Hacking Suggestion Steam in Switch

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, dude. Chill. It was nothing but an innocent suggestion. Nothing for you to get angry over. If you call that a "Waste of Time", then you're wasting everyone's time with your pointless outburst. >.>

No it wasnt it was a wack attempt at being a smart ass, insulting the OPs intelligence like a gaming laptop wouldnt cross the mind DUH but OP asked about the switch tho so why are you even defending that like it's not an obvious WASTE OF TIME, youre the pointless one for drawing your sword for dumb shit foh sound like kanye

Just shut up bruh nobody is about to argue with you and fuck the thread up, i said what i said oh well stay on the damn topic then, i came here to learn about whats going on not argue or read some childish ass suggestion like get a laptop man stfu at least make it funny smh

Last edited by MarzDaindigo,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They get too warm... And are too bulky.

A GPD Win might be more what you are looking for. It sells for the price of a Switch and is a full-fletched Windows device looking pretty much like a 3DS XL that had it's touch screen switched for a keyboard.

F1645EU-1-f8c0-Tniz.jpg

It has the hardware to get you enjoyable framerates in most modern games with low or medium graphics settings. If you want something more attractive, you might want to wait for the GPD Win 2, which is significantly beefier yet more expensive (probably 700$ at launch).

But for about 300$ that's most certainly the best you could get regarding portable Windows gaming.

Downside:
- it doesn't and will certainly never play Switch games at full speed

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: realjumy

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Since the Switch open the gates to Linux execution I have been thinking in the following: if the Switch can run ARM Linux, and the Steam Link is basically an ARM stream device running Linux... And the Switch has a better processor and more RAM... Can't we transform a Nintendo Switch into a portable Steam Link with an incorporated screen? :unsure:

Is the steam link's software arm, or arm64? Is it a standard distro like debian, or something heavily cut down like buildroot? You'll probably want to start there.

Porting a bunch of blobs that are potentially tied to hardware onto other slightly similar hardware is probably not that easy. I also can't imagine that valve hasn't implemented some kind of DRM.

Never mind that I can't get in-home streaming to maintain 1080p60 without an ethernet cable running between things due to how underpowered my 802.11n router is.

Hint: we have a root shell in Steam Link using ssh with user root and password steamlink

Sounds of internal screaming

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the steam link's software arm, or arm64? Is it a standard distro like debian, or something heavily cut down like buildroot? You'll probably want to start there.

Porting a bunch of blobs that are potentially tied to hardware onto other slightly similar hardware is probably not that easy. I also can't imagine that valve hasn't implemented some kind of DRM.

Never mind that I can't get in-home streaming to maintain 1080p60 without an ethernet cable running between things due to how underpowered my 802.11n router is.

Sounds of internal screaming

I have been using Steam Link by WiFi and the results are pretty good. I think I will start investigating the possibility of taking stuff out of the Link soon (as soon as my PhD gives me some kind of free time to spend).

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you even suggest that?? Im pretty sure this dude is smart enough to know about getting a laptop when he has a freakin switch. If youre gonna suggest something make it contexual, instead of wasting ppls time and stop tryna get your post count up.
Nothing to do with what you are flaming about.
I suggested a laptop since he said he is into pc gaming. Which is what he also says is kinda bulky. Though playing with keyboard and mouse, which is what pc gaming is all about, is indeed just that.

Reactions: MarzDaindigo

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggested a laptop since he said he is into pc gaming. Which is what he also says is kinda bulky. Though playing with keyboard and mouse, which is what pc gaming is all about, is indeed just that.
Dude it was a redundant suggestion, wasnt even needed

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Moonlight has the "caviat" of being an open source implementation of the nvidia streamin protocol, apart from that its the best solution to do "this" out there.

There might be the possibility of porting it to a switch natively.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here I don't see anyone using laptops anymore unless at school or ppl that take one to their work or university...

A few years ago there was lot of ppl with laptops playing games everywhere, now 4 years I never seen anyone with a laptop anywhere...

