. I'm just a bystander, but it would seem a less roundabout way to go about things.

Sorry...as mentioned a couple times, the steam client (even the one for linux) only works on x86 architecture. The switch uses ARM.
EDIT: :ph34r:-ed

I will try it. In any case, it would be so cool being able to extract the app and port it to Switch... ^^

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Moonlight has ArchLinux support, and there's an arm port of Archlinux.
You could maybe get ArchLinux to work on the switch... but seems like too much hassle for one thing.

I'd wait for some homebrew down the line, like they did for the PSVITA :)

holypuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best bet is going to be Parsec. There's already an ARM version with the Android app. This is why Android on Switch would be incredible.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try it. In any case, it would be so cool being able to extract the app and port it to Switch... ^^
RemoteR works great with android devices to play windows games remotely on them... In fact this app worked better 4 me than the actual PS4 official remote app for my Sony Xperia Z2 using my PS4 Pro as my router is a crap and 2.4ghz low bandwidth only ;)...

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a gaming laptop?

Why would you even suggest that?? Im pretty sure this dude is smart enough to know about getting a laptop when he has a freakin switch. If youre gonna suggest something make it contexual, instead of wasting ppls time and stop tryna get your post count up.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why would you even suggest that?? Im pretty sure this dude is smart enough to know about getting a laptop when he has a freakin switch. If youre gonna suggest something make it contexual, instead of wasting ppls time and stop tryna get your post count up.

Wow, dude. Chill. It was nothing but an innocent suggestion. Nothing for you to get angry over. If you call that a "Waste of Time", then you're wasting everyone's time with your pointless outburst. >.>

Reactions: crazyxelite

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Why buy another Series X? Something happen to the 1st one?