Steam Games Coming to Consoles?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ponygals, Oct 21, 2016.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Will steam games, ever hit the console systems PS4, XBox etc. Or no, different companies, different games, never coming together?

2. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    uhm...

I'm confused. Both platforms share many games.

3. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Well one game I want to play thats on Steam is RWBY Grimm Eclipse and I don't see that one to be on the console side.

4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Well, steam is a platform. Each console company has its own process to get games published on its platform. It'll be up to the maker/publisher of the game as to which platform to try and get it on. If it's too pricey, or the hurdles are too high, then it might not show up. That's before you start talking about optimization for that platform.

Hey, just email the people who made the game and ask :D worst you'll get is no response.

gnmmarechal likes this.
  5. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Hahaha

6. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Steam (or VALVe I should say) doesn't control what games are on both platforms (excluding valve's games), that's up to the publishers/developers.

This thread is also titled in a very confusing way. You make it sound as if no steam games are on consoles.

Are you talking about cross platform multiplayer/

gnmmarechal likes this.
  7. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Well there was one game I wanna play called RWBY Grimm Eclipse and I don't think thats on any of the consoles.

8. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I honestly find it so strange that Steam itself hasn't landed onto Xbox/PS4. That just seems like such an intuitive move they should've done from the start TBH. Easier said than done, but if Steam has landed onto PC, OS X, and freaking Ubuntu, where the variation of machines that run those OSes varies from electric potato to supercomputers, I'm sure getting it right for consoles' specific specs won't be an issue.

Not all games would automatically work that way, obviously, but the Steamplay (or whatever it's called) stuff should.

Last edited by Lucifer666, Oct 24, 2016 - Reason: wank
  9. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I don't see why they'd do this. Games would not work automatically at all. I don't know what you mean by Steamplay. Steam game streaming? That could work, but many games that are only for Windows would have to be ported, and this is NOT up to Valve. It'd be essentially a competitor to PSN. I mean, this makes no sense. Sony/Microsoft have no interest in competition for software sales.

Steam may be available for Linux, but only games that have been ported to Linux or natively built for it work on Linux regardless of that.

I can see a number of reasons for Steam not to be on consoles.

10. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Just get it on the PC if you have one. If you don't, then you'll just have to wait for the console release.

11. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Oh NVM.

I recall seeing 'Steamplay' on a number of titles on the store alongside Windows and MAC as playable platforms. I assumed that was a type of game that ran off Steam. Just looked it up and I was wrong. Titles labeled 'Steamplay' give you licenses for the game on both OSes.

So yeah I'll take back the first post. Makes sense why it's not on consoles now.

I still think Steam itself should be available on the PS4/Xbone and then have it up to the developers to publish it there as well. (+ having it linked to the PSN store somehow.)

12. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    That, I call nonsense, as Microsoft/Sony would not want a competitor on their platforms.