Static IP question?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Sep 8, 2011.

Sep 8, 2011

Static IP question? by Aijelsop at 8:58 PM (664 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    I've seen numerous tutorials on how to get a static IP address for free (not illegal >-< Like programs and stuff do it for you), but I've also heard you need to call your ISP and pay some extra for a static IP.

I hate my changing IP... -.-

Is it possible to change your IP to static following these guides, or are they all fake?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are several grades of static IP it seems but assuming you do not need to run a SMTP server that interacts with bigger/more paranoid email providers you should be OK.

That is getting off topic though- to keep the same IP without renting one that redirects to your chosen/current IP probably is not going to happen (not to mention I do not think I have ever seen such a service work quite like that*) outside of exploiting a glitch in your ISP. You can however use a dynamic DNS client/provider to gain yourself a domain (or more likely subdomain) people can use to contact your chosen computer.
    http://www.inatech.eu/inadyn/dyndns_list.html has a list of providers but you can be more limited if you are going to use your router do "here I am" part.

*some DNS providers (and hacks) use similar ideas.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Most guides will get you either to use a proxy or an alternative DNS and don't actually change the IP assigned by the ISP.

The real method to get a static IP is to call your ISP and ask them about it. Whether or not they charge you for it depends on the ISP. Mine doesn't charge, and we can even switch it on their website. It'll take a couple days to put into effect, but that's it.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The thing is there's TWO kinds of IP addresses. Internal (LAN) and external (internet / WAN).

Internal are easy and free to make static, but aren't the kind that the internet sees.

Why exactly do you want a static IP?

5. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Minecraft. Every day or two my dynamic IP changes and it's annoying having to give all my friends my new IP so they can connect. I don't like Hamachi either, so don't recommend that please.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In that case it is all about the dynamic dns provider- unless you have a truly compelling reason to pay your ISP for a static IP (proper hosting/SMTP server being the usual two reasons) it should do the trick.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Assuming that the ISP even needs to be paid to switch to a static IP. You won't know until you call them (or check their website, but calling is quicker). Mine defaults to using a static IP, but I switched to dynamic to bypass waiting times for file hosting sites.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If your ISP won't give you a static one, use something like no-ip or DynDNS, which will give you a hostname (such as aijel.dyndns.org), and a program for your PC to automatically update that record to your IP, so people can just enter that subdomain instead of your IP, and as long as the DNS updater program runs on your PC, they'll be redirected to your current IP.

9. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    As others have said you need to ask your ISP, usually it's an extra (stupidly overpriced) charge.

I've used No-IP in the past and that worked well for me, but i'm currently on Virgin Media, and my IP although "dynamic" rarely changes, plus the lease time for my IP is 7 days, so as long as I check once a week that it hasn't changed I essentially have a static IP anyway [​IMG]
    (just need to hope that doesn't change when my new modem arrives tomorrow.....)

10. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Thanks. I think I'm going to use no-ip. Hopefully I can get it to work.