Steam Controller Touchscreen Replaced with Buttons

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Taleweaver, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Taleweaver
    OP

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    For those of you who follow the progress of the steambox a bit, it may not be much of a surprise, but valve decided to swap the touchscreen of the controller for actual buttons.

(probably) original source
    source with some more background information

Comparison picture ('now' on the left; 'past' on the right):
    [​IMG]

---

So...how do you guys feel about it? (keep in mind that this is all prototype stuff...the end result may still change)

Personally, I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, I can certainly understand that if tests show that if the most expensive part (the touchpad) is the least used, they decided to ditch it. And the buttons will certainly be more accessible.
    On the other hand, it sure starts to look exactly the same as a 360 controller. And while that isn't necessary a bad thing (lots of games on steam were originally designed for that controller), there already is a 360 controller.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    By all accounts it was the touch pads that made it work well, also though it worked well on the DS for name entry and a select few games I am not sure the touch screen added all that much to gameplay of the sorts of things I tend to play. Going further if it is a slightly fiddled with PC I imagine it will still retain support for a keyboard and mouse at some level.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

3. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Lots of things I like about the controller and lots of things I hate.

Touch "analog" sticks? I don't like it, I am sure it works fine but given the choice I would rather have the tactile feedback of a stick (I notice they put some circles on the pad to try and help with that.)

The cross pad being made out of buttons? Again I don't like that at all, if your going to have a digital pad make it like Nintendo's or at least like Sony's.

The shape of the controller and ditching the touch pad for a couple of buttons? I like those things, the shape looks like you could play games on it for hours and be completely comfy. The touch screen in the middle of the pad is a bad idea... (Just use the pad on the left or right, it's redundant and the extra buttons actually do help)

Ammako likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Still going to wait until I try out the controller before I complain about it, though I am glad they took the screen in the center away, just didn't seem to make sense.

5. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    The controller still looks upside down to me

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    From what I've seen people say the touchpads use some special feedback method that has to be tried to be properly judged, and it feels more like you're rolling a trackball.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    inb4 the final design is just a slightly altered 360 pad. This is what happens when you try to fix what ain't broken.

I appreciate Valve trying to come around with something now, and if they can pull off an amazing new development, all the better for them. However, considering how well refined controllers are for their specific niche, it's a daunting challenge to pull off a worthwhile reinvention.

8. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You know, if they can replace directional key with a proper D-Pad (not one you found in X360 controller), it is a solid controller.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  9. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    That D pad makes me cry

McHaggis, EZ-Megaman, Foxi4 and 2 others like this.
  10. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

Just imagine trying to pull off some pixel perfect jumps on that thing... Makes my thumb hurt looking at it lol

TyBlood13 likes this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It IS broken if you try playing, say, RTS games on a controller though, which is what this is intending to fix with the touchpads in place of analog sticks. Whether it'll actually work is another matter entirely, of course, but I'm carefully optimistic about the thing.

12. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Valve, please take some ideas from Sony's Vita D-pad...

Ah well, still want one. It's interesting and seems more convenient than having to use Pinnacle Game Profiler to map keys to a 360 controller. (Which does not always work well/responsive enough for PC games not built for it.)

chavosaur likes this.
  13. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    I much prefer the new design. The lack of buttons on the touchscreen design was a bit worrisome. They just better not get rid of the touch pads.

14. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I'm kinda glad they're taking the controller in this new direction. Keeping their original innovative design while somewhat integrating the existing controller support into the mix, a pretty good idea if you ask me.

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it looks like a fucking speaker! :lol:

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Hey Valve, Nintendo 64 called, it says it wants its terrible C-Buttons back. This must be the most awkward D-Pad they could possibly come up with. I understand that it won't play the role of directional buttons 9 out of 10 cases, but I'd still like a traditional D-Pad on my controller for fighting games, 2D platformers and whatnot. I'm still not sold on the touchpads, but I'll reserve my judgement for when the gamepad is actually released.

kehkou likes this.
  17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They're getting closer, but I still can't see myself using the controller over a 360 pad. Though i'm really curious to try their strange new-age analog sticks. Seems like an interesting concept to me.
    The layout with the touch screen was just absolutely awkward looking though. Very poorly placed. With an improved dpad it'll be a much more viable controller.

18. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    i dont like track pads n track balls. the grips on this thing are still backwards. I hope someone makes support for ps3 controller. so far the ps3 is my pefered controller.

19. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Not a fan of the D-Pad but other than that it looks much more viable now.

20. Bobbyloujo

Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    United States
    The grips aren't backward. I imagine them working much better with the touchpads this way. I like this idea and I can't wait to use and see how good it really is.