Nowadays I see everyone on their smartphones or tablets... I don't use my 11.6inch I7+GT650M laptop 4 years already and barely used it, my brother uses a laptop only at home and same 4 my father, however I only use my desktop at home and have nothing to do on the laptop.

I even wished I had not wasted money on my laptop back in 2012 as it would be enough today 4 a big upgrade 4 y desktop ;).

Last edited by guily6669,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is the thing -

- anything that requires a website login, is a service ;)
- anything that tells you "stream anywhere" - is a service ;)
- anything that tells you "regardless of hardware" is more or less lying (because you need as close to near realtime h265 encoding, which either is a dedicated "part" of your graphics hardware - or will munch significant resources, and not be as "lag free") ;)
- nVidia were the first (?) who implemented that "dedicated encoding feature" in hardware and an open sourced protocol (?) (they branded shadowplay).
- Moonlight is an open source implementation of said protocol and works very well.

- If someone should think about porting moonlight - controller talking to the app, and the app submitting the input signals over wlan - should be prefered over "native bluetooth" sync with your PC - but it might be a PITA.

- The switches Wifi is notoriously bad and flimsy (first gen(s) issue?) - so that 15 mbits realtime videostream, that has to decode with less than 15ms delay to be anywhere near usable - might be challenging for all the wrong reasons. :)

When moonlight streaming works, it works flawlessly. The end device needs to support near real time h265 decoding of a 720 or 1080p stream. In the moonlight implementations I've tested, h265 was far preferable over h264, not because of video quality - but because of lag reduction.

And for anyone looking to try Moonlight under linux mint on the switch, I believe I've read, that it wouldnt work for those who tried, for unknown reasons.

edit: People are still listing commercial streaming services for some reason.. ;)

Also fyi 8ms latency for a 20 mbps 1080p stream on Moonlight with both the graphics card and the decoder supporting realtime h265 en-(and de- )coding, was possible on a good wifi (n) network. Just to put something out there that could serve as a reference to all those streaming services proclaiming no, - WE have low latency, ... and everywhere! Wow.! (Gamer bait.)

Last edited by notimp,

NightStorm1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
When moonlight streaming works, it works flawlessly. The end device needs to support near real time h265 decoding of a 720 or 1080p stream. In the moonlight implementations I've tested, h265 was far preferable over h264, not because of video quality - but because of lag reduction.
Sorry but no. Moonlight never workd flawlessly. Alon the fact that you need to use Chrome for the App is total bullshit.

Moonlight is horrible. You will notice that the Moment you try anything with a more Advanced Streaming Algo. Input Delay is Horrible. Even on LAN. WAN is Unplayable.

Steam In Home Streaming is a bit better. Not much.

I use Parsec on my GPD Win for over a year now. Host on my PC at home. I play Witcher at Work over Internet at 1080p without Input Delay. Something Moonlight could not handle. Parsec should get a Switch Linux Version soon. One of the Dev got a Switch just for that reason.

Last edited by NightStorm1000,
Reactions: ker

ker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry but no. Moonlight never workd flawlessly. Alon the fact that you need to use Chrome for the App is total bullshit.

Moonlight is horrible. You will notice that the Moment you try anything with a more Advanced Streaming Algo. Input Delay is Horrible. Even on LAN. WAN is Unplayable.

Steam In Home Streaming is a bit better. Not much.

I use Parsec on my GPD Win for over a year now. Host on my PC at home. I play Witcher at Work over Internet at 1080p without Input Delay. Something Moonlight could not handle. Parsec should get a Switch Linux Version soon. One of the Dev got a Switch just for that reason.
Totally agree. Parsec works great in my GPD Win and RPi3.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

dovere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And for anyone looking to try Moonlight under linux mint on the switch, I believe I've read, that it wouldnt work for those who tried, for unknown reasons.

The chrome app doesn't work on switch because chromium do not support for NaCl
If someone get the actual google chrome to run then Moonlight should start working

Parsec should get a Switch Linux Version soon. One of the Dev got a Switch just for that reason.

I hope Parsec will be released for switch as homebrew, it will be much easier to use

Last edited by dovere,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: